U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM

74 posts, read 184,974 times

Advertisements

We just got the word that my husband got a job working at Ft Belvoir. We're currently living in Tucson, AZ and we need to be out in VA in 1-2 weeks.

We're looking for a SFH that's not a horrendous commute. I've heard Woodbridge is bad for for the commute? What about Springfield?

We're looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 4 would be nice but not absolutely necessary. $2000/mo or less would be good, I think our max would be about $2100 unless utilities are included.

What are some good areas to look at? Any good websites for housing? Right now I'm looking at militarybyowner, craigslist, and AHRN.

Oh and schools? Which areas have good schools? My oldest one will be going to kindergarten next year although we may be considering private school...we haven't decided yet. I suppose some of it will depend on the schools in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 PM

270 posts, read 804,041 times
Seems like the whole state of Arizona is moving to Ft. Belvoir. You can check out some of the other threads, but in short, live North of the base to make your commute easy. Fairfax county schools are generally very good -- the ones that aren't have more to do with local demographics than the quality of instruction. A cookie cutter but practical suburban-style area for you is Kingstowne. You could also consider some parts of Franconia. Both are quick trips to Belvoir with decent schools. If you want a large house - instead of the good schools and quick commute - you'll have to look further west like Springfield. Resist the temptation to live South of the base - that puts you in the commuting nightmare. Also avoid the area close to Route 1. Another possible area to consider is zipcode 22307 - but stay east of Route 1, the further east the better. This area is an old suburb of DC and has a great variety of mostly Single Family houses, but there are townhouses too and it's worth looking there. BTW this area is known as Alexandria and is in Fairfax County, but is not to be confused with the City of Alexandria, which has its own school system. In general, you're probably better off staying in Fairfax county if schools are a top priority.

The private school market in Fairfax county isn't very strong due to the excellent public schools. There are private schools, but they are generally pricey. Parochial elementary schools are a bargain at around $5k/year. Montessori schools are around $6-7K. The basic private elementary schools are closer to $10K/year. Private high schools range from Catholic High Schools around $11k to private schools like Saint Stephens that run $19K or higher. For a real bargain, there's the Islamic Saudi Academy near Ft. Belvoir - only $3K/year for non-Saudis!

Last edited by kevbros; 08-08-2008 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 07:15 AM

798 posts, read 2,484,165 times
Another zipcode to look around is 22315 which includes the area Kingstowne that kevbros mentioned above. If you find a rental that you really like but it is a bit higher then you want to go, one of my co-workers was telling me that they asked for a slightly lower rent and the owner agreed. Don't know how common that is but worth a try..

Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM

How much of a commute are we looking at if we're in Springfield?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:28 PM

798 posts, read 2,484,165 times
It really depends on where in Springfield you are looking. Belvoir is a huge base with many gates. We are less then a 1 1/2 miles from the Telegraph gate where we live in Alexandria (22315). I am at the BX and commissary in just under 3 miles. It is very convenient. You might want to mapquest the address of any place you are considering to your husbands work place. I would recommend coming back here then then and asking about the roads he will take just to check because some routes are much more congested then others.. Just a thought..

Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 67,384 times
I live in North Springfield and am right off I-495. We go to Fort Belvoir quite often and it takes about 15 minutes without traffic. The schools in our area are great. The zip code is 22151 and our neighborhood is called King's Park.

Off topic, but we used to be stationed out at Fort Huachuca!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:08 AM

595 posts, read 2,101,039 times
The worst public school in FCPS would still be in the top fifth of Arizona's ultra crappy public school system. I would be more concerned about the Arizona kids being able to handle the FCPS workload, than nitpicking to find the absolute top rated school.
The only thing I miss about Arizona is two for one tacos on Mondays and Tuesday at Alex's Taco Truck in Nogales. It only lasted for two months after the city forced him to collect sales tax--so it's not even there anymore. Brooklyn Pizza on 4th Ave. was real good, though.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 18,018 times
Default Look at Vantage Community as well

Another good area is the Vantage Community off of South KIngs Highway between Telegraph and Route 1. ( Has an Alexandria 22306 Zip but is in FFX County). Access to Ft. B vis Kingman Gate on Telegraph. Quiet very nice area to live in. It borders Kingstowne. Rent for single family homes 1800-2100. Many homes for rent/sale all the time. Schools are good and nearby. Very convienient access as well. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
We just got the word that my husband got a job working at Ft Belvoir. We're currently living in Tucson, AZ and we need to be out in VA in 1-2 weeks.

We're looking for a SFH that's not a horrendous commute. I've heard Woodbridge is bad for for the commute? What about Springfield?

We're looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 4 would be nice but not absolutely necessary. $2000/mo or less would be good, I think our max would be about $2100 unless utilities are included.

What are some good areas to look at? Any good websites for housing? Right now I'm looking at militarybyowner, craigslist, and AHRN.

Oh and schools? Which areas have good schools? My oldest one will be going to kindergarten next year although we may be considering private school...we haven't decided yet. I suppose some of it will depend on the schools in the area.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
The worst public school in FCPS would still be in the top fifth of Arizona's ultra crappy public school system. I would be more concerned about the Arizona kids being able to handle the FCPS workload, than nitpicking to find the absolute top rated school.
The only thing I miss about Arizona is two for one tacos on Mondays and Tuesday at Alex's Taco Truck in Nogales. It only lasted for two months after the city forced him to collect sales tax--so it's not even there anymore. Brooklyn Pizza on 4th Ave. was real good, though.
Schools really aren't a top priority of my list. More than likely my son will be going to montessori or we'll be home schooling. It's not totally decided yet though so I thought I'd ask about the school system. One thing great about AZ is all the charter schools. My son could have gone to any number of montessori charter schools in the area for free...in VA I'm gonna have to pay $$$ which stinks. I love the charter school system.

And I'm an AZ girl at heart. I'm sure NoVA is great for some people but it's not my style so this will be a rough move for me. The thought of the temp dropping below 70 degrees makes me want to cry. I love sunshine almost 365/yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaman View Post
Another good area is the Vantage Community off of South KIngs Highway between Telegraph and Route 1. ( Has an Alexandria 22306 Zip but is in FFX County). Access to Ft. B vis Kingman Gate on Telegraph. Quiet very nice area to live in. It borders Kingstowne. Rent for single family homes 1800-2100. Many homes for rent/sale all the time. Schools are good and nearby. Very convienient access as well. Good Luck.
Thanks I'll look into it!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,626 times
What is the approximate date of your arrival. Moderator Cut: Advertising.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-13-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or