U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM

74 posts, read 184,783 times

Advertisements

What's the area like? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM

798 posts, read 2,482,728 times
It is very close to where I live and I work with a few folks who live in Hayfield Farms. They are all happy with their neighborhood. It is a good location and very close to Belvoir. Are you looking at a TH or single family?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM

There's a single family home there for rent that fits all our housing criteria and is within our budget. We're debating whether or not to take it without seeing it in real life. I just didn't want to discover there's a strip club across the street or something lol.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 AM

798 posts, read 2,482,728 times
I have not ventured in to the neighborhood itself but it is an older established area. There is no strip club across the street I would ask the owner what it backs up to. There is a school on the side with the single family homes and I am not sure if Hayfield goes all the way to Rt 1 or not. That is another question I would ask because there are some iffy areas along Route 1 (Richmond Highway) but I am faily positive it does not open on to 1. You can view a satellite view of the address from google map. That might help.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,960,659 times
No, it looks like it might back up to Route 1 but it doesn't; in fact there's a sign at one of the entrances saying "no access to Route 1" because that's apparently a common assumption. So you're safe there. Also no strip clubs! In fact I think this is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the area and I have often recommended it on this site. I don't live there but have friends there and walk there about once a week and always enjoy it. The houses are older but are very well-maintained so they look better than some of the newer neighborhoods in the area. There is a pool and a school so if you were right up against those you might be concerned about the noise, but some people with children would think that's convenient. As Irish Eyes suggested, you can check a satellite view to be sure. And of course I can't speak for the quality of the individual house but overall I would highly recommend the neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM

142 posts, read 518,715 times
I would definitely recommend Hayfield Farms - it's a neighborhood with well-kept homes and loads of tradition (my child has many friends that live there). A mix of people live there, from original owners to their grown-up children who have their own children, and the typical transient population of Northern Virginia. It's more than a mile away from Route 1 and is only accessible by entrances on Telegraph Road. It also has its own small but popular shopping center across Telegraph Road with a Giant, Hot Bagel, House of Dynasty, McD's, Dance, cleaners, and etc. Hayfield Elementary and Secondary (middle and high) are also located adjacent to the neighborhood and are accessible by walking.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM

50 posts, read 168,159 times
It's a pretty good neighborhood, but I wouldn't say that the older homes look better than the newer subdivisions. I think that is a stretch. We lived in Lake Devereaux and I think that the houses are nicer in there, but then compared to some of the other newer brick homes, these were also dated.

That being said...No strip clubs are there, which is always a plus...Grocery store, gym, Kingstowne..Close!

Hayfield Elementary I would recommend.....Not so much these days for the middle/upper schoool pyramid. Check Greatschools.net...They have the information as to why.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,781 times
I have to disagree here - the "newer" subdivisions, Lake Devereaux etc., were sloppily built and are showing their age much more than the 30 year old plus Hayfield Farms neighborhood, which still looks good. Now talking about Vantage and Stoneybrooke is a whole OTHER ball game. those neighborhoods look AWFUL...

Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM

50 posts, read 168,159 times
I guess that's why she's asking for our opinions. That is mine. You have yours. I know that I've lived in L. Dev and I've had friends (other military families) who lived in Hayfield Farms. I'm sorry, but there wasn't a comparison as to updated amenities and older homes. However, that being said right across the street from L. Dev, there were some gorgeous brick homes that I would have been happy to live in, likewise just north of Hayfield High, newer homes (brick) that were lovely, yards kept up etc.

That's not to say that HF isn't a good place to live, and I'm certainly not qualified to say since I didn't live there myself. It was just my opinion.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Well considering that previously we were in military housing out here in AZ and are currently in a very small 2 bedroom apt (with a 4 person family!), this house is the ritz to us regardless of how new or old it is lol.

I just wanted to be sure of the neighborhood area first and it sounds like a really nice place. It's a good price so I think we're going to try and go ahead and take it if no one else has. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia