U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,349 times

Advertisements

We are Looking for an apt in Herndon area and we saw a apt by name stuart woods. Actually i just want to know whether the apt is good and safe. Please suggest.

With Regards
Sriha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,360 times
Default re: apartment

When my wife and I were looking for an apartment in Herndon, we went through Stuart Woods and weren't particularly impressed. We've now lived at Dulles Greene (on Rock Hill Rd, just outside the town limits) for a little over a year, and its been great so far. I think its also a better value than the other apartments in Herndon. However, since Dulles Greene is close to 28 (its actually essentially at the corner of 28 and the toll road) and Stuart Woods is in town, and closer to Reston, it may depend on what you're looking for as well.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times
I figured it would be best to resurrect an old thread instead of starting a newer repetitive one, further cluttering this great forum of ours. I will be working for DCAA, which appears to be literally right next to Stuart Woods, hence why I've taken a keen interest in the prospect of being able to WALK to work and save money on gas (every penny helps when you're only going to be earning $42,000!)

I read dozens of reviews of the complex from as far back as 2007, and it seems like people are polar opposites in their opinions. Some people absolutely adore the place. Others vehemently slam it, citing issues with white-trash neighbors, errant children, loud dogs, etc. I've noticed some prices say "Renovated" after them and others don't say that. The "renovated" models are all over $1,300 per unit for a 1-bedroom whereas the not renovated ones, which I couldn't find available, are probably cheaper. What sorts of "renovations" occurred over the past few years to justify spiking up the monthly rental costs so much?

Coincidentally I've also been investigating Dulles Greene, and if Stuart Woods doesn't pan out for me then this complex seems idyllic. I'm looking into renting a 1 BR, 1 BA unit there that is a mere $1,122/month for 815 square feet. This complex would be about four miles away from my workplace; however, Mapquest is directing me AROUND Elden Street, which is a straight shot and would probably halve the distance. Is Elden Street really THAT congested through Herndon to justify bypassing it? Bear in mind that I'd probably be going into work for 6 AM (perhaps leaving at 5:45 AM) and coming home after 4 PM (I wouldn't mind battling traffic to get home as long as I don't run late for work in the mornings).

Thanks in advance for any help you all could provide! Is it better to fork over $1,300/month for a 1-BR in Stuart Woods so I can walk to work, or is it worth the drive to pay $1,122/month for a similarly-appointed unit in Dulles Greene?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,815,911 times
Scranbarre--I saw a for rent sign on the Crescent Apartments near Lake Anne Plaza. You could easily walk to work from there. I don't know anything about the building, but it's something else to invstigate. Also, there's a place called St. Johns Woods that people used to love--of course that was years ago, but it might be worth checking out.

crescent apartments reston - Google Maps

Not sure where Dulles Green is, but if it's near the Town Center you will still be able to walk to work. The trails make it very easy, and there are also plenty of sidewalks. Another thought: With the current foreclosures, I'd think you could find a great deal renting a condo in the RTC. That would be cool for a young guy like you.

Last edited by normie; 04-06-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Scranbarre--I saw a for rent sign on the Crescent Apartments near Lake Anne Plaza. You could easily walk to work from there.

crescent apartments reston - Google Maps

Not sure where Dulles Green is, but if it's near the Town Center you will still be able to walk to work. The trails make it very easy, and there are also plenty of sidewalks.
OHHHHH!!!! I'm liking what I see! Rep points for you! I somehow overlooked this community in my prior research.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
OHHHHH!!!! I'm liking what I see! Rep points for you! I somehow overlooked this community in my prior research.
Well, it's a good news/bad news thing. Crescent Apartments are probably the most rundown part of Lake Anne.

But they don't look so bad, and the good news is you're in Lake Anne. I think you would really like the Lake Anne community. It's got an interesting history and a relatively cool vibe. Just the ticket for a person like you who doesn't want strip malls, etc. Distinctive architecture, quirky stores, little mom-n-pop shops, bookstores, cafes and restaurants. (And, of course, if you do want the strip malls they're an easy walk just across Reston Parkway.)

Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm going to look more around Lake Anne. From what I've researched in the past ten minutes or so the Crescent Apartments are very "sketchy." There's only one washer/dryer unit per six apartments, which logistically seemed like an underestimation on behalf of management. Several people complained about an "element" hanging around (with it being an "income-controlled community" I'm not surprised to hear that). People also complained about the maintenance staff being very slow and often not being able to speak English. I also can't find any rental rates on a 1-bedroom unit there (not a good sign).

Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 PM

OK, I'm posting this way too quickly so my apologies if these are out of order... but here are a bunch of photos I took two weeks ago. I was walking the trail around Lake Anne and snapped some pictures of "spring arriving." But they could be helpful to you, they give you an idea of the neighborhood.

http://www.keogan.com/ann2.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM

More Lake Anne trail:

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM

More Lake Anne. The really tall building is called Heron House. It has apartments and I think that would be a really great place to live. I have no idea how one gets an apartment there, though.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia