Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forums up and down but haven't found what I'm looking for. I recently purchased some land in the Mason Neck area and have been looking for home builders that will build on my lot. I tried contacting a few of the subdivision builders that claim on their web sites that they would build on your lot, but never received a response back. The only builder that I've been able to talk with (New Dimensions, Inc.) made a very favorable impression, but I'd like to explore multiple options before making a commitment.
Since I own the lot, I'm looking for something in the $350k - $450K range around 3000-3500 sf. I'm in no immediate rush to build. My target is the summer of 2010.
Any suggestions / recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 AM

78 posts, read 274,264 times
Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but congratulations on the purchase of your land, Mason Neck is a very pretty area! Enjoy!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM

49 posts, read 324,326 times
I have a friend who I trust who works for a home builder called "Classic Homes" If you google "classic homes build on your lot" (the url is http://www.classichomes.cc/, not sure if we're allowed to post links to commercial sites) you should find their website. Their homes are in the price range that you're seeking. My friend said NDI, while being cheap and honest, uses lower quality construction materials. I went to one of their open houses and wasn't terribly impressed but the house wasn't terrible. We also looked at Stanley Martin which has a custom home division (Stanley Martin Companies). Their homes were definitely the nicest that we saw but were much pricier ( > 450k but price includes some site work). There's tons of home builders in the area that will build on your lot but we only talked to the 3 that I mentioned. If you cruise around the site NVBIA - Home you'll find some.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:18 PM

14 posts, read 88,023 times
In this market, you really shouldnt be paying more than $125 a square foot to have someone build your home. You can do it yourself and save a ton..probably around $55 a sqft. Be cautious with builders. Put something in your contract pertaining to completion dates for rough-in and drywall and finishing the job. Remember this is YOUR home.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonChris View Post
I have a friend who I trust who works for a home builder called "Classic Homes" If you google "classic homes build on your lot" (the url is Classic Homes, not sure if we're allowed to post links to commercial sites) you should find their website. Their homes are in the price range that you're seeking. My friend said NDI, while being cheap and honest, uses lower quality construction materials. I went to one of their open houses and wasn't terribly impressed but the house wasn't terrible. We also looked at Stanley Martin which has a custom home division (Stanley Martin Companies). Their homes were definitely the nicest that we saw but were much pricier ( > 450k but price includes some site work). There's tons of home builders in the area that will build on your lot but we only talked to the 3 that I mentioned. If you cruise around the site NVBIA - Home you'll find some.
Thanks for the info. I contacted Classic Homes and will definitely be considering them.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM

10 posts, read 56,393 times
I built a house for family here in Front Royal (2200 sq. ft. plus finished basement) for cost plus 15% and they moved in for under my estimate. They also did their own flooring, bought the kitchen and bath cabinets, and helped me do the painting-colors in all the rooms. At around $95 a square foot, the excavating work (750ft. driveway, clearing 1 acre out of a five acre lot, dig out for foundation, alternative drainfield, and final grading was about 42,000. Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 56,393 times
Default Home building cost

I built a 2200 sq. ft. (plus finished basement) house for a family here in Front Royal area for cost plus 15% it worked out at about $95 per square foot. The site work (750' driveway, clearing a little more than an acre of trees on the five acre lot, dig out for foundation, alternative drainfield, final grading, seeding) was at 42,000. They also did their own flooring and we painted colors together in all the rooms. They moved in at under my total estimate. Pricing in your area may be different but not by much.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 14,150 times
Default NDI built my home!

NDI built my home in the City of Falls Church and they did a wonderful job. The earlier post about "lower quality" building materials is inaccurate. They use all the same construction materials as Stanley Martin (believe me - we did our research!). We did upgrade some of the finishes but even that pricing was reasonable. They were definitely best value we found and they have been around for 20 years doing this! I highly recommend them! [URL="http://www.newdimensionsinc.com"]www.newdimensionsinc.com[/URL]

Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 AM

I had a very positive meeting with NDI back in August. I did not have time to tour one of their open houses / model homes but they're definitely on my short list. I didn't find out about Classic Homes until this thread. I checked out their web site and contacted them via email. They responded quickly, however I'm still waiting for the brochure to arrive in the mail that they said they were sending more than a month ago. I emailed them again a few days ago - they apologized and are supposed to be sending me another one right away.
The only other builder that I had any response from was National Capital Homes. They were supposed to meet me at my property but were a no show. I made several attempts to stop by their office but was unsuccessful in meeting with them.

FCHokie, if you don't mind me asking, which model from NDI did you have built? If we were choosing today we'd probably have the Brittany built.

btw - just for background info, I am in the military currently stationed in Germany but expect to transfer to NOVA (Fort Belvoir) this summer. This will be my last move as I plan to retire. We bought the land this past summer but do not want to start building until we're back in the states for good.

DJP

Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 AM

24 posts, read 91,673 times
Classic homes is a pricey product. had a few friends who built in there Stafford subdivision that got nickled and dimed to death. If you build with them do the design stuff before you sign the contract as it adds up quick. They also use to operate under a diffrent company name Charman something then later created Classic at least that's what my friend found out. I would say check out Mcdaniel & sons, they are small but own there own concrete company so they can give you a better price per sq. ft. 804-224-0400 my friend in Westmoreland built with them and had a great expierence. Good luck with whomever you get, and always, always check there contractor's license!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia