Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM

798 posts, read 2,719,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Has anyone ever tried kayaking in Lake Anne? Do they allow the general public there, or is it for association members only?
I would be interested in the answer to this as well.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,839,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I would be interested in the answer to this as well.
Thanks!
Maybe we'll try it this weekend and see what happens. I'll let you know if someone tries to stop us, or if we see any signs saying the lake's for residents only.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe we'll try it this weekend and see what happens. I'll let you know if someone tries to stop us, or if we see any signs saying the lake's for residents only.
Well, maybe not this weekend. Looks like it's going to be soggy....

Old 09-25-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Well, maybe not this weekend. Looks like it's going to be soggy....
Thanks, I will be interested to hear about it when ever you get the chance to check it out.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,421,363 times
The Occoquan River is a great place to kayak. My wife and I got our kayaks in July, and one of our favorite places to go is Fountainhead Regional Park (http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/fountainhead/ - broken link) (Fairfax County). West of the dam, the Occoquan is a reservoir - no swimming, no jet skis, no boats with motors over 10 horsepower. It's a great spot for fishing (from what we've observed) and a wonderful place for a relaxing paddle. We were there last Friday for about five hours, and had a great time (as usual). We usually see a fair amount of wildlife - great blue herons, egrets, bald eagles, ospreys, deer, etc.

You can also put in at Lake Ridge Marina (Prince William).

To access the Occoquan east of the dam (where the Occoquan is no longer a reservoir and therefore much busier, go to the Occoquan Regional Park (Fairfax County).

We've also tried Pohick Bay and Mason Neck, but because they are bays, there's more traffic and no restrictions on the size of motors or type of watercraft. And the water seemed to be more choppy and a bit more of a challenge.

I'd be interested in hearing about Lake Anna - that's a spot we've talked about trying.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:19 AM

Thanks GreenGene, we will check these out!!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried kayaking in Lake Anne? Do they allow the general public there, or is it for association members only?
For the record I am planning to head down to try kayaking here tomorrow (Saturday, September 4, 2010). I will report back with my results. I think you can just go to the Reston Used Book Store and rent them by the hour. I'd imagine they'd be cheaper than what I paid last week at the Thompson Boat Center in the District, and it would be so much nicer to walk someplace to kayak instead of driving and then feeding parking meters in Georgetown. Kayaking is kayaking, right?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,959,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
For the record I am planning to head down to try kayaking here tomorrow (Saturday, September 4, 2010). I will report back with my results. I think you can just go to the Reston Used Book Store and rent them by the hour. I'd imagine they'd be cheaper than what I paid last week at the Thompson Boat Center in the District, and it would be so much nicer to walk someplace to kayak instead of driving and then feeding parking meters in Georgetown. Kayaking is kayaking, right?
Have fun! If you don't find the rentals through the book store, check at the gym (I think it's called Body by Geoff or something like that). I seem to recall seeing them there.

Lake Anne and Beaverdam are two great places when you're new to the sport. The difference between rivers and lakes is with lakes you don't have a lot of little island, coves, bridges, etc. to explore. Although Lake Anne does have the Monet Bridge and the canal, which can be interesting and are good places to get photos of herons.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Have fun! If you don't find the rentals through the book store, check at the gym (I think it's called Body by Geoff or something like that). I seem to recall seeing them there.

Lake Anne and Beaverdam are two great places when you're new to the sport. The difference between rivers and lakes is with lakes you don't have a lot of little island, coves, bridges, etc. to explore. Although Lake Anne does have the Monet Bridge and the canal, which can be interesting and are good places to get photos of herons.
I'm just back from kayaking, and I must say it was amazing. I walked over to Lake Anne, made my way through the crowds at the farmers' market, and headed to the used book store. I spoke to Bud Burwell, co-owner of the store (who is also a great supporter of the upcoming Reston Regional Library used book sale that I love to volunteer at, by the way) about renting a kayak. He took my basic information and gave me a little red ticket to present to the boat attendant. It was only $6/hour to rent a kayak---DIRT CHEAP! However, tomorrow (Sunday, September 5, 2010) is the LAST DAY you can rent kayaks for the season. This means next weekend it's back to the much higher hourly pricing in Georgetown, unless someone knows of another cheap place.

I made my way down to the dock and saw nobody was around. After about five minutes this dreamy California surfer-looking dude came down to assist me. I presented my ticket, filled out a sheet with my personal information, and he helped me into a kayak. Off I went. The strong winds today made for some great water, and I felt my muscles really straining as I tried to speed-paddle against the wind/waves. I spent about an hour out on the kayak, and then headed back to the dock, took one last longing glance at the boat attendant (who I'm 99% sure didn't swing in my direction....grrrr), and then headed back to my home in the Uplands via the path/trail system.

Now I'm battling an allergy attack from the sky-high pollen count, but if my Claritin kicks in soon I'm planning to go running at Burke Lake. If not, I may drive out to Winchester to cluck like a chicken in the middle of the pedestrian mall and scare South Jersey Styx!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM

Sounds like you found a good deal. If you want to try kayaking on the river next spring, the best deal may be at Riverbend Park. You have to take a class first (which costs about $35 and includes a guided river tour). Then, once they know that you know the basics rentals are $15 for 2-3 hours. Riverbend includes riffles, islands, coves, and interesting landmark on the MD side, and lots of nesting birds. But the season is coming to a close there (which is a shame because some of the best kayaking is in October and November, IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia