U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM

1,430 posts, read 3,490,634 times

Advertisements

I agree with the other posters, that is a commute that will simply drive you insane. I don't see how you couldn't find a similar place in say Germantown or Frederick. A commute Frederick wouldn't be exactly a piece of cake but it definitely wouldn't even come close to the nightmare that is I-66.

If you REALLY want to live in Haymarket then I would consider perhaps finding a teaching job in Loudoun, Prince William or Fairfax counties. With all of the growth going on in the DC area, I can't imagine landing one would be that difficult and you get the added bonus of living where you want without spending hours on the road.

People who think that traffic is free flowing in this area at 530 or 6 in the morning need to take a little early morning drive and witness how crowded the roads are even at those hours.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 AM

10 posts, read 26,307 times
Default that is my husband's commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenieblueeyes View Post
I teach school in Bethesda but can't afford Montgomery County. I have found a home outside of Haymarket. How congested is I-66E around 5:30 a.m.? Suggestions other than not buying in that area

queenieblueeyes,

It is a killer commute and gas will eat you alive. Coming home is even worse. When we moved to Gainesville (right next to Haymarket), my husband's job was in Fairfax, but now it is on the Bethesday side of DC. We live about as close as you can get to route 66, just one mile, but if he is not on it by 5:30 traffic is already slowing down. Traffic is lighter in the summer, when you won't be going to work, but heavy once school starts. We have considered uprooting and moving to Falls Church even though we love our house and our neighbors, etc, and have many good memories here. But the commute from here is insane; you may as well bring your jammies and sleep under your desk. If you're a teacher and you want to live in Haymarket, why don't you apply for a job here in PW county? This is a growing area and we have lots of schools, both public and private.

Linda

Old 07-25-2008, 02:52 PM

55 posts, read 177,285 times
We live in Bristow and my husband commutes to Bethesda M-F (it is 38 miles one way). He leaves at 5:10 a.m. and is normally in Bethesda at 5:55 a.m. He works on the edge of Bethesda. He leaves work at 2:45 p.m. and arrives at home at 3:50 p.m. That is without any car accidents, major rain or snowstorms which can make a huge difference. We have been in Bristow for almost 5 years now and there has not been many instances where he has been late to work or returning home late.

Now, I worked at Dulles Airport for years and it took me way more then that having to deal with 66 & 28 during the hours of 7:00 a.m. and on. He could get to Bethesda, MD faster then I could get to Dulles.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 AM

4 posts, read 13,699 times
Thank you all for your comments. I'm still thinking. Because the real estate market is so slow, I have time. I plan on trying out the commute once school starts before I make a decision.

I already am commuting from Alexandria to Bethesda (270 & Democracy) every day.

I'm 6 years from retirement ... so I won't leave my teaching job in MD. I am trying to buy a farm (horses) and prices in Montgomery County are SO much higher ... no comparison.

I already drive from Bethesda to Warrenton (where I board horses) to Alexandria a couple of times every week. That is NUTS!

I-66 is NUTS ... perhaps I'm NUTS ... but if I could leave early enough to beat the worst traffic in the morning, I generally can beat the traffic in the afternoon because I can leave at 2:30 in the afternoon.

By the way, I have friends (teachers at school) who drive 270 from the Frederick area. They say the same thing ... 270 is awful unless you're on it by 5:30 / 5:45.

Is 66 really worse than 270?

Again, your comments are helpful ... thank you.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM

257 posts, read 1,010,737 times
yeah i would definitely say 66 is way worse. it takes in western PWC, FFX, and Loudon. its just a long, constructed mess right now, really hurts the head to even think about that drive. try loudon for farms or something, but good god my hats off to you for considering that commute.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,558,659 times
I used to live in Gainesville and commuted to DC, and the commute nearly drove me to the nuthouse. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,362,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I used to live in Gainesville and commuted to DC, and the commute nearly drove me to the nuthouse. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
haha. We should open a psych-ward halfway down 66, take walk-ins and make a fortune.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,558,659 times
good idea! We could open one on nutley street and call it "the nuthouse on nutley" :lol:

Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,125 times
Default Haymarket to Bethesda Commute

I've been making this trek for about 2 years leaving at varied times.

I prefer to get onto I-66 by 5:30-5:45 AM. Traffic is not that bad and slowdowns are minimal, especially now that the new entrance to I-66 East is open off of 29 Southbound (I get there via Heathcote Blvd.). HOV is in effect, but you have the extra green arrow lane starting at Hwy 50 so getting through at or right after 5:30 AM you can usually fly.

I get to where I am going (off of Clara Barton/MacArthur Blvd) in an easy 40-45 minutes or so (depending on speed)... actually have done it faster but would not recommend that.

Leaving after 6 AM - I figure an hour commute at the most.

Leaving after 6:30 AM - figure a hour and 5-15 minutes or so on a usual day. Slowdowns at Manassas/234, Centreville, Hwy 50, and after Nutley St. are common at these times.

Of course, if you are going deep into Bethesda (i.e. Wisconsin Blvd.), add at least 15 minutes. If just off of River Road - maybe add 5-10 minutes. The later in the morning you go, the busier River Road is especially during the school year.

If you are going to the same area as me, maybe we can carpool!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 13,699 times
Thanks.

I'm going to try out the commute after Labor Day. I go to Democracy / I-270. Maybe we can share the commute. That'd be GREAT!

kb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia