Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:05 PM

264 posts, read 854,849 times

Advertisements

I meant to put it in quotes "free" - I said we paid taxes on top of fairfax county- that is supposed to cover services like trash etc.. that shows it's in no way free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 PM

42 posts, read 125,408 times
Hey Regan,
The places you discussed are between the airport and DC.

However the further you get from DC the more your money will stretch. If you go on the other side of Dulles, even by just 10 minutes, you get into some areas where you can get a mansion for HALF the price in Great Falls.

Also there are MANY bank sales in Loudoun. Recently I helped somebody get a place that was previously $800,000 for $400,000.

So if DC is not your priority and you want bank for your buck, then look further out.

Moderator cut: sig removed

Last edited by autumngal; 08-15-2008 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: signatures and website addys are not permitted

Old 08-09-2008, 08:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
A clarification, trash is once a week and recyclables are once a week.. As you said, free since we pay town of vienna taxes on top of ffx cty.. (we've been happy with town services)
Ah, I stand corrected, then. They must use the same trucks for both jobs. Either that or my typical drives take me along multiple routes, as I seem to see the trucks more often than once a week...

Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 PM

As the economists say, there is no such thing as a free lunch. But the town taxes are a lump sum that you pay regardless. What you get in return is a pretty nice package of valuable services that happens to include trash collection at no charge. A typical non-resident in the area could expect to pay better than $500 per year for residential trash collection. That's pretty close to half the town taxes on a $600K home right there...even though the $.18 per hundred rate I noted earlier has been raised to $.21 for 2008...

Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 AM

11 posts, read 22,996 times
Dear Frank,

Thanks for your comment on Loundoun. Are there any significant differences between demographics in Loundoun and Great Falls? Even though we appreciate bank for the buck and wouldn't mind a mansion, I'm a bit concerned when you say that the there are lots of bank sales. Can we also find these in Great Falls with the credit crunch you are experiencing now?

Do you also know what we can expect to pay for schooling etc for our daughter. Are non-private schools free in Fairfax and Loundoun?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:00 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan View Post
Dear Frank,

Thanks for your comment on Loundoun. Are there any significant differences between demographics in Loundoun and Great Falls? Even though we appreciate bank for the buck and wouldn't mind a mansion, I'm a bit concerned when you say that the there are lots of bank sales. Can we also find these in Great Falls with the credit crunch you are experiencing now?

Do you also know what we can expect to pay for schooling etc for our daughter. Are non-private schools free in Fairfax and Loundoun?
Public (non-private) schools in both Fairfax and Loudoun are funded through property taxes.

Langley High School and the other schools in the Great Falls area are known to be exceptional while the schools in Loudoun are known to be very good.

There will be a demographic difference between Loudoun and Great Falls - it will be subtle and has a lot to do the with the substantially higher prices of houses in Great Falls. I have not investigated bank sales but would imagine that there would be substantially fewer bank sales in Great Falls than in Loudoun.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 AM

116 posts, read 427,993 times
I recommend that you look at Greatscools.net - It will tell you ratings for the schools and also demographic information. I find that very helpful because there are some areas around here with a large immigrant population, and it is nice to know that before you move to a particular neighborhood. For instance, I was researching some areas in Vienna and found a school or two that was majority latino. That would be a great asset if you want your child to learn spanish growing up. So anyway, it's good to research as much as possible the schools ahead of time.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 22,996 times
:-) Thanks all

I see there are quite a number of foreclosures in the DC area. What are the down sides of such processes - besides the fact that it could take time? Would such process include pre-payments, hiring of lawyers etc? Could one, having initated a bank sale process, back out and purchase another house or are you tied down until process has ended?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM

264 posts, read 854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Ah, I stand corrected, then. They must use the same trucks for both jobs. Either that or my typical drives take me along multiple routes, as I seem to see the trucks more often than once a week...
I can see why you thought that- those trucks are always out! They basically go out every day of the week- for either trash or recyclables.. for recyclables they have one truck for glass and one for paper..(that come and pick up the same day)..

Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug20000 View Post
For instance, I was researching some areas in Vienna and found a school or two that was majority latino.
Percentage of Hispanic Students at Public Schools in Vienna:

Cunningham Park Elementary --- 19%
Louise Archer Elementary --- 5%
Marshall Road Elementary --- 6%
Vienna Elementary --- 7%
Westbriar Elementary --- 5%
Wolftrap Elementary --- 1%

Thoreau Middle School --- 6%
James Madison High School --- 5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia