Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 AM

303 posts, read 915,010 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Saganista & Melbourne Family! I'm off to Mapquest and Google the schools you mentioned. My daughter just had to change schools this fall for unrelated reasons (her old school closed), so I am daunted by having to go through the whole process again, and in an unfamiliar area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
Hello,

As a Green Hedges graduate, I can't say enough good things about it. My two sisters and I went through GHS from Montessori through the 8th grade. I'm in my 30s now and still keep in touch with some of the wonderful teachers I had over the years and the friends who were my classmates. Looking back, I'm continually impressed by the quality of the education I received and the diversity of people in my classrooms.

Best wishes in finding the best possible place for your children!!

T.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 AM

22 posts, read 139,660 times
Do NOT look at Westminster School. We were so disappointed with our kids' experience at the school and we are leaving after two years. The rigid and oppressive discipline structure includes detentions, demerits and strikes, starting at age 7. Second graders get detentions (which they have to serve after school) for not having a sharpened pencil, leaving one item blank in their homework or forgetting book. The whole system is stressful and anxiety producing. The website and the admissions office don't talk about this - you have to ask for the Student/Parent Handbook and read it BEFORE signing your child up for the school.

You should also take a look at the previous year's Yearbook and note the dwindling class sizes. It says a lot when many of the middle and upper grades are barely half-full. There will always be spaces available at Westminster while the current administration is in place.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,527 times
Exclamation No to Westminster

My neighbor's daughter goes to Flint Hill (4 years now?) and she loves it. We are currently looking at Flint Hill for our son, because we can no longer stand having him at Westminster. The school is so rigid - the kids can't even speak or put their hands in their pockets when they walk down the halls. Otherwise, they'll be issued strikes...which leads to demerits...which leads to demerit hall and spending Saturdays cleaning the school grounds. I didn't have any clue what this school was about before enrolling. It's like a time warp to the worst of the 1950's classrooms - soooo traditional. No technology integration, no computer lab, no hands on science in the lower grades, and NO FUN!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM

230 posts, read 1,033,140 times
OMG after reading the last 2 posts I'm sooooooo glad we didn't go ahead with looking at Westminster for our daughter!!! She ended up going to Flint Hill School and she loves it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia