U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 20,103 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a preschool that will work on a child's behavior problems with us? Current preschool refuses to follow our plans/suggestions so my son keeps ending up in the Director's office. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! I'm in Chantilly but am willing to drive to the right place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,953,170 times
I suggest you contact FCPS to have a screening done on your child to determine if he has any developmental difficulties that are causing his behavioral problems:

FCPS Child Find: Overview

Old 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks. Have done that already. He's only just 4 so, aside from suggesting a follow-up in 6 mos, they will not diagnose at this age....

Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM

12 posts, read 60,710 times
"Behavior problems" run the gamut from high distractibility and inability to focus, to biting other kids. Luckily, my 4-year-old was the former, and he did wonderfully at the Montessori school on Lees Corner Road in Chantilly. They're wonderful people, especially the director -- she keeps a close eye on the kids and the teachers. They do have a waiting list, though, so you could also try other Montessori schools in your area.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks! My son is also in the former category. Would you (and others) say that Montessori is effective for this type of child?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 43,647 times
My 6 year-old benefited from FCPS Child Find service when he was 3. They did a series of evaluations. I first called them in October and they placed him in a FCPS preschool in April. It takes time but if your child does have a problem, they will get him placed.

Be sure to get started with Child Find before your child turns 5.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 AM

14 posts, read 40,340 times
My son had the same problems and got "dismissed" from 3 preschools. The program they have for his age might not be challenging him. It is a good idea to speak with the Directors on trying a new approach to the problem.

My son is now in Kindergarten, has First grade language arts in the morning and kindergarten in the afternoon. It is hard to tell what goes on in their minds but a combination of my son's school situation and an "education first" football team has helped us alot.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 PM

12 posts, read 60,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison72 View Post
Thanks! My son is also in the former category. Would you (and others) say that Montessori is effective for this type of child?
In our experience, my son thrived in this environment in kindergarten, but experienced a difficult transition into regular public school for first grade. The Montessori method emphasizes allowing a child to learn at his own pace in a relatively unstructured environment, whereas public school often requires the group to sit still quietly and look at the teacher for instruction.

That said, he's doing well in second grade, but still has difficulty keeping still and quiet, especially in group settings. He has a wonderful teacher, though, so that's helped a lot. If he didn't, I would consider moving him back to Montessori or another private school with smaller class sizes or homeschooling him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or