U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,244,250 times

Advertisements

I am hearing lots of negativity about Woodbridge and it's schools and I am just wondering if it is really that bad. What about Manassas? If it is so bad what makes it bad? We have friends that love Woodbridge, they say there is definately a less desireable area but then doesn't every city have that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 AM

446 posts, read 1,114,991 times
Prince William County (holds Woodbridge, Manassas and Dale City) often receives some negativity due to the fact that it does have some lower income residents. But there are plenty of areas within PW that have nice neighborhoods and good schools. I'll be honest, the most time I have spent in PW over the past 22 years has been at Potomac Mills (the large outlet mall). I think what should concern you more is the distance PW is from the District. 66 in from Manassas and 95 in from Woodbridge can be really tough, although many people do it.

One thing I think you will find in the Northern VA area is that things can change fast. Springfield has great schools in zips 22152 and 22153, but things can change in 22150. The same can go for Falls Church, Alexandria. Arlington and so on. Areas where this is not true (where everything is pretty much good) would be Vienna, Oakton, Fairfax and of course McLean and Great Falls.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck with your move.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

585 posts, read 974,955 times
Some of the negativity about PWC schools is also due to snobbery. Fairfax County schools have this image of themselves as being without peer. It seems that for some people, acknowledging that PWC schools produce literate, thinking graduates threatens their sense of self-importance and righteousness.

As someone put it in another thread, PWC schools may be a step below Fairfax County, but they are still head and shoulders over most of the country. (I don't have personal experience with the schools, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this.)

Will you find some schools that aren't so great? Sure. You'll find that everywhere. Are there opportunities (both public and private) for bright kids? Definitely.

If you trust your friends' judgment, look in the area where they live and you'll probably be happy.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,704,247 times
on the majority Woodbridge and Manassas have lower preforming schools and more crime than most of Fairfax county. But that is not to say that there are some bad areas in fairfax with crime and lower preforming schools as well...there is. More non english speaking students etc will bring the test scores down (now this doesn't mean the kids aren't smart as whips and GOOD kids...they just have difficulty taking a wriotten english test)

West Springfield is very good eastern by the mall not so good. Alexandria has some top notch places but also includes part of rt 1 that is less than desirable.

so you have to do research which is VERY time consumming and ask questions here, seriously, if you post an address people will be very honest in the assement of the area in reguard to schools crime etc...

Woodbridge has some nice areas with very good elementary schools. My biggest hicup with the area was the HS. they are fine with some but it just wasn't the fit I was looking for with my child.
Lakeridge is an area (neighborhood) in Woodbridge that Lots of people really like and say the schools are good, so I think it would work for you. so if you are leaning toward woodbridge I'd Start with Lakeridge.

But the commute will be bad if your husband has to drive. If he plans on using mass transit make sure to research schedules etc.. and make sure it's condusive to his work schedule. If he has to drive that added monthly expense of gas could add up real quick and you could have usedthat toward rent closer in with metro acess.

Manassas is simulair to Woodbridge in rep...but it does have some nice family areas etc.. but you just have to research where they are. My advice is if you are willing to go out to manassas then look into Gainsville area...
But again..that commute even on VRE would be long.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 AM

73 posts, read 171,667 times
I agree Lakeridge/Westridge is very nice in Woodbridge. For elementary schools: Westridge/Springwoods are good. Middle school: Benton High School: students can choose via their specialty programs. For high schools I would definitely look closely at each school. Garfield is like two schools in one: if you are in the IB program, you are fine -- if you don't do the IB program then it is really iffy. I have no issues with the high schools in Pr. Wm. as my child got a great education but took strictly honors/AP courses.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:40 PM

5,272 posts, read 6,726,399 times
The Manassas zip codes cover a large area and can vary greatly. My zip code is Manassas, but we live only 4 miles from I95, next to the community of Montclair.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 AM

595 posts, read 1,579,406 times
Where there is smoke; there is usually fire......

Old 07-20-2008, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 49,516 times
I too am moving to the area and did a lot of looking into schools. schooldigger.com, schoolsmatter.com and the county websites have a lot of info about the schools. I heard the same things about Woodbridge-- seems like there are pockets of good areas and a lot of areas with issues. We decided on Gainesville--PWC schools (good schools there and Bristow, Nokesville, Haymarket). I spoke to people with children in the schools and they were happy. Manassas has some nice areas, what I didn't like about the school is that they are HUGE-- the middle school looks like a small college.With such numbers, there are bound to be problems I think. Just an opinion though. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 PM

270 posts, read 510,041 times
Tell me about it. Fort Belvoir Elementary has nearly 1300 students! That's a lot of kindergartners. Westfield HS in FFX county has like 3300 students. School's tend to be much larger in VA than in the Northern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia