Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 31,720 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving in a few months and want to become familiar with Dulles/Sterling. What's the newspaper that people would read who live/work in the this area? Are they close enough to washington dc to read that city's newspaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,645,418 times
There's probably a local paper like Connection that will be thrown onto your driveway whether you want it or not.

I would say that the dominant newspaper in the region is the Washington Post which covers local stuff in the Metro Section and a weekly insert.

However, the Post is very left-leaning and for folks that can't handle that there is the far-right Washington Times (owned by the Rev Sun Myung Moon of "moonie" fame).

I still miss the venerable Evening Star that folded about 30 years ago....

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,955,821 times
The Loudoun Easterner is probably the best bet for local news, although if you google Loudoun newspapers you will find more on line and can read the snippets to see which one you like. The Washington Post has its Loudoun section on Thursdays and that is a good source but not as detailed as the local papers.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 PM
TNM

2 posts, read 5,700 times
Default There's a few...

Loudoun Independent, the Connection and Easterner are very local, but thin. Washington Post has a Loudoun section twice a week. Herndon Observer is more Reston/Herndon-centric. Loudoun Times and Leesburg Today are probably your best bets. Also try online hyperlocal sites and local blogs like Dulles South Online or LoudounExtra.com.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,211 times
Default Local Newspaper

I agree with Car54. I get the Centreville Times dropped in my yard once a week, but I subscribe to the Washington Times. At least they are more centered and tend to lean to the right more than the left.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:28 PM

17,167 posts, read 16,318,420 times
We subscribe to the Washington Post and Washington Times newspapers. The Post (as mentioned) is so far slanted to the left that it's political take is almost tabloidish, especially in election years. But the Post has a good Style, Real Estate and Sports section. Plus it has more local crime and human interest stories than the Times does.

The Times does lean to the Right but it does seem to present a more balanced view than the Post does.

The freebie Connection newspaper is a good source for local happenings. But it is free and, as such, we can't always rely on it being delivered every week.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 PM

722 posts, read 1,977,515 times
If I had to just pick one dominant paper, it would be The Post. It's a pretty thorough source for local news and info; it does a surprisingly good job of covering the suburbs. As for political slant? My friends on the left complain that it isn't liberal enough; my friends on the right complain that it is too liberal. I think that means they're doing a pretty good job

Personally, I also like the 3 pages of comics every day!

But if you want strictly local local, I agree with TNM about the Loudon Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia