U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM

738 posts, read 2,624,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Sure, I don't see why not. If you'd be comfortable flying with kids, there's no reason you couldn't take a bus trip with them. They just need to be able to sit still for 5 hours.

Also look into Bolt Bus. It leaves from Metro center, and was WONDERFUL when I took it to NYC. There was free wi-fi on the bus, so I brought my laptop and got all kinds of work done on the trip. Much more productive for me than flying or driving! (And much cheaper than the train--it's less than $20 each way).

I've also used Bolt Bus and it was a great experience. I'll probably never drive to NYC again, it was $10 for the trip up and $14 for the trip back. The buses were extremely clean, the drivers were friendly, and having free wi-fi made the trip a breeze.

I went on thanksgiving week (mon-wed before thanksgiving) and the trip up had maybe ~10 people max on the bus, so we were free to spread out. The driver was fun and friendly, they made one rest stop about half way and the trip was about 4 hours (7:30-11:45am). Picks you up at the large lot in china town, and drops you off at Penn Station.

The way back the bus was pretty full since lots of people returned for thanksgiving, but it was still fine. They detoured around the traffic and the trip was about 6 hours returning, but if you know thanksgiving traffic then 6 hours isn't bad at all coming to DC from NYC.

We're going to plan several more NYC trips now since it made things so easy with the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thanks for the review, Caladium. I hope your mother makes a full and speedy recovery.
Thanks. Sadly, we're beyond the point of recovery but at least we can make her comfortable. I have a feeling I'm going to be making this trip quite a bit in the next year. So thank god the Vamoose turned out to be such a pleasant ride. It still surprises me. I've had such a prejudice against buses ever since I tried to take a Greyhound cross country back in the 70's. I guess busses have improved over the years.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM

257 posts, read 499,505 times
Are there any convenient buses from Dulles up to NYC?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Are there any convenient buses from Dulles up to NYC?
I don't know of any. I'd like to see a bus leave from Reston Town Center. Lots of New Yorkers there who'd use the service.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM

257 posts, read 499,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't know of any. I'd like to see a bus leave from Reston Town Center. Lots of New Yorkers there who'd use the service.
Including my wife and I... and we're not NY'ers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia