Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM

13 posts, read 36,291 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in Fairfax County soon, and although I've visited the area many, many times throughout my life (I'm 23), I'm now getting paranoid that all I'm going to encounter everyday are a bunch of ***holes (mostly from reading this thread). From my experience, it just seems like people there are well, people. It's just that there are so MANY people there, and most are in a hurry to get 12323232 things done that they are constantly in a "get out of my way" kind of mood.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smichalska View Post
I'm starting a new job in Fairfax County soon, and although I've visited the area many, many times throughout my life (I'm 23), I'm now getting paranoid that all I'm going to encounter everyday are a bunch of ***holes (mostly from reading this thread). From my experience, it just seems like people there are well, people. It's just that there are so MANY people there, and most are in a hurry to get 12323232 things done that they are constantly in a "get out of my way" kind of mood.
You can always change your mind and take a job somewhere else. Seriously, if being in a metro area with so many people worries you to this extent it might be better to reconsider. And if you're going to get paranoid based on something as trivial as a single thread in an internet forum, then it would probably be best to stay in a place you know well.

You might also want to spend a little more time on the internet. That's the best way to learn how to not take threads like this so seriously. It will soon become evident that lots of threads get started by people who have their panties in a twist over something (usually something personal that's not related to the city at all) or maybe they're just bored and want to see if they provoke a little excitement. There's a reason this thread always seems to get revived when schools are on break.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 AM

248 posts, read 700,814 times
Quote:
Some people claim that people in NoVA are friendly, others claim they are not. But which group do you think are more likely to make more noise?

I personally have met a several friendly people who are around my age (25) in NoVA.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
Quote:
From my experience, it just seems like people there are well, people. It's just that there are so MANY people there, and most are in a hurry to get 12323232 things done that they are constantly in a "get out of my way" kind of mood.
This. While I haven't really found the people here to be particularly 'snobby' (often quite the opposite, in fact - unless their kids' schools are the topic), there are way too many people in Fairfax Co. generally. Not all of the infrastructural changes (particularly increased road capacity) necessary to accommodate this kind of population density in formerly sleepy suburbs have been implemented, and it shows. I fear I've *become* one of the people you describe in your post. I'm still one of the few people who actually says "excuse me," "sorry," or whatever on the Metro, from what I've observed (thanks, Northern Midwestern upbringing ), but I'm definitely more focused on "how can I navigate my way through this snarl of human bodies?", than just enjoying life, a much larger fraction of my typical day than I'd like, these days. *sigh*

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

109 posts, read 322,062 times
Quote:
I'm now getting paranoid that all I'm going to encounter everyday are a bunch of ***holes (mostly from reading this thread).

I have my opinions on NoVa and most echo the title of this thread. However, to say folks there were ***holes would be going a bit far! Keep one thing in mind, wherever you have an abundance of money (people doing well) you also get the attitudes and entitlement that goes along with it.

Last edited by south_east2west; 04-18-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
I completely agree with the statement above me. I don't think is it fair to judge the people of NOVA as being ***holes. I have encountered some fantastic people and have made some life-long friends.

To encounter a jerk to two is common no matter where you go. However you are more susceptible to that behavior in the more affluent areas.

That is just my 2 cents based on my personal expierences.

Don't let the thread scare you. Everyone has their own opinions.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
I am 24 and love Nova.. you will see lots of Nova haters, I am not one them! I have met some wonderful friends here and intend on living here for a long time.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Most Northern Virginians are northern transplants. Trust me, native Virginians don't like them (collectively) either.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:54 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
As a northern transplant, I take offense to that. I think it's a pretty lousy thing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Most Northern Virginians are northern transplants. Trust me, native Virginians don't like them (collectively) either.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
True. As a native Virginian (Hampton Roads) I dislike most Northern Virginians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia