U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 29,529 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the North VA area some time soon. And I was wondering if anyone who is actually a resident of Alexandria or someone who go's there on a regular basis could give me a little bit more info other than what's on the city-data website. Numbers don't lie but more could be said about the mood or the feel of a particular place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:45 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,369,071 times
if you get up early, you can watch the airplanes taking off at the airport.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,098,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Cat Daddy View Post
I am thinking about moving to the North VA area some time soon. And I was wondering if anyone who is actually a resident of Alexandria or someone who go's there on a regular basis could give me a little bit more info other than what's on the city-data website. Numbers don't lie but more could be said about the mood or the feel of a particular place.
Alexandria is a pretty varied place so it would be hard to truly summarize it in a paragraph or two. I've worked in Alexandria (Old Town) for over 3 years and moved here in the spring. IMO it's an affluent city overall, no doubt influenced byits proximity to DC and the Pentagon over in Arlington.

Old Town, which runs up to the waterfront, is the most historical and expensive part of the city. It's popular as a tourist destination, a headquarters for the Patent Trademark Office and numerous associations, as well as a hangout for 30somethings to Baby Boomers.

Del Ray, while no Greenwich Village, has a slight bohemian vibe. I've seen a lot of young families and others perusing the cafes, alternative health facilities and homegrown shops along Mt. Vernon Avenue.

Towards the West End, Cameron Station is an upscale townhouse community that has been dealing with the controversy of a sometimes noxious waste treatment plant nearby. Still further west near the Fairfax County border lies the Landmark area, home to various high-rise apartments and a namesake mall that appears to be dying a slow death.

I know I've left out a huge swath of information but that's all that I know. I'm sure others will fill in my blanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:08 AM

23,654 posts, read 33,477,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Alexandria is a pretty varied place so it would be hard to truly summarize it in a paragraph or two. I've worked in Alexandria (Old Town) for over 3 years and moved here in the spring. IMO it's an affluent city overall, no doubt influenced byits proximity to DC and the Pentagon over in Arlington.

Old Town, which runs up to the waterfront, is the most historical and expensive part of the city. It's popular as a tourist destination, a headquarters for the Patent Trademark Office and numerous associations, as well as a hangout for 30somethings to Baby Boomers.

Del Ray, while no Greenwich Village, has a slight bohemian vibe. I've seen a lot of young families and others perusing the cafes, alternative health facilities and homegrown shops along Mt. Vernon Avenue.

Towards the West End, Cameron Station is an upscale townhouse community that has been dealing with the controversy of a sometimes noxious waste treatment plant nearby. Still further west near the Fairfax County border lies the Landmark area, home to various high-rise apartments and a namesake mall that appears to be dying a slow death.

I know I've left out a huge swath of information but that's all that I know. I'm sure others will fill in my blanks.
Agreed, except on Landmark Mall. I think it is already dead, someone just needs to finally bury it.

Arlandria is home to a massive latino immigrant population (legal and illegal). It is sandwiched by DelRay to the south and the Arlington county line to the north. This area is where most of the city's violent crime happens, Not Detroit or SE DC by any stretch but if you can avoid this area.

ParkFairfax is home to a large professional population. The condos are pretty old but it is a safe clean area.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:29 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,702,905 times
Parts of Alexandria are also on the outside of the beltway, making them a little more suburban, yet with great metro access and slightly less expensive. There are definitely parts of Alexandria that I wouldn't go to, but never have to either. There are family neighborhoods, both inside and outside the beltway and apt complexes that seem to cater to more yuppie crowd, such as around Eisenhower and Duke. Kingstowne offers a little bit of both, as does that immediate area. It really depends on what you are looking for. Or what you would sacrifice to have. I would kill to live in Old Town, but don't think I could give my two car garage.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,383,902 times
I live on the edge of Alexandria, kind of beside Arlandra and Pentagon City.

You'll find a mix of everything:
- all races and types of people
- every income level, from old money to public housing
- big box retail to mom and pop stores
- jammed roads at rush hour with suitable alternate routes that are often clear if you know the back streets

My biggest problems with the area?

The rent is inflated.
Most of Alexandria isn't pedestrian-friendly.
Jefferson Davis HWY/ Rte. 1/ US HWY 1 is often a mess and best avoided when possible.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:06 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,098,030 times
We should also make the distinction between the City of Alexandria and the Alexandria section of Fairfax County. They are contiguous but the county section include areas such as the moderately upscale (if a bit sterile IMO) big box haven of Kingstowne as well as the often-maligned Route 1 corridor (which has its nice spots, particularly east of Route 1 towards the GW Parkway and waterfront).

Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 AM

39 posts, read 187,219 times
I just would add that Cameron Station is also dealing with a new ethanol transfer facility near the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post

-------------------------snip ----------------------------------

Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 AM

1,772 posts, read 5,612,968 times
I lived there from '96-'04 and was there often after that. I consider the nice areas to be grossly overpriced for what you get and all areas have horrendous traffic that's only getting worse. When I bought my house near Kingtowne, which was just a TH development then, there were still horse farms on Beulah St. Now it's mcmansions and more townhouses. Just hideous. Old Town is nice, but incredibly expensive and has bad traffic too. If money were no object and I had to live in Alexandria, it would be near Mt. Vernon.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 33,477,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I lived there from '96-'04 and was there often after that. I consider the nice areas to be grossly overpriced for what you get and all areas have horrendous traffic that's only getting worse. When I bought my house near Kingtowne, which was just a TH development then, there were still horse farms on Beulah St. Now it's mcmansions and more townhouses. Just hideous. Old Town is nice, but incredibly expensive and has bad traffic too. If money were no object and I had to live in Alexandria, it would be near Mt. Vernon.
I work near the Mt Vernon area off Rt 1. That is the second to last place i would send someone in Alexandria. The last place is Arlandria.

I will not argue with you that Alexandria is overpriced. Especially when the public school quality is thrown in. I consider Alexandria City Public Schools an OK system. But I can understand someone who has $500k to kill on a house would choose somewhere else over Alexandria for public schools. Yes, the schools in the "Fairfax Co" Alexandria aren't that hot either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia