U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM

84 posts, read 308,755 times
Smile Driving from California to Virginia??

Has anyone driven from Cali to NOVA? I'm tying to persuade my employer to pay to fly me out to and ship my car to relocate, but they said they might only pay partial reimbursements for me driving out there.

Does anyone know how many days it would take and good, cheap lodging places along the way? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 PM

601 posts, read 917,312 times
We moved to VA from CA two years ago, and my husband and two young children (ages 4 and 6 at the time )drove out (we also had a 2 year old and a 6 week old that we figured would have a hard time with the drive, so I flew out with them). We also went back to visit this summer, so we drove from VA to CA and then back.

I'm not sure what part of CA you are coming from, we were from the San Diego area.

Two years ago, my husband was just wanting to get here quickly, so it took him about 4.5 days. He did make a brief stop at the Grand Canyon which took him a bit out of the way and a little extra time. His basic route took him from the I-8 to the I-10 to the I-40 to the I-81 to the I-66.

We shipped our other car and it was a horrible experience. They told my husband one price, but when I went to drop off the car, they charged me something different. It was just one day before our flight, and I was there with two very young children and felt I really had no alternative but to pay it. They told us it would take about a week when it really took over a month. When the vehicle finally did arrive, the driver told us there was a COD fee of $695.00! I had paid in full when I dropped off the car! We tried to call the company that had arranged the shipping, but it was 4 pm on a Sunday. It took an additional 2 days to straighten that out and when we finally recieved our vehicle, there was a large dent in the front hood that had not been there when I dropped it off. We spent about a year and half in small claims court trying to recoup the damage (they were always able to slip through by claiming they weren't served, the next time they showed up to the courthouse but stood out in the hall when called and claimed they didn't hear their name, then there was some techical legal thing where they had disolved their buisness--basically they were scammers that knew lots of loopholes). It was a nightmare and I will never ever ship another car again.

This time, driving out from VA to CA, we made an effort to stop at National Parks and other sites as we drove from VA to CA. We basically took the same route that my husband did on the way out--but we stopped at the Great Smokey Mountains, Blanchard Springs Caverns in the Ozarks, Santa Fe, Roswell, and White Sands New Mexico, and Saguaro National Park in AZ. It took us about 8 days.

Driving back, we took a different route. We basically took I-15, stopping in the Las Vegas area (Hoover Dam), Bryce Canyon and Cedar Breaks (Utah), and Salt Lake city. We then took the I-80 into Wyoming (visitng Fossil Butte National Monument) and then went North up to see Mt. Rushmore. From there we took I-90 across to get to Chicago where we stayed a couple days because I have family there. Then down I-65 to KY, I-64 through West VA to the I-81 to the I-66. This way also took us about 8 days.

It was a beautiful way to see the country. Good Luck in your move!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,265,614 times
We did it 3+ years ago and it took 3 1/2 days. We basically slept in a hotel once in New Mexico but drove straight without stopping (5 minutes breaks excluded) the rest of the way. And this was from the SF Bay Area. We took the southern route (down to LA ->Texas -> Oklahoma -> Tennessee) because it was the middle of the winter. If it had been summer, we would've done the northern route instead. DH's employer paid for the move but we didn't want our dog to fly again so instead we drove. Never again. :P

Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

822 posts, read 1,770,377 times
My parents drive from Utah to Virginia all the time because they love to drive. It takes them about 3.5 days, but they are doing a lot of sightseeing. You could easily find inexpensive places to stay - just pick a favorite chain, maybe join their travel club, join AAA, etc. Some of these 'out of the way' places are $30/night or less.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 AM

84 posts, read 308,755 times
Thanks for the responses everyone! Think it would be a good idea to join AAA for no other reason than just this drive? How much does it cost anyway?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:04 AM

10 posts, read 34,579 times
We just did the cross country drive from San Diego to DC this June. It took us eight days but that was limiting ourselves to approx. 325 miles per day. We have two kids so we didn't want to torture them too much with long days. We also shipped our second vehicle and had absolutely no problems. In fact, the transporter passed us on the highway and beat us by four days. We used the same company to get our car to CA two years ago.
We also have AAA. I think it is about $50 a year. You can order a trip tik which has all the maps and tour books you will need. You can request certain stops on the way and specific roads you want to travel. Everything is highlighted for you including construction.
Good luck with your move.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,968,614 times
I've done it a couple of times, once going to San Diego and coming back from San Jose. I drove in the winter on both occasions so I took the southern route. The AAA membership will get you maps and discounted hotel rates. From San Jose, I drove down to Needles near the Arizona border on the first day and took Interstate 40 all the way to Interstate 81 at the Virginia border.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 AM

595 posts, read 1,545,219 times
www.motel6.com; they give AARP members a discount. You may want to get the premium AAA membership (especially if you own a Ford or GM). The standard one only covers the first five miles.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 16,245 times
Default Is it alright if I get the shipping company that transported your cars?

My sone just moved back home in NoVa from San Diego......

Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboyz View Post
We just did the cross country drive from San Diego to DC this June. It took us eight days but that was limiting ourselves to approx. 325 miles per day. We have two kids so we didn't want to torture them too much with long days. We also shipped our second vehicle and had absolutely no problems. In fact, the transporter passed us on the highway and beat us by four days. We used the same company to get our car to CA two years ago.
We also have AAA. I think it is about $50 a year. You can order a trip tik which has all the maps and tour books you will need. You can request certain stops on the way and specific roads you want to travel. Everything is highlighted for you including construction.
Good luck with your move.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM

372 posts, read 718,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
Has anyone driven from Cali to NOVA? I'm tying to persuade my employer to pay to fly me out to and ship my car to relocate, but they said they might only pay partial reimbursements for me driving out there.
Sounds like a GREAT employer... You can tell they really want you. Maybe they'll pay you part* of your bonus and salary too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia