Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Dale City, Prince William County, 27 years ago. We moved from Maryland where we just couldn't find affordable housing for our growing family (our second child had just been born). We moved here so long ago that I would not have considered Prince William to be "Northern Virginia" at the time, but the way the whole area has grown, I sure do now!

We've been in four houses during that time, in four very different neighborhoods, and our experiences were different with each. None of them were bad. In the townhouse we bought prior to moving to the house we're in now, we quickly developed very good friendships with many of the people in our section of the community. And when we moved into this house (we've been here 16 years), we also developed good friendships.

I think NOVA is a good place to live - good for families, but also good for people like my wife and me, now empty nesters and retired from the federal government.

Believe me, our lives are much more enjoyable now that we don't commute up and down 95/395 every day!!

When the housing market recovers a bit, we'll be looking to sell our house (it's way more house than the two of us need), and move north to New England. I am originally from Boston, and I have a sister still in Mass., another in Vermont (both older and both retired now), and our son is in New Hampshire.

But in the 6 months we've been retired, we have come to enjoy NOVA even more than we have in the past, and it will certainly be with mixed feelings that we'll leave the place we've called home for so many years. The pull of family is very strong, though, and I'm sure we'll be just fine no matter where we end up.

What's that saying? Home is where the heart is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 40,565 times
JMadison. If I am not misstaken, the guys on Myth Busters, the t.v. show, debunked the idea that "mist" from the toilet gets on your toothbrush.

I hope this is one less thing that you can worry about.

I am also wondering why you would comment on a place you haven't been in 10 years and on one an encounter with one person in a luggage store?

Perhaps you should seek out another thread about something you really know about.

With that said, I hope you have fully recovered from your awful accident.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
UFC

2 posts, read 4,928 times
NOVA is a place where time goes fast. People are arrogant even when you work out at a local gym and need a "spot" they look at you like you asked for money. In the gym you suppose to help when you're asked for it. Now, imagine in other things what's the level of arrogance?!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC View Post
NOVA is a place where time goes fast. People are arrogant even when you work out at a local gym and need a "spot" they look at you like you asked for money. In the gym you suppose to help when you're asked for it. Now, imagine in other things what's the level of arrogance?!
Sounds like it's time for a new gym. Or, even better--work out outdoors. There are an incredible number of hiking trails here. Plenty of room for everyone, no need to ask for a spot. Go for a walk, get some fresh air, and enjoy the beauty of spring.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM

59 posts, read 162,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle11 View Post
JMadison. If I am not misstaken, the guys on Myth Busters, the t.v. show, debunked the idea that "mist" from the toilet gets on your toothbrush.
I saw that episode. Actually, they showed that fecal coliforms where on the toothbrush, including the control toothbrush. Their experts said it is nearly impossible to avoid it getting everywhere. It wasn't at a dangerous level though - although it's not something you want to think about too often.

The test was probably a bit dubious though if the control brush had contamination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia