U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 PM

11,360 posts, read 20,154,735 times

Advertisements

Did they call you to remind you of the appt.? I think if they didn't, there shouldn't be a charge - very easy to lose your little appt. card in the course of your day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Did they call you to remind you of the appt.? I think if they didn't, there shouldn't be a charge - very easy to lose your little appt. card in the course of your day.

Yea they called and reminded me, and it was my fault for not remembering. I was also aware of the 75 dollar charge. I just found it to be unusual to charge that amount for a no-show.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 15,683 times
I work for a dental office. We typically give our patients 3 chances for missing appts. We value our patients time as well as our own. Giving three chances allows us to evaluate whether or not our time is valued by the patient. I advise that you talk to the owner of the practice about this. This is issue is brought up all the time and maybe he/she will take it into consideration a little more at the risk of losing patients

Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,653 times
OK, so when do I get to charge all my missed appointment customers in the auto repair shop. I have noumerous missed appointments every day. My Dentist is charging me for my first missed appointment. No way I'm paying for a service not rendered and a charge not agreed upon. Like I've seen in other posts he has never offered to pay me when he misses or leaves me sitting for long periods of time. I get $98. an hour. Should I charge him when I'm having down time in his waiting room? Is business that good that they can anger customers so they leave? There's a Dentist on every corner!!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaMDT View Post
OK, so when do I get to charge all my missed appointment customers in the auto repair shop. I have noumerous missed appointments every day. My Dentist is charging me for my first missed appointment. No way I'm paying for a service not rendered and a charge not agreed upon. Like I've seen in other posts he has never offered to pay me when he misses or leaves me sitting for long periods of time. I get $98. an hour. Should I charge him when I'm having down time in his waiting room? Is business that good that they can anger customers so they leave? There's a Dentist on every corner!!
Yea when you have a lot of working professionals in one area, that means the more people have medical/dental insurance. My theory is try to make those appointments and use my calendar to help me remember. However, if some office will charge you $75 for a missed visit, then I'm not giving my business to them. We are humans and make mistakes.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM

2,676 posts, read 6,238,435 times
Whenever I get charged some sort of "late fee" for a utility bill, I just call and ask if they would consider redacting the charge. I've never had anyone say no. I don't often send my bills in late, but every once in a while I'll forget to pay a bill 'cause I misplace it or something like that. Since I have a good track record of paying my bills on time, they forgive my once in a blue moon mistakes. I'm sure they understand that my continued business is more important than a one time fee.

If they're going the collections route, it's probably too late to negotiate the fee. If you haven't already done so, then suck it up and pay the fee. Last thing you need is to have the collection in your credit report or background check. It does come up and could cause you a job oppurtunity in the future.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 AM

931 posts, read 3,464,185 times
It's common courtesy to call ahead at least 24 hours if you cannot make any kind of appointment. When you don't show up, they don't make money. If they had time to plan and schedule someone else, they would be making money. It's a business. It's how it works. They lost money because of you. Next time don't be selfish. Call ahead and cancel and ask to reschedule. Tell them you are sorry that you are giving them more work to do. You know they keep track of how many times you do this. The people in the office all talk about it. They all know. $75 is not unreasonable.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 PM

380 posts, read 951,481 times
Same thing happened to me, but you know prior to my missing this appointment, this same dentist had canceled on me and other patients at the last minute. I decided to switch dentists, whether posted or not, if they can cancel without penalty, then the same should be the case for the patient.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM

226 posts, read 679,316 times
After reading this post, I feel very lucky to have the dentist that we have in Centreville. My daughter was ill with a sore throat and I called to cancel her appointment a few hours before she was due to be their for her 6-month cleaning/checkup. The receptionist was very polite and cancelled the appointment. We were not charged a fee for the cancellation. I feel our dentist values his long time patients and some flexibility is allowed with a missed/cancelled appointment. I'm inclined to think that if my daughter had forgotton her appointment, the same consideration would have been given by his office. This dental practice is exceptionally good with great dentists - this is why it has a great reputation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia