U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Richmond
395 posts, read 397,355 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

I ask this not out of spite, but just observation. I grew up in Northern Virginia, but my family has deep roots in Virginia- mostly Richmond.

But a lot of our neighbors there (this was some 20 years ago) would refuse to say they were from "Virginia" It was always "Oh Im not from Virginia, Im from NOVA" or "DC Area". They didnt seem to want anything to do with Virginia, let alone the South, and if someone talked about something that seemed too Virginian, they would get upset and say "but this is Northern Virginia". How quickly they forget Robert E. Lee and his army, lol

But I was just wondering, why do people from NOVA have such a problem with living in Virginia, and being a part of Virginia? They seem to want nothing to do with the rest of us, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
4,685 posts, read 5,513,928 times
Reputation: 4966
Interesting. Thinking back, I'd have to say that I describe myself as living in Virginia when I'm nowhere near the area ... for example, if I'm in New England, or the Midwest, etc. But if I'm in Virginia, or DC, or Maryland, I describe myself as living in Northern Virginia ... perhaps because people around here understand the difference? By difference, I mean the suburban sprawl, the really bad traffic, the economy, and frankly, the political differences.

But I've never said, nor do I remember ever hearing "Oh, I'm not from Virginia, I'm from Northern Virginia." A statement like that doesn't make much sense, does it?

Many states have considerable differences in different parts - eastern Massachusetts, with the Boston metro area & suburbs is very different from western Mass., northern and southern California are quite different, and so on. I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that those states split into two. Why should Virginia?

Personally, I'd rather our 51st state be the District of Columbia, so those guys could finally get voting representation in the Senate and House of Representatives to go along with the federal taxes they pay, the time served in our military, etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Richmond
395 posts, read 397,355 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Interesting. Thinking back, I'd have to say that I describe myself as living in Virginia when I'm nowhere near the area ... for example, if I'm in New England, or the Midwest, etc. But if I'm in Virginia, or DC, or Maryland, I describe myself as living in Northern Virginia ... perhaps because people around here understand the difference? By difference, I mean the suburban sprawl, the really bad traffic, the economy, and frankly, the political differences.

But I've never said, nor do I remember ever hearing "Oh, I'm not from Virginia, I'm from Northern Virginia." A statement like that doesn't make much sense, does it?

Many states have considerable differences in different parts - eastern Massachusetts, with the Boston metro area & suburbs is very different from western Mass., northern and southern California are quite different, and so on. I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting that those states split into two. Why should Virginia?

Personally, I'd rather our 51st state be the District of Columbia, so those guys could finally get voting representation in the Senate and House of Representatives to go along with the federal taxes they pay, the time served in our military, etc., etc.
Thats true. It just seems the rift between NOVA and the rest of the state is a strong culture and identity clash. Most people living in NOVA would not really call themselves a "Virginian" for example. Its just what I have experienced by people that live there. And I grew up in the mist of it. Sometimes I felt like a stranger in my own land, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,763,574 times
Reputation: 18989
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Most people living in NOVA would not really call themselves a "Virginian" for example.
LOL LOL LOL are you serious?????? I've done a lot of travelling and met plenty of Virginians away from home--and I've never ever met someone who said "Nice to meet you, I'm a Northern Virginian."

I mean, think about it. Try this phrase out for yourself: "Hi, I'm a Northern Virginian." That's quite a mouthful. It doesn't flow trippingly off the tongue. We Virginians are proud of the way we speak. But anyway, thanks for the laugh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Richmond
395 posts, read 397,355 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL LOL LOL are you serious?????? I've done a lot of travelling and met plenty of Virginians away from home--and I've never ever met someone who said "Nice to meet you, I'm a Northern Virginian."

I mean, think about it. Try this phrase out for yourself: "Hi, I'm a Northern Virginian." That's quite a mouthful. It doesn't flow trippingly off the tongue. We Virginians are proud of the way we speak. But anyway, thanks for the laugh....
Well, I have to disagree there. Because see, I grew up in NOVA, and most people I knew were not happy about being "Virginians". They were from some place else usually, and if someone asked where they were from they would say they were from "DC"-never mind that it was 50 miles away and in another state , lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,763,574 times
Reputation: 18989
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Well, I have to disagree there. Because see, I grew up in NOVA, and most people I knew were not happy about being "Virginians". They were from some place else usually, and if someone asked where they were from they would say they were from "DC"-never mind that it was 50 miles away and in another state , lol
Well, I guess we know different people. I would never say I was from DC! Not only is it inaccurate, but if you say that, people are likely to looked shocked and say "You mean the crime capital of the United States?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Lake Ridge, VA
2 posts, read 5,539 times
Reputation: 10
Hello, this is my first post on this site. I live in NOVA(the Lake Ridge area), and I consider myself a Southerner. I go against the grain of the NOVA culture and call myself a Virginian. I was born in Washington D.C., and moved to Fairfax County in 1992, when I was 10 years old. Many of my ancestors were from Virginia and North Carolina. In culture and politics, I more identify with the South. Maybe it has something to do with my upbringing.

I do find that NOVA has a very different feel than the rest of the state; perhaps it has something to do with the people, and the pace of life. For some reason, I feel relaxed, refreshed, and more at home when I drive away from the D.C. area on I-95 S or I-81 S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
 
55 posts, read 176,998 times
Reputation: 37
No offense but honestly this is one of the most ridiculous things that I have ever heard. I am born and raised here and when someone asks where I am from I respond with VIRGINIA. Then they will ask, "oh really, what are you near." That's when I respond with NOVA about 35 miles outside of Washington, DC.

I also have NEVER, EVER in my lifetime said I am from Washington, DC when I am from Virginia and I don't know a single sole who has ever said that.

People will question about my state and where I live and I will tell them that lots of times it is considered the Washington, Metropolitan area (being MD, DC and VA are grouped together basically just on the local news to talk about traffic, etc.).

Once again I will post and say that a huge percentage of people that are living in NOVA are NOT from here and moved here ONLY for a job. I HIGHLY doubt that you would find a person that was born and raised here say that they are from DC and not VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,107 posts, read 12,633,244 times
Reputation: 3755
We have been here 16 years. Prince William. We have never said we are from DC. Like NOVA.123 said, we answer that we are from Virginia. Then, when someone asks "where in VA?" we say PW, or NoVa, south of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Richmond
395 posts, read 397,355 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTAlum2005 View Post
Hello, this is my first post on this site. I live in NOVA(the Lake Ridge area), and I consider myself a Southerner. I go against the grain of the NOVA culture and call myself a Virginian. I was born in Washington D.C., and moved to Fairfax County in 1992, when I was 10 years old. Many of my ancestors were from Virginia and North Carolina. In culture and politics, I more identify with the South. Maybe it has something to do with my upbringing.

I do find that NOVA has a very different feel than the rest of the state; perhaps it has something to do with the people, and the pace of life. For some reason, I feel relaxed, refreshed, and more at home when I drive away from the D.C. area on I-95 S or I-81 S.
You sound a lot like me. I grew up in Sterling, VA. Most of my family was from Richmond area and points South. My ancestors were all Confederates. I also have ancestors from the Deeper South- Miss , TN, Arkansas, etc. In School I would get make fun of because they would call me a "hick" or something because I have a Virginia accent, and most kids didnt. Some did, but they were made fun of too. I was actually born in New York state but moved to Loudoun County when I was 8 years old. My parents are from Richmond. I feel like a Southerner and identify with Southern things and way of life. I love the movie Gone With The Wind and would pretend to be a Confederate soldier.

The Northern Virginia kids seemed so spoiled and materialistic to me. My father did have a nice job, but we never bragged about his bank account like some of the kids would do to each other. We didn't care. That seems a rather Northern thing to do.

I was born in the North, but only by accident- my dad had a job there. I will always be a Virginian, and I am proud of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top