Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,290 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Richard and I have just been informed my ex wife is taking my son to Middletown VA and enrolling him in school there. Christian is currently a freshman in Chantilly HS where his older brother graduated from and has lived in the Chantilly area since he was four. One main problem for me is I have shared custody, I pick him up every weekend after school and return him sunday night, I live near Frederick Md but work near Washington and Bethesda MD. I have major concerns of now driving to pick him up in Middletown on Friday afternoons this commute has got to be horrible! How far and how long would be helpful? Als
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,625,404 times
Mmmm, looks like Middletown is out near where I-66 ends at I-81.

It's about 70 miles just from the Beltway to I-81....sounds like a tough one, especially in the Friday PM rush.

PS: There's a MiddleBURG in Northern Virginia also....that one wouldn't be much easier.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,658,480 times
Not to pry into your business but is it possible to modify the custody agreement so that she drives him to you on Fridays (she would be traveling against rush-hour traffic)? Then you could still drive him on Sundays since it wouldn't be rush hour. Or maybe you could arrange to meet somewhere in between.

I'm sorry to point this out, but since he's in high school, he may be participating in extracurriculars, sports, or social activities that keep him home for at least part of each weekend. So you may need to think about how you'll handle that. Sounds like it's going to be challenging for all of you in a lot of ways so I wish you luck in working out the details so you can continue to be a substantial part of his life. Whatever it takes to accomplish that hopefully in a civil way, will be worth it for both of you.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,658,480 times
Oh, looking again I see that you live in Frederick, not Chantilly, so she would run into rush hour traffic at some point. You may need to meet somewhere in between. Maybe then you could have dinner out with your son and drive home after the traffic has diminished. Since she's the one initiating the move it would seem fair for her to assume part of the responsibility for getting him to you.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 PM

993 posts, read 2,481,095 times
How about taking the ferry at Point-of-Rocks, MD?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 PM

14 posts, read 87,787 times
Its not that bad of a drive, just go up 340. A bit over a hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia