Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 19,268 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I appreciate all the knowledge shared on these boards. My fiance and I were out this past weekend looking at both new and resale homes in the Ashburn area. One development that caught our eye was Windermere, a development being built out by Pulte Homes. I understand that the development is supposed to be completed sometime in 2010 and construction started last year. It is a small community - less than 200 dwelling units split between single family homes and townhomes.

I am hopeful someone/anyone can shed any light on the development and living in the Broadlands in general. I have searched the board and found lots of good discussion regarding living in Ashburn, the Broadlands, and commuting, but would greatly appreciate any additional info on the area and Windermere in general. I have lived in the Sterling, VA for the past fourteen years and am amazed how little I know about the area.

Thanks,
BL23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
I don't know about that development but the Broadlands is very nice. (I live in Ashburn Farm) Also, I tend to like Pulte Homes. Our current home is Pulte built, be it 15 years ago. And my friend just built a Pulte home in Philadelphia and it is beautiful. I think they offer wonderful upgrades and have really nice layouts.
The only thing I don't like about a lot of the Broadlands is the trees are not yet as mature as say the Village or the Farm, but if you give it enough time they will be.
Good luck in whatever you do. I have built a new home and bought several resale homes. The thing I love about new construction is that everything is new and thus not a lot of worry about having the replace the rood, HVac, carpet, on and on for a long time. The thing I HATE about new construction is the waiting, and actually seeing poor work at times. When things are new that doesn't mean there will not be bugs to be worked out. In the home we built the counter tops had to be replaced TWICE, the cooktop THREE times, there were some tiles that were not layed properly and they had to be fixed, and the delays. We bought it in Feb 06 and didn't get to move in until Oct 06 due to rain delays and such. This time we bought a resale and although the headaches are less, there are a lot of things that need to be replaced which is an added cost to us.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 19,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I don't know about that development but the Broadlands is very nice. (I live in Ashburn Farm) Also, I tend to like Pulte Homes. Our current home is Pulte built, be it 15 years ago. And my friend just built a Pulte home in Philadelphia and it is beautiful. I think they offer wonderful upgrades and have really nice layouts.
The only thing I don't like about a lot of the Broadlands is the trees are not yet as mature as say the Village or the Farm, but if you give it enough time they will be.
Good luck in whatever you do. I have built a new home and bought several resale homes. The thing I love about new construction is that everything is new and thus not a lot of worry about having the replace the rood, HVac, carpet, on and on for a long time. The thing I HATE about new construction is the waiting, and actually seeing poor work at times. When things are new that doesn't mean there will not be bugs to be worked out. In the home we built the counter tops had to be replaced TWICE, the cooktop THREE times, there were some tiles that were not layed properly and they had to be fixed, and the delays. We bought it in Feb 06 and didn't get to move in until Oct 06 due to rain delays and such. This time we bought a resale and although the headaches are less, there are a lot of things that need to be replaced which is an added cost to us.

twinmma,

Thank you for your insights. We have heard good things about Pulte and love some of their open floor plans. This would be our first home purchase so it is a difficult decision comparing new to resale for us. That being said, we have seen both wonderful new and resale homes out and around Ashburn.

The trees not being mature is definitely something we noticed out in the Broadlands area (along with all the construction vehicles). I moved into a new home in Sterling with my family about 15 years ago into a new home and the neighborhood was the same way, little aged trees/vegetation. That being said, it is something special to look at the trees now and how much they have grown and say "Hey, I remember when..."

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia