Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I guess no one really understands that Gainesville is not a hot bed for hate crimes.
It's a hot bed for hot moms. You'll enjoy the scenery at Target on a Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 AM

190 posts, read 844,221 times
This morning's Washington Post (11-3-08) has an article in the Metro section about the racial diversity of the area. Prince William county, where Gainesville is located, is now the most racially diverse county in Northern Virginia with a 50% minority population. This 50% is pretty evenly distributed among the hispanic, asian, and black population.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

You're an Asian (woman, I assume) who is probably in a relationship w/ a white guy, so the pair that you're in is accepted (and encouraged) in American society. It you were w/ anyone who was brown or black (of if you were even an Asian dude dating a white chick), things would change dramatically.
Please don't be so presumptive. My boyfriend is half African American and Half Filippino.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
I honestly didn't think people who actually objected to interracial couples existed in VA. I'm hispanic and the wife is as white as a ghost and never had anybody even look at us wrong.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Please don't be so presumptive. My boyfriend is half African American and Half Filippino.
Oops, my bad

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM

482 posts, read 944,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
That's strange. Which State elected the first black governor?

Ok BARRY HUSSEIN
That has WHAT to do with the population of Virginia? Please don't patronize me.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 AM

93 posts, read 273,479 times
Default Racism ???

If you are worried about being the victim of a hate crime in Gainesville, I wouldn't. Hate crimes traditionally occur where there is an overwhelmingly white majority 65 - 75% (factual stats). And almost always a younger age set. I have seen hate crimes in the form of grafitti and vandalism and besides the obvious victim, the families of the suspects are often emotionally crippled to know that a family member comitted these crimes. They see themselves as failures and often never really recover. Victims with a positive attitude recover much quicker and almost always thrive afterwards.
Let me be clear, I am talking about property crimes only, not people crimes. I have no experience in Hate Crimes with an injured victim.

I live in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale - West Palm Beach area of Florida and for the most part, like most other places, I know who my neighbors are, some of them I hang out with and others I don't. Most are hispanic, some are white, some are black, some are Indian (both sikh and the other kind). And much like most other major Metro areas, Who has the time to get all raged up to commit a hate crime? I am moving to the DC area and I am betting that this is a busy area and I will be on the go most of the time. Leave those thoughts somewhere else. I'd hate to be wrong and something awful happen to you, but at the same time, look around and you will see that big city crime is rarely if ever hate based. And almost always opportunity based. I imagine NOVA will be no different. The true criminal mind is almost exclusively profit motivated (save for graffiti and vandalism).

Best of luck to you and wish me luck.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM

25 posts, read 95,388 times
If you are looking for diversity than you need to look into areas such as Manassas. The only problem is there are a lot of illegals in the area which causes many issues for the rest of the residents. Fairfax county....very well diverse in Herndon, Reston, Chantilly, Centreville. I would not consider Gainesville/Haymarket to be diverse. You can look up the profile and find that both areas are about 85% White and above. That should explain everthing.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoysite View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are planning to move to Gainesville in March, but I'm concerned about hate crimes if we go that far from DC. I'm white and my husband is brown. Do we have anything to fear, or is that area pretty socially liberal compared to the rest of Virginia?
Thanks,
Christa
You have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 PM

29 posts, read 66,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
Guys, I think the poster had a valid question. Virginia doesn't have a reputation for racial tolerance, so go easy on her, especially if you are not a person of color and have NO CONCEPT of racism.

Please and thank you!
exactly, VA does have rep for being racist. Thats exactly why i'm on this site; to see what people are saying about people of color in certain areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia