Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times

Advertisements

The good news is, yes, you can find a 2br apartment in the $1100-$1200 range. However, you are going to have to live in Prince William (I don't know about Loudon) to do so. If your husband works in Southern Fairfax County, that could work out pretty well commute wise. If he'll work in Northern Fairfax County, you will need to determine what transportation options are available to that destination (see the Sticky'ed first or second posts in this forum for a listing of options). Unfortunately, it would probably be a minimum of 1hr each way.

There are massive apartment guides that will list a lot of options if you can visit a couple of months before you move. One word of warning though. Your options will pretty much be large "garden-style" apartment communities (3-4 floors high, no elevator) or townhome neighborhoods. There aren't too many small homes, duplexes, basements, etc. available to rent in the area.

My final tip: When you know where your husband will work, and therefore what areas of NoVA are within your acceptable commute range, try to hook up with an experienced real estate agent who will show rentals. We had a terrific one who spent two days showing us places, getting to know our needs and wants (three months before we were going to move from Central Illinois). Then we kept in touch with her via email and phone, and we ended up renting our place sight unseen based on her recommendations. We're thrilled with the results.

Good luck with the move. There certainly is shell shock on prices when you first start looking, but with patience, persistance, and flexibility, you can find a good home within your budget here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:37 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
I just recently moved from Springfield, VA where I lived with my parents to San Antonio. Money sure goes farther here, that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia