Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking of taking a job in DC. I lived in Alexandria (right across from the Huntington Metro) for four years from 2000-2004. Anyway, I need to find a place that is close to shopping and walkable to the the metro because I have an eye disease and cannot drive. My potential job is near the Foggy Bottom metro. I can spend up to $600,000 and am looking for a condominium or townhouse. Can anyone recommend some good areas that will accomodate my needs?

Thanks, Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
I suppose I'd check first in the Ballston Corridor...so much is packed in there that most things are walkable from anywhere. There are four Metro stops right along the main drag (Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon, and Court House), and any of them would have you in Foggy Bottom within 15 minutes or so.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
What Saganista said.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

73 posts, read 281,282 times
Agree with saganista. If you want to live near shops/grocery store, I would look in Clarendon. The clarendon shops and whole foods is right there. You also def. want to live on the orange line, since foggy bottom is on the orange line.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Foggy Bottom is on the Blue Line too. Not too many living choices near Arlington Cemetary and National Airport. Pentagon is not recommended for walkability.

Pentagon City has lots of condos within walking distance. It has a big Mall and several strip malls with grocery stores etc.

The Old Town Alexandria stops of Braddock Road and King Street have some very nice living areas that might be (just) within your price range and the area is known for its very pleasant walkability with loads of shops and restaurants. Old Town is a very pretty area with a harbor at the end of King Street. There's even a free shuttle bus that runs up and down King Street to the Metro station.

There are shops and apartments and condos within walking distance of the Van Dorn metro stop. However, the area is slightly dodgy. In addition to being somewhat ominous at night, you have to play dodgem with traffic along Van Dorn when crossing over to go to the metro.

Franconia-Springfield has the Mall and associated shops but not really any grocery stores within easy walking distance though bus service is available.

If you are willing to settle (as I did) for an area not within walking distance of a metro station but with lots of frequent bus service that will take you to the metro, then your options expand considerably. There are lots of nice walkable neighborhoods with easy walking distance to shopping, theaters etc. and good bus service links. Check schedules and make sure that you have 24/7 buses on your route, as some of them only run M-F rush hour only. I have the same concerns as you. I rented a hotel room for a month and researched the area thoroughly as well as visit my top choices in a day and night time setting. That worked out well and I have been very happy in my choice.

Last edited by ersatz; 11-11-2008 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia