U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 AM

34 posts, read 69,777 times
Default Stafford County Schools

There has been alot of discussion about schools isn PWC and Fairfax County, but I haven't read much about Stafford County schools. How do these schools (elementry, middle & high) rate or compare to the neighboring counties? Any all info is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 AM

2,528 posts, read 4,974,872 times
All of the illegal immigrants that left Prince William County now reside and are schooled in neighboring counties like Stafford

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 69,777 times
VRE332,
That doesn't tell me anything about how well the schools educate the students, or the quality of the education compared to or percieved by the neighboring counties.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,354 times
AMT660,
I am applying to PWC from Stafford as a new Math teacher. The situation seemed to be similar. We could not hire more teachers in Staffod. I have a son under IEP, but I felt they do not want to spend any more time and energy to support my son in general ed class.

Quality -- it is depend on which school and teacher. Under some old teachers who do not want or cannot afford to learn updated skills, material, and philosophy; students are greatly discouraged.
Because of more techonology integration in PWC, I like schools in PWC.

My personal recommendation is Colonial Forge HS in Stafford. You can also go to the DOE and find more details. Good luck.
VDOE:: Reports & Statistics (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/Publications/ - broken link)

Regards;

Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM

73 posts, read 168,347 times
I would look closely at the sped program in PWC. They are doing MAJOR cutbacks -- self-contained classes and co-taught classes are minimal plus they are not getting a lot of attention in the general ed classes either. Our superintendent is very into "appearances" -- take a look at the new headquarters building. And since appearances "matter" -- the principals have taken to making their schools LOOK good by installing the smart boards etc. ets. while we run out of paper/copy machines being out of order etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 AM

250 posts, read 559,844 times
Stafford is average. PWC is average. Fairfax gets good marks but...its all based on state standards. Sure fairfax can get the kids up to that standard but if the standard generally is low-who cares? In the end its more based on teacher than specific district. You can be in the best district and have a cruddy teacher or be in the worst district and have a phenomenal one.
This opinion comes from someone who moved their kids out from southern california though. My kids are a year ahead now that they're here. However...that said, its the state SOLs (standards) that are lower here. Our teacher teaches based on those standards. My child reads at a second grade level here (he left in the middle of K where he read only average compared to his class in southern ca)so the teacher hasn't done squat academically. Why? he's already passed the state standard so why have a higher expectation? You can find this anywhere.
Stafford is comparable to the others is what Im saying. I'd suggest finding a good area, one you like, feel comfortable and safe in, maybe talk to principals at the schools as well and get a feel. You can always go on greatschools.com but I found that not very helpful at all, the ranks are only as good as the standards again, and the reviews are only as good as the parents who write them.
I do agree with the previous comment that appearances matter. They do down here in stafford/spotys county as well. The computer room is nice and pretty but the teaching is definitely not up to par.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia