Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 32,870 times

Advertisements

Lake Ridge has the reputation of having the better schools in Woodbridge. You should have no problem finding something under $300,000. Although as a previous poster mentioned, if you are looking for new, that will get you a very nice townhome or an older SFH. I live in Port Potomac which is a new development in Woodbridge and I love it. The community has both an indoor, outdoor pool (which my 2yr loves), a gym, tennis courts, basketball courts and it is only a few minute drive from the new Wegmans and new development of upscale stores that is under construction. Right now you can find a luxury townhome at $300,000 at Port Potomac. There is also Potomac Club which is a gated community that has a lot of amenities to include a climbing wall where you can probably find a Townhome for just under $300,000. This one is actually next to the Wegmans and it is and area that it looks like it is turning out to be very nice. However, what I have heard about the schools around here is that they are okay. They probably don't get the excellent rating, but as a previous poster mentioned, Northern VA ranks higher than most of the country.

Luisa Rodriguez

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-22-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,934 times
Check out the Bristow area west/northwest of Bull Run off of Sudley Manor. Not sure you will find the price of house you are looking for, but it is a nice area, and the houses are big.

Dale City is suspect too. I would lean more towards Montclair.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 AM

218 posts, read 547,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisaREA View Post
Lake Ridge has the reputation of having the better schools in Woodbridge. You should have no problem finding something under $300,000. Although as a previous poster mentioned, if you are looking for new, that will get you a very nice townhome or an older SFH. I live in Port Potomac which is a new development in Woodbridge and I love it. The community has both an indoor, outdoor pool (which my 2yr loves), a gym, tennis courts, basketball courts and it is only a few minute drive from the new Wegmans and new development of upscale stores that is under construction. Right now you can find a luxury townhome at $300,000 at Port Potomac. There is also Potomac Club which is a gated community that has a lot of amenities to include a climbing wall where you can probably find a Townhome for just under $300,000. This one is actually next to the Wegmans and it is and area that it looks like it is turning out to be very nice. However, what I have heard about the schools around here is that they are okay. They probably don't get the excellent rating, but as a previous poster mentioned, Northern VA ranks higher than most of the country.

Luisa Rodriguez
Swan Creek whihc is locate din Soutbridge area...further south of Port Potomac, has received the School of Excellence awards several times in the past 6 years.

Prince William county public school website is a good source o get information on school ratings.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-08-2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: edited out advertising link in quote

Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
I am purchasing a house in Kettler Forlines homes off 1 North. How is that area?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM

84 posts, read 276,025 times
Not sure I've ever encountered a "language barrier" in any stores here. Where are you coming from that had a language barrier?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,933 times
No, No, and No.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM

73 posts, read 248,467 times
For schools, I would look toward the middle schools instead of the elementary (which one you will be zoned to). Most of the middle schools are weak. Don't assume that just because they won an "award" that the school is great unless you are in the school regularly -- you don't know what is really going on. I would definitely look at their scores and compare the schools. High schools you can get out of your boundary by going with a specialty program.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
For schools, I would look toward the middle schools instead of the elementary (which one you will be zoned to). Most of the middle schools are weak. Don't assume that just because they won an "award" that the school is great unless you are in the school regularly -- you don't know what is really going on. I would definitely look at their scores and compare the schools. High schools you can get out of your boundary by going with a specialty program.
I second this opinion. As someone who many years ago moved into a great zone for an elementary school, my address SUCKS for middle and high schools. Oh, how I wish I had done my homework.

I would say that 99% of the elementary schools in PWC are pretty darn good. They do a great job.

I know it seems hard to imagine that your child will be in middle school but before you know it, the time is here, and you can't get out of your house. I would look at middle schools and high schools.

And, yes, for PWC you can transfer out of your zoned or base high school but you will have to apply to a program that you might not be interested in just to get into the high school you want. For instance, if you want to attend Woodbridge High School, you will have to become part of their fine arts program and take fine arts courses in order to go there. The transportation to and from can also be an issue, especially if both parents work. If you attend a high school out of your zone, you will have to go to an express bus stop and get the bus there, which means you will need to be driven to the stop. This was a hardship on our family as we were both out of the house prior to the pick up for the express stop.

I should have REALLY done a better job when I moved but my daughter was 3.5 at the time and high school was not on my brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia