U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,665 times

Advertisements

Do any of you know much about the Sheffield Court apartment complex in Arlington? I have read mixed reviews online, and was wondering of any of you knew the area. I need a one bedroom in NoVa that allows dogs, walkable to the metro, and cannot spend over 1400 dollars a month on a place. I know impossible. My girlfriend and I have jobs in DC, and really like the arlington/alexandria area. Anywho this is the only complex that really fits my criteria, and need some feedback. Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
Sheffield Court
I moved to Sheffield Court because a friend had lived there. The only reason he moved was because they allowed dogs. Unfortunately I signed a year contract and I could not get out. I would NOT recommend Sheffield Court.
Relatively expensive- While it used to be cheap, they have raised prices way beyond what the places are worth.
Inconvenient- It is not as close to the Metro as they say- it is a total pain in the ass, and I still ended up driving everywhere.
No Parking- I usually had to park blocks away, so although they advertise parking, you have to pay, and guests/tenants take up the parking on the street nearby
Loud- I lived facing Rt. 50 and you could hear constant noise from the street
Extremely Old- The appliances are all on their last leg; the closets are pretty much non-existent and you need to have a wardrobe; the rugs are ancient; the complex does the minimal maintenance to get by
No response from Management- The one guy who was really great left (go figure), and the management leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to reach them, you have email 3 times, call twice, and then eventually go wait in their office to get a reasonable answer.
Non- Facilities- Yes, they have a pool, but it is only open for a small amount of time; and the “gym” is dank and smells.
Overall, I would recommend shopping around before you settle on Sheffield Court. It is decent if your options are limited, but trust me, you can find much better in the area.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM

593 posts, read 2,243,353 times
One of my co-workers actually used to live in Sheffield Court. He said "not great, but not bad either."

The main thing to realize is that it's priced at 1400 for a reason. Given the great location, at that price, you're generally going to have to put up w/ things like older appliances, a bit more noise, apathetic management, etc.

But hey, it is 1400, which is a pretty decent price. If it had new appliances, attentive management, really nice amenities, and other things like that, it wouldn't be 1400...it would be more like 16-1700/mo.

If 1400 is your max budget, it comes down to choosing between:
an older building in a good location
or a newer building in a less desirable location (further from the Metro).

One other thought---I was in a similar situation as you last year (looking for a new apt in Arlington with my g/f) and we ended up deciding to sell our car so that we could afford to live in a nicer apartment. Cutting out that monthly expense makes a big difference in your budget. It isn't possible for everyone, especially if you need a car to commute, but that is what a lot of young people do to be able to live in Arlington.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 4,746 times
Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if there were current residents at Sheffield. I have a dog so I'm limited in terms for where I can live. I'm also hoping to keep my car if possible. Overall, it'd be great to spend less than $1600 a month, which might be just about doable with a studio. I also like how there is a dishwasher/washer/dryer. Parking already seems to be a problem - I couldn't even find parking as a prospective tenant - but I won't use the car except for weekends. There is a bus I can commute to work so I don't have to trek as far as I would to the metro.

The impression I got from them was kind of weird, though. I also didn't love the lack of diversity when I peeked at the pool. And of course, there are definitely mixed reviews. But if there are no bed bugs, I might be able to handle it.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 AM

48 posts, read 44,119 times
Ha! This will be of no help whatsoever but I feel the need to say...

I lived there in 913 N. Wayne St. in 1979-1981 when it was still Lee Gardens. Back then it had all the same problems listed in the OP. I moved into an efficiency for $160/mo. Then they raised it to $175. When it went up again to the astronomical cost of $210/mo I moved out and into a group house.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 4,746 times
Haha, thanks! I'm guessing it's different management now, but that is quite an astronomical increase!

Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,684,045 times
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that lives there so I cant give feedback but I would be very careful because their reviews are not that great.

I assume that you mean that the black population is very small which is pretty much true anywhere in North Arlington. South Arlington and Alexandria have a bigger black population if that's what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia