U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-13-2008, 07:59 AM

5,185 posts, read 4,272,041 times
Olgamae - I've stayed at home with my kids for the past 8 years, so it has been a while since I've worked in an office. But back when I did work, I used to make some hiring decisions for my company.

The positions I hired for were all entry level and required some computer literacy/the ability to grasp technical information. On the job training would be provided.

When considering an applicant's apptitude for a position, candidates that had taken (and earned decent grades in) some relevant Strayer courses had a definate edge over those who had not done so. They tended to be easier to train.

By the same token, these courses could give your coworkers an edge (over you) at promotion time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,272,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Olgamae - I've stayed at home with my kids for the past 8 years, so it has been a while since I've worked in an office. But back when I did work, I used to make some hiring decisions for my company.

The positions I hired for were all entry level and required some computer literacy/the ability to grasp technical information. On the job training would be provided.

When considering an applicant's aptitude for a position, candidates that had taken (and earned decent grades in) some relevant Strayer courses had a definite edge over those who had not done so. They tended to be easier to train.

By the same token, these courses could give your coworkers an edge (over you) at promotion time.
Sorry for the typos. I was up too late last night - watching the Olympics.

Unread 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM

352 posts, read 1,029,657 times
Strayer University is accredited - Strayer.

Unread 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM

266 posts, read 441,381 times
Strayer is accredited by Middle States. But the Southern Association accredits schools in Virginia. If Strayer's corporate or educational HQ is in VA, it should be approved by the Southern Association. In addition, this "general" accreditation is not enough. Each program should be accredited by the specialty agency. For example, business programs are approved through the AACSB and science and computer programs are accredited by the ABET. If Strayer's programs are so accredited, then the programs are for all intents the academic equivlant of the non-profit schools and you will be able to transfer credits. If not, you are on your own.

Unread 08-22-2008, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug20000 View Post
I am involved in hiring decisions at my firm, and I wouldn't hire anyone with a degree from there. So I wouldn't go there if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
I don't honestly know about the accredation. My opinion is based on reviewing employees and candidates over a 20 year period and experiencing the different levels of education among those who I have come into contact with. Hope that makes sense.

Wow, no wonder why there is such a job crisis in the United States, the morons are the ones who are doing all the hiring. That being said, what most of you fail to realize is that it's what you put into your education that matters. You mean to tell me someone who was very knowledgeable in the field of whatever it is you are recruiting for would get negative marks from you simply because they went to a for profit school online? So it doesn't really matter to you if they know all there is to know about the business process you are hiring for, what matters most is what recognized campus they went to?
It takes hard work and discipline to complete an online university, you are responsible for the entire workload, and you have to sacrifice more then you would at a traditional campus. I don't know, I think you guys are just prejudiced as you haven't given any real reasons as to why you wouldn't hire anyone from Strayer or any other online school for that matter.
So lets say a mother of 3 walks in your hiring office, she mentions she went to Strayer because it was her only option, the classes at a traditional brick and mortar demanded her presence when her work and family schedule demanded otherwise. She worked hard, learned the material diligently, and took her education with respect. So you wouldn't hire her, even if she knew more about your operation then the most of the seasoned employees there, simply because she went to Strayer.

Unread 08-22-2008, 07:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,193,595 times
I think you have hit it right on the head Damaclese620. I've seen more educated idiots come out of Ivy League schools then I've seen come out of community colleges. Maybe it's just the field I work in, but it has a significant number of personnel that can't change a tire but graduated from a big name school.

Now, that doesn't mean that that most Ivy Leaguer's aren't either very intelligent OR very rich, but that's exactly why it is idiocy to eliminate candidates solely upon the prestige (or perceived lack of it) of their alma mater. As was said earlier, maybe they have a real job and can't attend a traditional college. Maybe they don't have a rich daddy that can bankroll their education. Maybe they've got kids for heaven sakes.

Look at people and their potential.

Unread 08-24-2008, 10:43 PM

148 posts, read 385,536 times
From what I see, accredation is very important for the glorious paper pushing careers in this area!

Unread 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM

656 posts, read 747,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaclese620 View Post
Wow, no wonder why there is such a job crisis in the United States, the morons are the ones who are doing all the hiring. That being said, what most of you fail to realize is that it's what you put into your education that matters. You mean to tell me someone who was very knowledgeable in the field of whatever it is you are recruiting for would get negative marks from you simply because they went to a for profit school online? So it doesn't really matter to you if they know all there is to know about the business process you are hiring for, what matters most is what recognized campus they went to?
It takes hard work and discipline to complete an online university, you are responsible for the entire workload, and you have to sacrifice more then you would at a traditional campus. I don't know, I think you guys are just prejudiced as you haven't given any real reasons as to why you wouldn't hire anyone from Strayer or any other online school for that matter.
So lets say a mother of 3 walks in your hiring office, she mentions she went to Strayer because it was her only option, the classes at a traditional brick and mortar demanded her presence when her work and family schedule demanded otherwise. She worked hard, learned the material diligently, and took her education with respect. So you wouldn't hire her, even if she knew more about your operation then the most of the seasoned employees there, simply because she went to Strayer.

I couldn't agree more. I am so sick of employers looking down their noses at people who have degrees from non-traditional schools. I earned my degree from an online school while I was in the Army. I did not have the time nor the physical ability to attend traditional classes in a classroom. Instead I spent just about every spare minute that I had reading textbooks, working on assignments, and writing papers. I worked a demanding, full time job during the day (sometimes 12-14 hours a day) and continued without a break on my coursework into the night up until the day that I graduated.

To hear some of these people talk though one would think that I simply mailed a check to a post office box somewhere and received a degree a few days later. Apparently, even though they obviously have never taken classes at one of these schools, they feel that they are more qualified to pass judgment on the quality of education offered than the regional accreditation boards throughout the country. That is their prerogative, but the problem is that they feel it is their duty to voice this slander as fact to others who aren't familiar with what nontraditional schools offer.

Frankly I take it as an insult and an affront to my integrity when one of these dimwits stands up and proclaims my education, and the years of hard work I put into earning my degree, as being nothing more than a worthless sham. No matter though, since my degree and background has gotten me an excellent, well paying job with terrific long term potential. Oh yeah, and today whenever I get a call from a company that had in the past refused to even talk to me because I didn't have a "real" degree, I tell them to kiss my fifth point of contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia