U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Virginia with employment in Herndon, real estate options, school districts, reasonable commute neighborhoods, areas for stay at home mom of infant, Potomac Falls, Sterling area

Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 7,882 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to Virginia. My husband would be working in Herndon. Where would be a good place to start looking at real estate. A great school district is an important consideration, a reasonable commute is important as well as a nice area where real estate prices are not entirely through the roof as we are justing starting out have a new baby with whom
I stay home. Any suggestions for just general areas to start looking into would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:15 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
Herndon is in Fairfax County, which has a great school system, though some high school "pyramids" located in the more affluent areas have generally higher test scores than others.
Depending upon where you live now, you might find that most of northern Virginia has real estate prices that are "through the roof."
How much house you can afford will depend largely upon how long a commute your husband is willing to make. You could live in Herndon, Reston, Oakton, or Vienna, which would be well under 30 minutes commute, but you can expect to pay AT LEAST $500K for a single-family house in those communities. Townhouses will be cheaper, but the newer ones can start at about $600K.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:55 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
As claremarie stated, housing in general is ridiculous in the area, although that is also a subjective issue depending on where it is you're moving from. However, generally in the area, your average 3 bed/2 bath townhouse (not the new luxury townhomes) can be found for 350-450K in the areas within a 10 mile radius of Herndon. I wouldn't rule out living in a townhouse as they are generally perfectly nice and roomy, or at least roomy enough for a small family. There's a handful of single-family homes under 450K but generally they start in the upper 400s, and newer models oftentimes start at around 600K. It's cheaper the further west you go. Since traffic is hideous in the region, I tend to recommend people not to live more than 10 miles from their workplace if they can help it, but tolerance for commuting is another issue that varies from person to person and the majority of folks in the area commute further than 10 miles a day. The closest localities to Herndon would be Chantilly, Reston and Sterling, with Ashburn, Centreville being within 10 miles as well (just barely). All of these areas have good schools with the best probably being in Chantilly. The entire Fairfax and Loudoun county school districts are good however.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM

13 posts, read 62,495 times
If you are watching your budget, I would suggest the Sterling, Ashburn, Leesburg area, or Chantilly and Centreville for housing. If you have to buy now...look on Craigslist for great deals on real estate.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM

76 posts, read 312,681 times
Default Look at Potomac Falls

Hello - my suggestion is to check Potomac Falls. It is the 20165 zip in the Sterling area. I live in the Cascades community of Potomac Falls and LOVE it. My husband works in Reston and it takes him 15 min to get to work via Fairfax County Parkway. Living in this community you can get to Tysons, Herndon, or Reston without getting on a highway. A BIG plus.

I have lived all over Northern Virginia over the past 15 years, and have finally found an awesome community and a place to call home. I love the people here. It is a great community for families (seems to be LOTS of young families) and the schools are among the best in the nation. I stay home with a one year old, and have joined the local mom's club and my days are filled with new friends and activities, all within a mile or two away at the most. There are walking trails, community pools, and homes for every budget. Most of the homes in Cascades were built between 1993-1999 so they are still realtively new and a pretty good deal given the close in location.

The beauty of this community is that everything is so close. All the years of fighting traffic are over. We are 15 min from Dulles airport (a big plus for my husband as he travels frequently), we have Dulles Town Center (major mall) about 2 miles away, and restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, most major chains, Sweetwater Tavern, sushi, italian, whatever you prefer within 2-3 miles. Lots of community centers, health clubs, parks, it is heaven for a stay at home mom. I wouldn't dream of living anyplace else.

If you would like more info pleast let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia