U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM

93 posts, read 239,046 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have always gotten good feedback from you folks regarding areas to live and such. As I get closer to my move, I have options in all three counties and I want to make sure I get my child into the best school district. Specifically, I am looking at properties in Bristow, Purcellville and Centreville. Elementary schools are my specific interest.

By the way, you Virginians should be applauded, you have some excellent school systems, much better than that which is offered in Florida. This by itself will make my move all the worthwhile.

Thank you all for you input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:13 AM

595 posts, read 2,097,169 times
You've already listed them from best to worst. You could probably put Manassas City in between Loudon and PWC. Florida schools are hideous; it won't be hard to beat them.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Without recalling your other posts, it should be said that the length of your daily commute for the breadwinner(s) is no small consideration. If the employer is located in Fairfax County or points east, Centerville would be the best choice based on relative ease of commute as well as the general reputation of county schools. Bristow and Purcellville might not be too horrendous if you don't have to cross the Potomac... or the employer offers flex-time.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
London Towne ES in Centreville has a sketchy rep....don't know if it's deserved or not.

This is hardly scientific, but I drive a school bus and have covered runs out of London Towne and the kids there don't seem any better or worse than those at other schools in the area.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 PM

93 posts, read 239,046 times
Default School Districts

Thank you all for your input. I will be working in Chantilly at the intersection rte 28 and 50. I am already leaning toward Loudon but a trip may be the only way to know for sure. Look for some more qestions from me in the future.

Thank you again.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 AM

204 posts, read 590,731 times
Reiliz - I live in Bristow now for 9 years and have 2 children in elementary. I lived in Centreville before I had children. I'll be happy to post answers to any specific questions you have about the area.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM

51 posts, read 178,947 times
Default Question for KathyR

KathyR

Since you are a long time Bristow's resident, I hope you can help us here. We currently live in MD. My husband's office will be relocated to ChinaTown, DC in the next few months. We are looking at SFH in Bristow and Manassas and can't decide whether which one is better.

There has been a discussion on New Bristow Villege and its lower housing price compared with those off Linton Hall Rd. I have 2 kids (4 and 2) who will enter an elementary school very soon, so we want the best public school for them wherever we can afford to live. Some said that kids in New Bristow Villege have to bus into Manassas, which there seemed to be a negative view on that city.

Let me get to my questions to you below.
1) What do you think is a better elementary school: Bristow (Cedar Pt ES) or Manassas (Ellis ES)? Or please suggest if you know a better school in those areas.
2) Where is a better place to live in Bristow and which subdivision if you can be specific? We are looking for a SFH (400K-500K), anything not older than 5-yr old.
3) We always avoid HOA, but it seems that we can't do that in NoVA. Which subdivision is HOA friendly?

Sorry for too many questions. We just don't know anything about the area and want to do a thorough research before we move.

Your advices will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times
Worldtraveler23,

I can't comment on the quality of the schools in Bristow, but am just wondering if you have taken your husband's commute into consideration? Bristow to ChinaTown would be a horrendous commute in my opinion - at least 1 hour long, probably closer to 1 1/2 hours each way. I know everyone has their priorities, and if having a home that is under 5 years (for $400K to $500K) is your priority then I guess you will have to live far out. Personally, the quality of life as a result of that commute would negate any advantages of living in a new home, for me anyway. Why not consider an older home closer in? Most do not have HOAs and your husband wouldn't have as long a commute. And while I'm at it, the schools in Fairfax County will probably be better, too. (Of course I may be biased as I live in an older house and have a child in Fairfax County schools, so this is my opinion only). My husband works in Manassas and commutes from Vienna which is a reverse commute and it takes him about 40 minutes. But the traffic the other way? SO MUCH WORSE!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM

73 posts, read 221,784 times
It is a heck of a commute from Manassas/Bristow to DC. I see the back-up every morning when I drive over 95 -- if you can live closer do so. Pr. Wm. elementary schools are ok (except for the math program but Fairfax has something similar). I would make sure I buy a house with a decent middle school because it is the weak link in the PWC.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,649,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
It is a heck of a commute from Manassas/Bristow to DC. I see the back-up every morning when I drive over 95 -- if you can live closer do so. Pr. Wm. elementary schools are ok (except for the math program but Fairfax has something similar). I would make sure I buy a house with a decent middle school because it is the weak link in the PWC.
Fairfax has something similar? Not if you are referring to Math Investigations that PW is using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or