Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times

Advertisements

An interesting thing happened to me here one recent evening. I was out mowing the front lawn when, without any warning, my neighbor across the street appeared next to me (I could not hear anything because of the mower) and gave me a HUG. We have spoken twice during the four years we've lived in this house. This is only the second time this person has crossed the street. It shocked and startled me at first (mostly that someone came up close enough to hug me and I had no idea they were there). Maybe it was due to my efforts with the lawn? Was it the expensive designer perfume I tried on at the store earlier that day that drew this person over? At least I smelled good (the perfume did mix well with the mower fumes and cut grass smell). I realized the person did not mean to scare me, but it was just a really strange time to say hello!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
An interesting thing happened to me here one recent evening. I was out mowing the front lawn when, without any warning, my neighbor across the street appeared next to me (I could not hear anything because of the mower) and gave me a HUG. We have spoken twice during the four years we've lived in this house. This is only the second time this person has crossed the street. It shocked and startled me at first (mostly that someone came up close enough to hug me and I had no idea they were there). Maybe it was due to my efforts with the lawn? Was it the expensive designer perfume I tried on at the store earlier that day that drew this person over? At least I smelled good (the perfume did mix well with the mower fumes and cut grass smell). I realized the person did not mean to scare me, but it was just a really strange time to say hello!
That's funny in a twisted sort of way....as if a new season of "Twin Peaks" was being shot in West Springfield, rather than the Pacific NW.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 AM

30 posts, read 49,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've seen this happen on a few forums. Closure? No, I think it's something else. Closure is achieved in a post or two but some people continue to post day in and day out. That's not closure.
I agree that it is not for closure. Have you ever run into someone that you haven't seen in a long time and hear them say, "I was just thinking about you!" Those friends are still re-living experiences that they had with you over time. I don't believe that you ever leave a place. In the Spring, I think of the house that I grew up in almost every day. It's a great aspect of our times that people can re-connect with NOVA so easily. Good or bad, their time here had an impression on their lives that will stay with them forever.

People who move from NOVA and post are very valuable. They are giving us information about other places coming from our experience. If it happens to be negative, that's fine. Life is good and bad.

It's true that the public realm in NOVA is not very friendly, but people also don't try to start fights with you, which be the case in other areas. Competition for a parking spot or a place in line only ends with someone quietly enduring, not a fist fight or argument.

Also, the unpleasantness is offset by the many, many amenities, groups, places of worship, schools, entertainment venues, and lifestlyes. To find happiness in NOVA, you need to connect with a smaller group that reflects your interests. This still may not be easy, but NOVA probably offers more diversity of interests than most other areas.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post

I think I would have been more than alittle weirded out by this, that is just strange.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM

I still maintain that unfriendly people are everywhere, maybe since I can be a bit antisocial and am very much comfortable with just my family, it doesn't really bother me. If people do not want to be around me it is their loss. LOL

Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM

12 posts, read 17,828 times
Hmmm, I'm moving to DC area in Sept w/family, and I have to say several other people that's lived there have used the term "Snobby" to describe the NoVA and DC area, and I dismissed them thinking it was only their perception. Now as I'm reading other people's post I'm starting to believe it? I'm originally from SF but currently live in Hawaii (military), and I have to say HI it's one of the friendliest and safest places I've been to. It will be a big contrast. I consider my husband and I to be super friendly, we say hi to everyone when we walk around our neighborhood, and our neighborhood is predominately military or transition gov workers so I don't think that's it.

Maybe if you go to a Church or Christian group, people will be more friendly and let their guard down, that's what we plan on doing right when we get there, find a Church that's right for us. Hope this will help.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdorm View Post
Hmmm, I'm moving to DC area in Sept w/family, and I have to say several other people that's lived there have used the term "Snobby" to describe the NoVA and DC area, and I dismissed them thinking it was only their perception. Now as I'm reading other people's post I'm starting to believe it? I'm originally from SF but currently live in Hawaii (military), and I have to say HI it's one of the friendliest and safest places I've been to. It will be a big contrast. I consider my husband and I to be super friendly, we say hi to everyone when we walk around our neighborhood, and our neighborhood is predominately military or transition gov workers so I don't think that's it.

Maybe if you go to a Church or Christian group, people will be more friendly and let their guard down, that's what we plan on doing right when we get there, find a Church that's right for us. Hope this will help.
From my experience in the area the term "snobbish" seems overused. I think it is more indifference than anything, most people work really long hours and their downtime is precious to them. I know for us that is true, we moved into our neighborhood of probably 12 houses, last summer. I speak to 3 of the neighbors every once in awhile. My husband works long hours and commutes at least 2 hours a day, so after work and weekedends are family time, so I guess we without meaning to, contribute to the "unfriendliness" of the area.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 PM

214 posts, read 499,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VATechMURP View Post
I agree that it is not for closure. Have you ever run into someone that you haven't seen in a long time and hear them say, "I was just thinking about you!" Those friends are still re-living experiences that they had with you over time. I don't believe that you ever leave a place. In the Spring, I think of the house that I grew up in almost every day. It's a great aspect of our times that people can re-connect with NOVA so easily. Good or bad, their time here had an impression on their lives that will stay with them forever.

People who move from NOVA and post are very valuable. They are giving us information about other places coming from our experience. If it happens to be negative, that's fine. Life is good and bad.

It's true that the public realm in NOVA is not very friendly, but people also don't try to start fights with you, which be the case in other areas. Competition for a parking spot or a place in line only ends with someone quietly enduring, not a fist fight or argument.

Also, the unpleasantness is offset by the many, many amenities, groups, places of worship, schools, entertainment venues, and lifestlyes. To find happiness in NOVA, you need to connect with a smaller group that reflects your interests. This still may not be easy, but NOVA probably offers more diversity of interests than most other areas.
Actually I have witnessed arguments over parking spaces before. Once was at the Kingstowne Walmart and I did not stick around long enough to see what happened. But this is the exception to the norm.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
I have a bit of a different perspective.
We moved here over 4 years ago for a job so we didn't choose to be here. I've lived in 6 states, all over. I have kids. We are not white collar, we don't make 6 figures and are several thousand over the County poverty line. (as we were in other places for other years). My DH has a college degree. We don't expect to buy a place or even stay here as keeping jobs are expensive for employers, etc.
I want to be back in San Diego-that won't happen. Jobs are really gone there. I wouldn't mind OKC or parts of TX (Dallas/Austin/San Antonio). I lived in Kansas for a while and loved it. Chicago is like home to me. I am charmed by old centrally planned cities with the old 19th century Italian/Irish/Greek immigrant influence such as Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc. I love Richmond-so historical!

I think living in DC Metro is the best place to live on the East Coast. Jobs are stable, public schools are like mini colleges ( too much pressure for little ones in a lot of schools IMHO). It feels safe, even in the worst FFX 'hood. Now that I've been here for so long the 'rough hoods' seem rough to me because I am spoiled !
People are nicest here than the rest of places in the northeast.
Weather is fabulous-not too hot/humid, not too cold snowy.
I love Wegmans!

I think I am the only person with this opinion:
I like DC. I don't love it, don't hate it. Its ok.

There are days when I am trapped by a Presidential limo procession that I hate DC (Stay outta Nova Obama! We have enough traffic probs!)
There are days when I love the Mall, the HMart, other stuff.
But on the whole, I only like it.
(shoulders shrug as I don't have a hard opinion of Nova)

Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
I said this once, I'll say this again. All the things people complain about NoVA are at least 10x worse in the District itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia