U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 AM

84 posts, read 443,816 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NOVA in September and would love to be able to get NFL Sunday Ticket. Does anyone know if DirecTV services the area and about how much it costs? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM

112 posts, read 771,351 times
You can get DirecTV anywhere just as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky. It's a satellite based service. If you can't find a local installer, they have a self install kit with instructions.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM

323 posts, read 609,860 times
I pay about $64/mo for DirecTV but I might be paying more than the basic rate because of HD service... which is worth every penny, especially during football season!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 AM

595 posts, read 2,100,425 times
Dish is cheaper. Both are better than cable.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,365,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
Dish is cheaper. Both are better than cable.
but you cannot get the NFL package on dish, only the NFL network

Old 08-03-2008, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,563 times
Direct tv has begun a practice that allows them to go into your checking account or charge your credit card for outstanding balances, cancellation fees, equipment or even ppv orders, unauthorized charges. This is without your consent or permission. EVEN without a bill.

the rep also inform me that it is now direct tv practice that all customers must have credit or bank cards on file so that they can deduct charges. I ask how was this possible without having a consumer permission. this was when she inform me that all consumers agree to this when signing up for service, it is in the customer agreement. that they will use any cards showing in their systems in which the customer has made payments with in the past, she verified that i had 2 credit cards stored in their system in which they save when payments are made, also this is without having consumer permission.

so despite not having permission or even a bill, direct tv will debit your credit or bank card. BEWARE! this angers me, my account wasnt in collections, i have never been behind on their bills and pay consistently, nor was their any outstanding balance. i hadnt even gotten a bill yet, the fact they are able to go into banking account without my knowledge or permission is unethical to me.

******I am including the web link of their agreements so that you can see what they use but isnt verbally stated about their practices of debiting customers bank accounts. DIRECTV - Customer Agreement.

you can also google and read more about this billing practice.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,318,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoceanbreeze View Post
Direct tv has begun a practice that allows them to go into your checking account or charge your credit card for outstanding balances, cancellation fees, equipment or even ppv orders, unauthorized charges. This is without your consent or permission. EVEN without a bill.

the rep also inform me that it is now direct tv practice that all customers must have credit or bank cards on file so that they can deduct charges. I ask how was this possible without having a consumer permission. this was when she inform me that all consumers agree to this when signing up for service, it is in the customer agreement. that they will use any cards showing in their systems in which the customer has made payments with in the past, she verified that i had 2 credit cards stored in their system in which they save when payments are made, also this is without having consumer permission.

so despite not having permission or even a bill, direct tv will debit your credit or bank card. BEWARE! this angers me, my account wasnt in collections, i have never been behind on their bills and pay consistently, nor was their any outstanding balance. i hadnt even gotten a bill yet, the fact they are able to go into banking account without my knowledge or permission is unethical to me.

******I am including the web link of their agreements so that you can see what they use but isnt verbally stated about their practices of debiting customers bank accounts. DIRECTV - Customer Agreement.

you can also google and read more about this billing practice.
Never heard of them requiring CC or checking account info and they do not have my bank account info nor any credit card info. I looked at your first link and I did not see anything referencing this although I will admit I did not have time to read every single word. Most importantly, they do have a right to collect fees that you owe them, so if you pay you bill, this shouldn't be an issue. Directv would not be the only one to want to collect their unpaid fees.

edit: I did see one section where it says you acknowledge that you gave them your credit/debit card info and they can collect the fees you owe them. I don't see the problem with this.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM

84 posts, read 443,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Never heard of them requiring CC or checking account info and they do not have my bank account info nor any credit card info. I looked at your first link and I did not see anything referencing this although I will admit I did not have time to read every single word. Most importantly, they do have a right to collect fees that you owe them, so if you pay you bill, this shouldn't be an issue. Directv would not be the only one to want to collect their unpaid fees.

edit: I did see one section where it says you acknowledge that you gave them your credit/debit card info and they can collect the fees you owe them. I don't see the problem with this.
They probably put bogus charges on there from time to time hoping you won't notice. But what's to stop someone from giving them an acount to put on file, then closing the account?

Also, how do you pay your monthly charges without giving them a personal check or credit card number?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM

593 posts, read 2,246,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
You can get DirecTV anywhere just as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky. It's a satellite based service. If you can't find a local installer, they have a self install kit with instructions.
In my experience, they will usually install it for free. Just go to any local electronics retailer (BB, CC, Radio Shack, etc.) and you'll find that installation comes free with a 1-yr contract now.

I used to work for an electronics store that sold DirecTV, and I can honestly say that they are the best price-wise. They have low prices, which is nice, but they rarely raise the rates, which is where others really get ya. Ever notice how often the cable co's sneak a little rate hike into the fine print of a bill?

Only disadvantage of DTV is that it can't do internet access. Well it can - but that part is so slow and only worth it in rural areas. For low price and sports, though, I'd say go for it. And just get your internet from a fiber optic provider if possible.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM

7 posts, read 15,479 times
Right now, Verizon is the only fiber optic provider in the area (unless AT&T has gotten in on the market here as well). There are a lot of things that come into play with fiber optics - working out the contracts to install lines, mounting signal boxes (you need to be within range of one to receive service), etc. It's in select spots of NOVA, and it's slowly branching out. Had this before we moved - best thing ever. We only have DTV because Fios (Verizon) or U-verse (AT&T) are not available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia