Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,236 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating from midwest, husband has been offered engineering job in Fredericksburg, VA. Can anyone tell me about the area for raising a family? It sounded like a nice, historic, college town--small town feel but, close enough to enjoy benefits of DC. From my visit, the historic downtown/surrounding neighborhood below the college were very nice--but, was surprised at how different my surroundings felt within just a few blocks of those areas. Rough, to be honest--getting a very mixed vibe. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummond View Post
Considering relocating from midwest, husband has been offered engineering job in Fredericksburg, VA. Can anyone tell me about the area for raising a family? It sounded like a nice, historic, college town--small town feel but, close enough to enjoy benefits of DC. From my visit, the historic downtown/surrounding neighborhood below the college were very nice--but, was surprised at how different my surroundings felt within just a few blocks of those areas. Rough, to be honest--getting a very mixed vibe. Any advice greatly appreciated.
If you are going to move to that area, Spotsylvania would probably be more of the place for raising a family. Good schools, nice neighborhoods, etc. If your husband is going to work in Fredericksburg you should have it made! Most of the people have to commute from there to DC or Northern VA and that usually is a nightmare. The traffic on Rt. 3 can get quite congested (this is near the mall and central park). Another place you could consider is further down near Massaponax. That area is convenient and has its own Walmart, Target, Lowes, and many more so you don't have to go to Rt. 3 unless you need to go to the mall. Overall the area is relatively safe and full of families. There are a few less desirable areas around but nothing compared to a bad area in a big city.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
If you search for posts by myself or EricD, you will see we have posted a lot of information on the Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg area. Eric grew up there and is currently a bit further south, and I was there for four years before heading further south. And I will totally admit the traffic (husband commuted north) is why we left. Anyway, if you have any other questions let us know.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
Hi!

As onevthoki said, I grew up in the Fredericksburg area (Spotsylvania), and as fjennell said, if your husband is going to be working in Fredericksburg, you're probably going to need to look at homes in Spotsylvania County. The city is really nice, but you were right about some areas not being as nice as the area 'below' the college. In downtown Fredericksburg, the nice areas are pretty expencive. Within the city limits, there is a new community called 'Idlewild' where you can buy a nice home for around $300k, and be within the city limits, and close to shopping and everything...

But anyways, you'd just need to look into Spotsy. There are so many communities, it would be impossible to list them all. What are you looking for? Do you want a big yard, or low maintenance? Do you want to be out in the country, or maybe just near some parks? Do you want a community with an HOA and pool, or no HOA? That might help with recommending areas to look into.

Fredericksburg is really a great place to grow up, and the area has some pretty nice schools too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia