Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Guru View Post
Was at Merrified Garden Center early this morning and they have a huge selection of Pansies. Unlike Betty's Azalea Ranch, the staff was very friendly and helpful.
Of course you were at Merriefied Garden, you work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,823 times
Hey Lawn Guru go back to work (at Merrifield) and get off the computer, you have customers to help. It's one thing to try to help people but another to spread B.S. about the competition (Betty's). And if you are the "Lawn Guru" why would you need help in picking out a plant?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
I have been to Betty's Azeala Ranch but not the Merrifield Garden Center, so I can't make a direct comparision of the two. However, I have always found the service and the quality of plants at Betty's to be very good. One of the women on the gardening staff was very helpful to me on two separate occasions when I was buying some yews and later some potted small shrubs for my patio; I likewise have been pleased with a holly I bought there. When I needed to buy a flat of periwinkle to fill in some gaps in my ground cover, I checked out both Meadow Farms and Betty's; what was available at Betty's was noticeably better.

Again, this is only my experience, but I've never had reason to complain about Betty's on all my trips there. In fact, when my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told her to get me a gift certificate for Betty's, as she did last year.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem0369 View Post
The one that attempted to help me became visibly upset because I did not speak Spanish and tromped off. Did not realize that Spanish was a first language at Merrifields.
I'm surprised to hear that, considering Merrifield is a family business and many of the employees are family members or family friends.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I just went to Bluemont nursery, and liked the plants there.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM

509 posts, read 974,758 times
I don't know about the other Merrifield Garden Centers, but the new one in Gainesville the staff is always very helpful. I don't believe I've ever encountered any "Spanish speaking" staff. The place is very dog friendly too and you can take your dog inside the store.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM

51 posts, read 133,571 times
With all this snow, it has me thinking about Spring...it has to be around the corner.

Just heard Merrifield Garden Center has snow shovels in stock...too bad they don't deliver LOL

Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Guru View Post
With all this snow, it has me thinking about Spring...it has to be around the corner.

Just heard Merrifield Garden Center has snow shovels in stock...too bad they don't deliver LOL
LOL, I was just going to post the same thing! You know, by this weekend MGC is going to be hopping. Not only is it the only place around with snow shovels (at least, that's what I hear) but they have a fabulous indoor garden area. Boy am I in the mood to walk around in there, looking at flowers and smelling the orchids.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 PM

51 posts, read 133,571 times
So true, just spend about 15 mins there and you will be begging for Spring

I was trying to get information on growing tomatoes in containers and they were very helpful; just ordered my plants from Burpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I was just going to post the same thing! You know, by this weekend MGC is going to be hopping. Not only is it the only place around with snow shovels (at least, that's what I hear) but they have a fabulous indoor garden area. Boy am I in the mood to walk around in there, looking at flowers and smelling the orchids.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Just a heads up if you're planning to use Merrifield's coupons this year. In the past they had coupons in the store, but this year you must bring the coupon that was mailed to you. I was just at the Fair Oaks store and had to drive all the way back to Loudoun County just to get a frickin' coupon. And the clerk who told me I had to do this was not even sympathetic about it.

I'm not sure if she was rude or if maybe she was just dense--either way I expect better customer service than that. My time is valuable, gas is not cheap, and they couldn't even be bothered to say "I'm sorry."

I've been a good customer for decades and until now happy to recommend them, but this new attitude has rubbed me the wrong way. I was willing to put up with the higher prices because I thought they had good service, but I don't think I'll be using them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia