U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 AM

595 posts, read 2,101,593 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be returning to the USA in October. I plan on buying a foreclosure from some fine lending institution. What I would like is for someone to give me advice on which institutions (banks) will waste my time and not give me a straight, timely response. Countrywide has more than 400 properties in VA, but they are sloppy. Some are listed as SFR, when in fact, they are TH. Many are listed for amounts higher than comps on realtor.com.
I've also looked at Wells Fargo, and IndyCrack err I mean Indymac. I think Citi has a nice chunk of properties in NoVa, also.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 AM

446 posts, read 1,226,749 times
Sounds like you probably know more than most people here on the subject. I know we have a couple of realtors who regularly post comments; perhaps they will respond to your query.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,630,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
I'm going to be returning to the USA in October. I plan on buying a foreclosure from some fine lending institution. What I would like is for someone to give me advice on which institutions (banks) will waste my time and not give me a straight, timely response. Countrywide has more than 400 properties in VA, but they are sloppy. Some are listed as SFR, when in fact, they are TH. Many are listed for amounts higher than comps on realtor.com.
I've also looked at Wells Fargo, and IndyCrack err I mean Indymac. I think Citi has a nice chunk of properties in NoVa, also.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Why do you want to buy a foreclosure? They're often in very bad shape. And I take it you want this information and advice for free, without going through a Realtor? Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Last edited by Margery; 07-15-2008 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 AM

65 posts, read 264,872 times
Default Stay away from Countrywide

In dealing with Foreclosures, I've had problems with every single Countrywide foreclosure. Not only is their response time awful, they screwed up my clients' financing, didn't close on-time, and misquoted closing figures. Such a bad experience.

Wells Fargo was OK to deal with. Just be aware, purchasing a foreclosure and/or short sales are not for those who can't handle unexpected and last minute problems.

Also regarding them being listed higher than comps, you can always put an offer in lower than the asking price. Depending on how desperate they are to get it off the books, they just might come close to what you'd like for it.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Why do you want to buy a foreclosure? They're often in very bad shape. And I take it you want this information and advice for free, without going through a Realtor? Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
Margery,

Most of the foreclosures I've seen ARE listed by Realtors, so eventually someone will earn their commission. IMHO, the average Realtor has sold less than one house this year, so not only are they working for free--THEY ARE PAYING TO WORK. I think I asked a straightforward question, and as the above poster shows--there are straightforward answers. I was kind of under the impression that this whole site is about free advice/opinions. Did I miss something?

Furthermore, there are Realtors out there, who have helped people get in deeper than the Marianas Trench (even homes with fancy countertops in "prestigious" zip codes). I'm trying to do my own footwork, and have access to the same data they do. Instead of driving around and having someone try to talk me in to going with "their" loan broker (I've got cash), or buying a home they are getting a bonus on, or being convinced to buy a manufactured home; I will narrow the choices myself and then call a Realtor. Preferably one, who will not make me vomit with cheap perfume and has managed to keep her weight under 70 Kilograms.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 AM

486 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Quote:
Margery,

Most of the foreclosures I've seen ARE listed by Realtors, so eventually someone will earn their commission. IMHO, the average Realtor has sold less than one house this year, so not only are they working for free--THEY ARE PAYING TO WORK. I think I asked a straightforward question, and as the above poster shows--there are straightforward answers. I was kind of under the impression that this whole site is about free advice/opinions. Did I miss something?

Furthermore, there are Realtors out there, who have helped people get in deeper than the Marianas Trench (even homes with fancy countertops in "prestigious" zip codes). I'm trying to do my own footwork, and have access to the same data they do. Instead of driving around and having someone try to talk me in to going with "their" loan broker (I've got cash), or buying a home they are getting a bonus on, or being convinced to buy a manufactured home; I will narrow the choices myself and then call a Realtor. Preferably one, who will not make me vomit with cheap perfume and has managed to keep her weight under 70 Kilograms.
You sound like a real joy to work with. Good luck getting responses from the people you are throwing insults at!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM

I think NoVa Realtors would do a lot more than just drool for a cash customer in this market.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM

65 posts, read 264,872 times
Not all Realtors are THAT bad...I sell mostly in the city and the market here is doing quite well And I don't wear perfume and have managed to keep my nice figure thank you very much!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,630,378 times
Quote:
I think NoVa Realtors would do a lot more than just drool for a cash customer in this market.
Like attracts like. You will find a drooling Realtor with the same outlook. I only drool for Tom Selleck (and my husband).

Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 16,553 times
Looks like you've done some homework on this subject. I recently bought a foreclosure home in Bristow area and here are my thoughts:

- countrywide and indymac both took their sweet time in responding
- indymac's addendum was several pages of legal mumbo jumbo... very daunting... would advise having a legal counsel assist deciphering it
- wells fargo was more responsive than countrywide/indymac... on the avg took 3 - 4 days to respond
- highly recommend being very anal about the closing process... the bank did not pay the hoa fees for several months and did not provide hoa resale package until after the closing.... the closing attorney held the funds until it came to settle the hoa account

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia