Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 PM

200 posts, read 560,648 times

Advertisements

Well, for me it's the opposite of the OP. I am currently living in Falls Church and have been wanting to move to Seattle.

It's not that NOVA is a bad area to live; As many people here have mentioned, we have excellent school systems, a lot of great parks -- Burke lake and Great Falls are among my favorite, cute places for a stroll like Georgetown and Old town Alexandria, top-notched museums, hip neighborhood like Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle. An hour drive will get you to Shenandoah National park, world-class rafting and a lot of outdoor opportunities in West Virgnia, a few hour drive to the beaches in MD, DE, not to far from Philly and NYC and etc.

The bad things are of course the traffic and the cost of living. I find people here to be quite friendly though but it's also kinda transient environment -- a lot of people come and go.

In any case, I want to move to Seattle because I think it suit me more; I love winter sports and mountains of the west. Drizzle and cloudy days won't bother me too much coz I will be spending a lot of time on the slope in winter. Summer in Seattle is just gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:52 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
Well, for me it's the opposite of the OP. I am currently living in Falls Church and have been wanting to move to Seattle.

It's not that NOVA is a bad area to live; As many people here have mentioned, we have excellent school systems, a lot of great parks -- Burke lake and Great Falls are among my favorite, cute places for a stroll like Georgetown and Old town Alexandria, top-notched museums, hip neighborhood like Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle. An hour drive will get you to Shenandoah National park, world-class rafting and a lot of outdoor opportunities in West Virgnia, a few hour drive to the beaches in MD, DE, not to far from Philly and NYC and etc.

The bad things are of course the traffic and the cost of living. I find people here to be quite friendly though but it's also kinda transient environment -- a lot of people come and go.

In any case, I want to move to Seattle because I think it suit me more; I love winter sports and mountains of the west. Drizzle and cloudy days won't bother me too much coz I will be spending a lot of time on the slope in winter. Summer in Seattle is just gorgeous.
If that is what you like, then you will love Seattle. You might like Denver as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Happiness is inside - I'm a happy, positive person as a rule. Once you get to that point then you can fine tune when the time is right to things like: closer to water or mountains, large home/small home, single/multi level home, large acreage/small lot, etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Happiness is inside - I'm a happy, positive person as a rule. Once you get to that point then you can fine tune when the time is right to things like: closer to water or mountains, large home/small home, single/multi level home, large acreage/small lot, etc.
that does not make any sense.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
It makes perfect sense: you must be happy w/yourself before you are happy with anything else

Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Default I'm happier now, but I still see miserable people.

Now that we have our escape plan in place, I'm enjoying noVA much more.

But I still see plenty of stressed-out, unhappy people. And there's the crime issue.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
Now that we have our escape plan in place, I'm enjoying noVA much more.

But I still see plenty of stressed-out, unhappy people. And there's the crime issue.
What crime issue? NoVa is one of the safest areas in the country.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 PM

282 posts, read 873,227 times
"Nothern Virginia" and "crime issue"? One of the positive things about the area is the low crime rate.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Default Let's bury our heads in the sand, and the crime will disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
What crime issue? NoVa is one of the safest areas in the country.
Oh, that's right. Ignoring any crime (like the recent carjacking at Springfield Mall, bank robberies, etc.) must mean that they don't happen here!

There's less crime here than places like Miami, but this area has more crime than other areas I've lived in. And much of it goes unreported in the news.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM

286 posts, read 804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
Oh, that's right. Ignoring any crime (like the recent carjacking at Springfield Mall, bank robberies, etc.) must mean that they don't happen here!

There's less crime here than places like Miami, but this area has more crime than other areas I've lived in. And much of it goes unreported in the news.
That is true. We are also the proud owners of the largest segment of MS 13 gang members on the East Coast. Fairfax County is also turning into a sanctuary city/county as well, so if you don't mind your tax money going to programs specifically tailored to illegals then you wont mind this area.

I had some friends from Seattle come and visit me here and they didnt like it too much, but thats not to say you won't like it. Everyone is different.

I am one of those people that hate NoVA with a passion, however there are some things I do like about the area, mainly the jobs, schools, the diversity and the history of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia