Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM

26 posts, read 98,104 times

Advertisements

Also this is hilarious: "Nascar, NFL, clubs, college sports, churches you have many options to have more fun in your life." Umm, doesn't pretty much every city worth its salt have these things, plus much much more? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:36 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
My friend moved to Vegas and loves it. He was from D.C. I too hate Vegas. It is soooo phony and boring.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 PM

63 posts, read 171,799 times
I would give it some more time in Charlotte, but if you are there two years and are both still unhappy, move back and give yourself a big pat on the back for trying something new. You then won't ever have to wonder how it is to live somewhere other than NOVA because you would already have done that. Children of friends of ours moved to Charlotte from NOVA. I assumed they were real happy there because I had heard many good things about Charlotte. Well,a marriage and a baby later, they are back here where they grew up and are happy as can be. Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
GMU

56 posts, read 552,941 times
Kids change EVERYTHING. We grew up in NoVA, took DC area for granted, comfort zone, etc. Moved to south Florida, got homesick after 6 months also. 2 years later, had a few small children, got REALLY homesick. Moved back to NoVA. Life is good.

Grandparents = Free babysitters

Old 09-13-2008, 02:45 AM

307 posts, read 715,584 times
Hi guys, thanks for all the answers. Don't worry I am going to give Charlotte more time and not rush into anything. We do not have kids but if we did I know being near my family would also make that a lot easier. I just miss Nova so much right now but I am planning to give it a shot down here so if I do move back I really appreciate it this time.

I know I can make new friends down here but it takes time and it wasn't until I moved that I realized how tightly woven into my life they were, I am driving distance but on a recent visit back to nova I realized how much I miss just having people to do things with and I miss my family terribly.

I am not even sure how my bf feels about this but it seems he has similar feelings even though his family is here, all his friends are in nova.

As far as "Nascar, NFL, clubs, college sports, churches" Well I have done Nascar, NFL, joined a club that is going well, and I don't go to church.

I have done a ton of things, boating, mountains, site seeing, etc and while I do like it here a lot it does not have the things I am missing. I also realized I actually miss the pace of life up there too. I am sure many don't but I guess some of us do.

Anyway, I am going to give it a shot and see what happens down here.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM

49 posts, read 159,810 times
Default I moved to Charlotte too . . .

I moved to Charlotte from the DC area in 2006, and I still don't really like it here. (I did like it initially b/c I moved down here to buy a SFH, now that I'm in my home, I realized that it doesn't mean that much to me.) Lower cost of living doesn't always mean that things will be better overall. Charlotte is cheaper in terms of real estate, but is equally as expensive or more expensive in other areas. Example: Groceries are about the same, however the sales tax is much higher here, gas is higher here in Charlotte, healthcare seems inadequate compared to every insurance company I was with in DC/MD, and the list goes on and on.
I definitely hope things get better b/c it's very difficult to live somewhere that you don't like.
I have even made new friends, who I really like and enjoy spending time with, but somehow it's just not the same. My husband, daughter and I will hopefully be moving back to the DC area in the summer of 2010!!! I can't wait to get back there!!!!!
Best of luck to you!!

I'm flying to MD next month to visit, and I can't get there fast enough!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp0502 View Post
I moved to Charlotte from the DC area in 2006, and I still don't really like it here. (I did like it initially b/c I moved down here to buy a SFH, now that I'm in my home, I realized that it doesn't mean that much to me.) Lower cost of living doesn't always mean that things will be better overall. Charlotte is cheaper in terms of real estate, but is equally as expensive or more expensive in other areas. Example: Groceries are about the same, however the sales tax is much higher here, gas is higher here in Charlotte, healthcare seems inadequate compared to every insurance company I was with in DC/MD, and the list goes on and on.
I definitely hope things get better b/c it's very difficult to live somewhere that you don't like.
I have even made new friends, who I really like and enjoy spending time with, but somehow it's just not the same. My husband, daughter and I will hopefully be moving back to the DC area in the summer of 2010!!! I can't wait to get back there!!!!!
Best of luck to you!!

I'm flying to MD next month to visit, and I can't get there fast enough!!!
NEWSFLASH: 66 is backed up for 12 miles and the beltway is backed up on both loops! 270 is backed up from Democracy to Frederick. 95 is backed up from 495 to Fredricksburg.

Do you still want to come back now????

Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM

395 posts, read 523,736 times
To me Charlotte is no different than NOVA: Plastic, boring, sprawl, no personality. So I dont see how you could be homesick, lol.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
NEWSFLASH: 66 is backed up for 12 miles and the beltway is backed up on both loops! 270 is backed up from Democracy to Frederick. 95 is backed up from 495 to Fredricksburg.

Do you still want to come back now????
Good Reality Check! And I do not even drive!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 PM

I do miss Trader Joes. I wish they had them here in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia