U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 AM

40 posts, read 133,927 times

Advertisements

I don't see why people hate the area so much, I love it and can't wait to leave Seattle. DC is so exciting and is close to other major cities (ie Phila, NYC) My main impressions are:

- People are generally friendly
- The countryside is gorgeous
- Washington has so much to explore compared to other US Cities
- METRO is a huge plus
- Much more diverse that the Pacific NW, lots of foreigners
- NoVA has much more character than most major US cities, especially the older neighborhoods.

Can someone enlighten me why its so bad?

You'll find traffic and jerks everywhere, if thats the only issues sign me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,644,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2NOVA View Post

Can someone enlighten me why its so bad?

!
It's not so bad too a lot of people. It is pretty much covered in this thread:
Is anyone happy living in NOVA?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 AM

446 posts, read 1,486,383 times
Welcome to our area! For the most part, I find it an awesome place to call home.

- People are generally friendly--For the most part, it depends on where you are. Lots has to do with socio-economic class. If you are around others that are worrying about their next meal, they may not be friendly to a middle-class person such as yourself. But that is everywhere. There are quite a few people here who think the world revolves around them because of their glorified job, but I just find them amusing...lol.
- The countryside is gorgeous--That's for sure. You can get in your car and drive to the Blue Ridge or to the Eastern Shore. I love taking myself "outside the Beltway" on Sundays to go explore. This weekend for me it was Westmoreland SP on VA's Northern Neck and last weekend it was Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- Washington has so much to explore compared to other US Cities Yes, for sure. Many people don't take advantage of this!!!
- METRO is a huge plusWell, if you live close by to it. If you live in Fairfax Station or Bowie, Md., then you are kind of out of luck. I would say the car is king here for areas outside of the District, Arlington and some areas of close-in MD. We are much more LA car-dependent than NYC/London transit-dependent.
- Much more diverse that the Pacific NW, lots of foreignersThis has good and bad elements to it. Your social group will likely include people of all races, faiths, backgrounds, etc. That is great. I have learned so much more about the world through social interactions with others from other nations. That being said, I have also witnessed a lot of separate-ness and "we only hang with our own" etc. That is for the educated, legal population. Illegal immigration is a HUGE issue here. Again, for many of us it has nothing to do with racism, but rather just frustration with people who disrespect US law.
- NoVA has much more character than most major US cities, especially the older neighborhoods. This is true in the older neighborhoods of Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, DC, etc. Suburbs here are suburbs and they look exactly like Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta or Kansas City and the only major difference is they cost more!!!

Hope this was helpful. People who are negative about where they live likely have other issues going on in their life--that's my belief at least. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
Welcome to our area! For the most part, I find it an awesome place to call home.

- People are generally friendly--For the most part, it depends on where you are. Lots has to do with socio-economic class. If you are around others that are worrying about their next meal, they may not be friendly to a middle-class person such as yourself. But that is everywhere. There are quite a few people here who think the world revolves around them because of their glorified job, but I just find them amusing...lol.
- The countryside is gorgeous--That's for sure. You can get in your car and drive to the Blue Ridge or to the Eastern Shore. I love taking myself "outside the Beltway" on Sundays to go explore. This weekend for me it was Westmoreland SP on VA's Northern Neck and last weekend it was Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- Washington has so much to explore compared to other US Cities Yes, for sure. Many people don't take advantage of this!!!
- METRO is a huge plusWell, if you live close by to it. If you live in Fairfax Station or Bowie, Md., then you are kind of out of luck. I would say the car is king here for areas outside of the District, Arlington and some areas of close-in MD. We are much more LA car-dependent than NYC/London transit-dependent.
- Much more diverse that the Pacific NW, lots of foreignersThis has good and bad elements to it. Your social group will likely include people of all races, faiths, backgrounds, etc. That is great. I have learned so much more about the world through social interactions with others from other nations. That being said, I have also witnessed a lot of separate-ness and "we only hang with our own" etc. That is for the educated, legal population. Illegal immigration is a HUGE issue here. Again, for many of us it has nothing to do with racism, but rather just frustration with people who disrespect US law.
- NoVA has much more character than most major US cities, especially the older neighborhoods. This is true in the older neighborhoods of Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, DC, etc. Suburbs here are suburbs and they look exactly like Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta or Kansas City and the only major difference is they cost more!!!

Hope this was helpful. People who are negative about where they live likely have other issues going on in their life--that's my belief at least. Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your insight on it. You've more or less confirmed what I orginally thought about NOVA, a great place with big city issues like anywhere else.

One thing I can't understand is how someone could live in NoVa and not take advantage of what the nation's capital has to offer!

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM

353 posts, read 788,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2NOVA View Post
- Washington has so much to explore compared to other US Cities
Like what? How many times can you go to the museums? I'm not being facetious.

I don't hate it here but I don't love it either.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,302,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post

Couldn't even get through your post. Next time, black font will be just fine, thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Like what? How many times can you go to the museums? I'm not being facetious.

I don't hate it here but I don't love it either.
When you consider that travel guides like Fodor have a 500 page book on Washington (roughly the same amount as ALL of Scandanavia) - surely you jest.

It's not just the museums and history, which for me are a big deal and may not be to you, there is a wide array of ethnic eateries, parks and everything else you'll find in any other major city in the US.

I personally think NYC is over-rated and DC under-rated, just my opinion anyway.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM

395 posts, read 397,986 times
Because people in Virginia feel NOVA is now Northern and no longer part of Virginia. The 'Real Virginia" I.E. Richmond, Farmville, Petersburg- doesnt want to associate with the pushyness of that area. All the natives have left.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Because people in Virginia feel NOVA is now Northern and no longer part of Virginia. The 'Real Virginia" I.E. Richmond, Farmville, Petersburg- doesnt want to associate with the pushyness of that area. All the natives have left.

I assume that's more to do with the presence of the Federal Government and job turn-over, than people leaving out of disgust.

I agree its Northern now, though I detected many a Southern drawl on my last visit.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM

663 posts, read 5,266,309 times
I don't hate NoVa--I really like it here. DC is my favorite city I've lived in, and I've lived all over. I don't think people here are any more unfriendly than people anywhere else. I've lived in tiny towns, small cities and huge cities, and people here are no more or less friendly than in any of those other places. I do find it a bit odd that my neighbors are so unfriendly--they make an effort not to wave or say hello. But it was the same way where I grew up, too.

The only thing I don't like about the DC are is that I feel the cuisine isn't quite as good as some other places I've lived. Hubby and I have only found one restaurant in all of DC that we really like in the two years we've been here. We just don't think the food is good here overall. For instance, we love tapas, but haven't liked any of the tapas places we've tried.

I would love to stay here in NoVa if the housing prices weren't so steep. We're thinking about moving to the midwest, haven't made a decision yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia