U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,352,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
So true. I came from the Inland Empire of So.Cal and I miss Los Albertos. I also miss In & Out and Fatburger. And Food 4 Less. Groceries out here in northern Virigina cost way too much. Even with their lower sales tax (5% vs. 7.75%) groceries are still costing me about $25% more than what I was paying back in Riverside, CA.
It depends on where you shop too. Forget Wegmans or Whole foods, have you tried the Korean Grocery stores like Grand Mart? They keep their prices are very reasonable

There's some discount food places, but you have to look out for them. In addition, I miss those scratch-and-dent grocery stores where they sell pallets of damaged products which are about 1% of the product are damaged a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:59 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,065,905 times
I don't know if this counts, but I miss the grocery stores back in Georgia. Why? Because I can't cook. In Georgia you could go to Winn Dixie and get hot food like fried catfish or fried chicken. I love catfish so I miss that.

Or better yet fried okra from Church's chicken. The Walmart by my old apartment made some pretty good okra but Church's was the best. Alas no okra for me here.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know if this counts, but I miss the grocery stores back in Georgia. Why? Because I can't cook. In Georgia you could go to Winn Dixie and get hot food like fried catfish or fried chicken. I love catfish so I miss that.

Or better yet fried okra from Church's chicken. The Walmart by my old apartment made some pretty good okra but Church's was the best. Alas no okra for me here.
Where do you live, maybe someone on the board can find you a place like that.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:17 PM

722 posts, read 1,753,242 times
I'm from Rhode Island, and I really miss the seafood. Clam cakes, clam chowder, snail salad, GOOD fish and chips...

My husband is from Montreal, and he misses the bagels. Montreal has fantastic bagels, NYC has nothing on them. I did not know this until I met my husband!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM

37 posts, read 98,252 times
I miss the Super "Carne Asada" Burritos from SUPER TAQUERILLA in San Jose on Tenth street, Absolutely the BEST. I also miss real chinese food from Lock Chun Restaurant in Santa Clara, Chow mein as they say on the West coast not Lo mein. Fresh, Hot and tasty in every bite with every item on the menu. But the absolute best are the Chili cheese dogs with onions from Der Wiener Schnitzel on the West coast. I know I always hit at least two of them up every time I go back home.
HMM... Life's guilty pleasures.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 PM

32 posts, read 64,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Over the weekend we had a party and we made some food from back home, and wondering if anyone else misses the food from back home? Back in Buffalo we always had Roast Beef and Weck (Kummelweck) at a famous bar called Anacones, and the horseradish was made in town. One of those and Beer would set you back $5-6.

What's the type of food you miss from back home? And where can you get that food in the DC metro area?
Mmmm! I haven't had one of these in a few years! I grew up in Buffalo. I am going to have to make my visiting family bring down sandwich materials now to make these.

I also miss the pizza from Buffalo.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM

2,671 posts, read 4,524,961 times
Roselyn's custard puffs (Indiana) and Graeter's ice cream (especially raspberry with dark chocolate chips) (Ohio). Worth every minute of aerobics to burn 'em off.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,557,527 times
I miss my grandmother's fried chicken!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 55,353 times
I'm from Texas and some of my family lives in Louisiana. I miss Tex-Mex (anyone know where we can get really good, authentic tamales during Christmas), Elgin sausage (we mostly find Italian sausage at the stores here - not much variety), Texas barbecue, true cajun food and Blue Bell ice cream.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstxex View Post
I'm from Texas and some of my family lives in Louisiana. I miss Tex-Mex (anyone know where we can get really good, authentic tamales during Christmas), Elgin sausage (we mostly find Italian sausage at the stores here - not much variety), Texas barbecue, true cajun food and Blue Bell ice cream.
I went to Texas for Business and I think the people are fantastic and very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia