Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM

85 posts, read 249,900 times

Advertisements

Does anyone commute from either Ashburn to Falls Church or from Haymarket/Gainesville area to Falls Church? Just wondering about the commute - how long on a good day, how long on a bad day? Average day?

Thanks and sorry to ask again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,498 times
Hi,Let me get this started; I didn't have that specific commute, but I know those routes fairly well. If you have quick access to 66 in Gainesville, then I think you'll have a typical commute averaging one hour plus or minus 15 minutes. 66 is initially quite reasonable heading into DC, but bottlenecks close to the beltway (495) and then turns into HOV (you have to exit and find another route unless you are carpooling). In any case, for the DC area the commute is "reasonable" and "average" although some will tell you to live closer to your job just for quality of life.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Thank you Blossom for responding! Right now my husband commutes from Millersville, MD (just south of Annapolis) to Falls Church. On a good day - usually in the morning only, it only takes about 50 minutes. The coming home is what is a gamble. It's taken him up to 2 1/2 hours on more than one occasion and this is only his second week of working there.

Soo...I'm basically thinking it's not worth it and would like to find someplace similar to where I now but closer to his work. I've read good things about Haymarket/Gainesville and also about Ashburn. The schools are my number one concern, with a newer house being close behind (live in an old house now and just plain sick of the upkeep....

Any other advice is welcome! And thanks again for the response!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 PM

446 posts, read 1,648,056 times
I could never do the Gainesville-Falls Ch. commute....just too far. On a good day, with no weather and no crazy mess, I guess you could do it in 60-75 mins....but I guess I would ask why.... Different strokes for different folks of course, but no house could convince me to sit in that commute day in day out. So this might be kind of like politics, everyone is different....lol. I'm clearly on the side of getting creative and finding some way to live closer in--even Centreville would be better. Get yourself across the Fairfax Co. line at least. Best of luck to you!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 AM

Thanks - didn't realize the commute was so far. I'm looking into Centreville but what about Ashburn? I know there's a pretty expensive toll road, but is isn't there an alternate route or is that also a long drive - mapquest said 40 minutes but that doesn't take into account traffic.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,498 times
I also love North Arlington, but prices have gotten so high - my relative's modest colonial (lovely, but not too big - they sold it 10+ years ago) is now worth a million dollars. Gainesville *is* very nice and you get a lot of house; Haymarket is similar. But maybe you could map your husband's job location and then start looking at what neighborhoods are closer. What is your criteria?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 AM

My number one concern in finding a new home is the school system. We're lucky to have a top rate school system here (which makes it very difficult to leave). So that would be number one on my list. Second is the house itself - I live in an older house now (4 bdrm colonial) and while the size is fine, I'd much rather have a newer house. Frankly, we're just plain tired of dealing with upkeep (sewage backup - needed new pipes underground, electric work not the best, etc). We'd rather not have to put a lot of work into a house next time. Our price range would be somewhere up to 650K but would prefer closer to 600K. Next fall we'll have 1 child in each type of school (elem, middle and high), so we need an area family friendly with sports programs nearby.

I would say about a 45 minute commute would be the max otherwise not really worth moving. And I do prefer to have everything close by - shopping, restaurants, etc.

I think that covers it!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM

12 posts, read 108,756 times
We moved to Ashburn from the Midwest. The schools here have great reputations, and that was our top priority in relocation. I am sure you can find a nice home in your price range. The community seems well kept and everything is new. I drive to Falls Church occassionally in the early morning (0600). It takes roughly 45 mins. I take the toll road so the traffic moves. I have also made this trip at 0900 and 1000. The 0900 is the worst. The traffice can be thick. Good luck with your house hunt.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks Lewlo! If you happen to read this post again, I was wondering how the ride home from Falls Church. My husband can leave for work as early as 5:30 or 6am and then head back home as early as 3:30 or 4. Is the commute home at that time horrible?

So you like Ashburn???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia