Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 AM

3 posts, read 10,301 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from the UK
I'm looking at a duplex in Alexandria which was advertised as being in Del Ray. When I look on the map it seems to be in St Elmo. Close to Del Ray but also close to the dreaded Arlandria. Is this a safe, pleasant place for a couple and a three year old.

Thank you

Any help would be most gratefully received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM

17 posts, read 46,380 times
Hello Alexandria Del Ray is not the worst area but it is also not the best area in Alexandria either. The area can get very congested with traffic especially around Route 1. As for the crime..well I don't think it is that bad but it probably has more crime than some other areas of Alexandria. If you really want a nice area I would try Kingstowne or Alexandria City or even parts of Fairfax County like Burke, Springfield, or Fairfax. They tend to be a bit more expensive but you definitely get what you pay for here. I'm not sure if or where you will be working but those areas are not too far from DC. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks. My husband will be working in Crystal City. The Del Rayish Area was our first choice because it would mean he could bike or even walk to work. Our relocation expenses are going to be so much that we may have to be carless for a while.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:10 PM

446 posts, read 1,641,727 times
I would say DEL RAY all the way!!!!!!!

First off, I love St. Elmo's. My girlfriend and I go there sometimes on Saturday nights to grab coffee, a cookie and listen to the live musicians play there. There are tons of restaurants and cool shops along Mt. Vernon Avenue. A true gem in this big area of big box stores and suburbia! Mt. Vernon Avenue is your classic "high street." (I'm actually in England now).

I want to first emphasize how critical it is that you're husband is close to his job. So many people move here and underestimate the commute. This would be wonderful for you. If you are carless--not a problem. Frequent bus service is available up and down Mt. Vernon Avenue taking you south to Old Town/Braddock Rd or King St Metros and north to Crystal City.

I hope you move to Del Ray and get to enjoy your time here instead of being stuck on our crowded motorways!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM

42 posts, read 279,884 times
What street is it on? Del Ray is an excellent location but as you have noted it gets sketchier towards the north.

Don't underestimate the value of being able to walk to work.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,852,863 times
Are you talking about the area northeast of Del Ray, closer to Rt. 1 vs. Mt. Vernon Ave.? If so, that area is fine. Just more blue collar than Del Ray, which is very yuppy nowadays. The walk to the heart of Del Ray isn't that far. The rents should be cheaper too.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks so far... street is Laverne Avenue.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,588,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro21 View Post
We're relocating from the UK
I'm looking at a duplex in Alexandria which was advertised as being in Del Ray. When I look on the map it seems to be in St Elmo. Close to Del Ray but also close to the dreaded Arlandria. Is this a safe, pleasant place for a couple and a three year old.

Thank you

Any help would be most gratefully received.
Del Ray is a great place to live! and LaVerne is not a bad street. I used to live on E. Randolph St. (for 9 years, got to watch the entire yuppification of Mt Vernon Ave.). I really miss my friends and neighbors.

Stupidly I moved to WV about 6 years ago, got divorced, and here I am stuck. I miss Del Ray so much and would LOVE to move back there. But now I can't afford it! Grrrr.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:30 AM

40 posts, read 66,746 times
Hey I apologize for bumping an eight year old post, but how is the St Elmo neighborhood now? Is it in transition? I was looking at a place by Clifford Ave and Manning Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia