Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
You must not get around much. Of course they do. But to them its not an "accent" . Are you saying that they sound like Yankees?

Lol. Some of the deepest drawls actually come from Fredericksburg- sometimes I hear more real Virginians in F'burg than in Richmond!

Anyways, I digress. I'm a native of Northern Virginia and I have been told by Northerners and Southerners a like that I have a Southern "accent". I take it as a compliment!
Get around more than you do. Ever step out of your "Richmond is the second coming of Gone With the Wind" bubble? You need a crash course in 2009. All this "Yankee" bs is garbage.

I had a friend from Spotsylvania, and she didn't have anything resembling a Southern accent. And honestly, what gives what you sound like -- honestly?

I'm not doubting that there isn't a Southern accent in Fredericksburg. I'm sure there is, but it would be more Tidewater than anything. Which is very subtle. And very questionable to be put in the "Southern" category, especially in that part of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM

15 posts, read 43,453 times
Nothing wrong with southern accents! (kind of wished i had one myself) . Just saying you wont find any native NOVA residents with one (while in almost any other part of va u can find them). Just find that interesting....

Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,692,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Get around more than you do. Ever step out of your "Richmond is the second coming of Gone With the Wind" bubble? You need a crash course in 2009. All this "Yankee" bs is garbage.

I had a friend from Spotsylvania, and she didn't have anything resembling a Southern accent. And honestly, what gives what you sound like -- honestly?

I'm not doubting that there isn't a Southern accent in Fredericksburg. I'm sure there is, but it would be more Tidewater than anything. Which is very subtle. And very questionable to be put in the "Southern" category, especially in that part of Virginia.
I wasnt trying to be rude, and theres no need for you to be either.

Yes of course Tidewater is a very distinct type of accent in Virginia, but IT IS Southern. I know lots of people in Fredericksburg.

I grew up in Loudoun County, and I have a soft southern drawl. Its nothing like down in Alabammy. Im not talking about that, because you know there are at least hundreds of different dialects in the South.

I was just respsonding to your comment about no Southern acccents at all in F'burg or NOVA.

And if you the Virginia Tidewater accent is subtle, listen to my Richmond grandmother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOie0dTeEw

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,692,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayX View Post
Nothing wrong with southern accents! (kind of wished i had one myself) . Just saying you wont find any native NOVA residents with one (while in almost any other part of va u can find them). Just find that interesting....
Thats not true. The natives did have one. But there are no natives left, lol

Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 43,453 times
haha--true true!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,964 times
I live in F-burg and to me, whether or not Virginia is southern or not depends on which side of Richmond your on. The southern part is cotton-growing rebel territory. But northern Virgina has most of the people who commute to DC and interact with, and begin to act like, people from further north. Also the further from 95 you go, the thicker the drawl.

Last edited by dave61; 03-28-2009 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,781,982 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Thats not true. The natives did have one. But there are no natives left, lol
Quote:
haha--true true!
Haha...i was just thinking "what natives?" LOL

Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 AM

13 posts, read 63,497 times
Default "The South"

East of Va. Beach is the Atlantic Ocean. I grew up in MS. My history books taught us the capital of the south during the Civil war was Birmingham, AL. I was 14 years old before the city of Richmond was ever mentioned in American history lessons. Technically Virginia is south of the Mason/Dixon line, so therefore part of the south. I've now lived in VA for 13 years and haven't met anyone with a southern accent, just country drawls. People that live south of Interstate 10 (which runs from Yuma, AZ. to Jacksonville, Fla.) will tell you anyone north of I-10 is a "Yankee".

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,229,457 times
DC and parts of Maryland are south of the Mason Dixon line. I think the South has moved steadily South since at least the '60s. DC used to be considered a Southern city and was racially segregated. Now I'd say the South starts outside of where folks normally commute to DC and NoVA from (South and West). Inside of that, it feels pretty much like Southern California.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times
I think virginia is part of the south. I really think Virginia beach has a nice charm, I enjoyed Williamsburg alot. Charlottesville and Roanoke are nice communities. It doesnt have the same feel as some of the lower southern states like Georgia,Tennessee,Alabama ect.. It does have very good history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia