Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 32,362 times

Advertisements

We curently live in S Florida and my husband is looking at a job offer that would bring him to the pentagon (or vicinity). We have 2 girls (4 yrs and 9 mth) and would be able to afford up to a $400K home.
What neighborhoods should I be looking at for housing - we would like 4 bdr. Good schools or even a private jewish school (Are there any?) and decent commute (1hr or less). I will have to find a new job and I will worry about that later.
Thank you so much.
Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM

194 posts, read 588,400 times
Even with the housing situation, $400k can get you that much. But as far as bang for the buck, I'd say stick with Lorton, Ft. Belvoir, and Woodbridge/Lakeridge,Occoquan.

Any school in Northern Virginia is above average as far as educational standards are concerned.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:36 PM

798 posts, read 2,720,769 times
I would also consider looking around the Burke, Alexandria (Fairfax County not Alexandria City) or parts of Springfield to meet you housing amount and good schools (sorry I can't help with the private Jewish school question). The area can be overwhelming when you are not familar with it (and most folks I know are only familiar with parts of it) so we found it easiest to break down and search by zip code. If your husband will be at the Pentagon, there are many mass transit options to consider as you look around as well.
Some sites that might help are:

MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases
Metro - Homepage

Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 32,362 times
Would Fairfax couty be my best bet? What neighborhoods would be best and which should I stay away from? As far as commute closer to what highway is better?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 PM

15,114 posts, read 27,599,211 times
Just curious why you don't like Alexandria City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I would also consider looking around the Burke, Alexandria (Fairfax County not Alexandria City) or parts of Springfield to meet you housing amount and good schools (sorry I can't help with the private Jewish school question). The area can be overwhelming when you are not familar with it (and most folks I know are only familiar with parts of it) so we found it easiest to break down and search by zip code. If your husband will be at the Pentagon, there are many mass transit options to consider as you look around as well.
Some sites that might help are:

MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases
Metro - Homepage

Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,079,075 times
It may be tough to find a 4BR home (unless it's a townhouse) in Fairfax County, even in this declining market. Your chances will improve greatly down in Prince William County (e.g. Woodbridge, Occuquan as already mentioned), I've been receiving flyers for SFHs for sale down there from the $300's... but the flipside is the long, often commute up clogged I-95 or Route 1.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,723 times
You can find many homes listed for sale or for rent on Craigslist.

Last edited by KathyinVA; 10-08-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,090,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joand2girls View Post
We curently live in S Florida and my husband is looking at a job offer that would bring him to the pentagon (or vicinity). We have 2 girls (4 yrs and 9 mth) and would be able to afford up to a $400K home.
What neighborhoods should I be looking at for housing - we would like 4 bdr. Good schools or even a private jewish school (Are there any?) and decent commute (1hr or less). I will have to find a new job and I will worry about that later.
Thank you so much.
Jo
I agree with the PP that a 4 bedroom SFH with less than an hour commute to the Pentagon for under $400K may be hard to find even in this market. The homes I've seen for that price in Burke (22015), West Springfield (22152), and parts of Fairfax (22032) are short-sales, foreclosures or sold "as is." Having said that, those neighborhoods are safe, family-friendly and you have several commuting options to the Pentagon.

You won't go wrong with the public schools in the area, particularly in Fairfax County and Arlington County. As far as Jewish schools in Northern VA, I know there is a Gesher Jewish Day School of Northern Virginia, but I don't know anyone who goes there to know its reputation: Gesher Jewish Day School

Last edited by mlv311; 10-08-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM

206 posts, read 631,612 times
Quote:
Thank you so much.
Jo
Based on your price limit on a home, you should probably consider Md and DC also.

There's a pretty big jewish population in western md, and you may be able to find a home in your price range around silver spring/kensington/wheaton. A popular jewish day school in MD is below:

http://www.cesjds.org/default.asp?SessionID={01E0DE0D-D3E2-49CE-BBFD-01D132905251}

If you decide to move to the Burke/Fairfax area, here's another jewish day school. Your hubby's drive to work would be rough though.

Gesher Jewish Day School

Also, you may be able to find something in your price range near the Columbia Heights area in DC. Commute for your hubby to work would be via the metro. Here's a school option for your kids.

The Jewish Primary Day School --

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM

206 posts, read 631,612 times
Quote:
Would Fairfax couty be my best bet? What neighborhoods would be best and which should I stay away from? As far as commute closer to what highway is better?
The best neighborhoods with the best schools in FFX Cty would be McLean, Vienna, West Falls Church, Great Falls, Falls Church City, and Oakton. Of course, all of them can be quite pricey.

If I were you, I would stay away from Alexandria, Eastern Falls Church (East of Seven Corners), Herndon, and parts of Springfield,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia