U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM

631 posts, read 1,137,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am not a guy. Is it all right for a lady to answer that question? Sorry, but I despise the "you guys" phrase. A guy is a grotesque person.

Virginia is just as much the South as any other Southern State. Things are changing everywhere and I am not in the opinion that it is for the better, but it is different.

does that make a gal a grotesque person too? just wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM

631 posts, read 1,137,968 times
Virginia is the south, always has been always will be. The culture may be more northern in nova but the state is and will always be part of the south. Cities are sure to grow and people are sure to change but imo nothing can suddenly make virginia a "northern" state

Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,050 times
I'm originally from the deep south...Mississippi. We view anyone who lives above South Carolina with suspicion.

I think Richmond still has sort of a southern feel to it. But NOVA is as Yankee as Boston. That's not a criticism. Just the way it is.

Geographically, Virginia is a mid-Atlantic state. Culturally, it's split. NOVA is nothing like the rest of Virginia.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM

56 posts, read 80,727 times
Just drive your car. The Virginia "welcome" center on 95 is not until you cross the Rappahannock On 66 you have to wait until you get out of Fairfax County into Prince William.

Northern Virgina and Tidewater are definitely different culturally from the rest of the state.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,050 times
Quote:
Southerners are simple-minded people who don't value education and are anti-intellectual, that's why they're still so poor and ignorant. Yet, they still vote Republican against their own economic interests (Repubs hate the poor working-classes) because of deep-seated racism and bigotry.
Wow. Just read this. I would love to compare education and income levels with you. But that would be tacky, so I won't.

I assure you that there are plenty of well-educated and successful people living in the south.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Wow. Just read this. I would love to compare education and income levels with you. But that would be tacky, so I won't.

I assure you that there are plenty of well-educated and successful people living in the south.
Don't let them get your goat. For some bizarre reason the "Is Nova North or South" threads show up every time the kids are on break from school. We've had this poor old dead horse beaten at least 5-6 times now. The kids think it's funny to see if they can start a fight.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,983 times
Not anymore, sadly. NoVA is now firmly a part of the Northeastern megalopolis hive of ick. These days I feel like if I were to pinwheel my arms while standing outside, I'd be lucky to hit just five or fewer people. A more likely (and nightmare-inducing) scenario is that fifty random vehicles would make scrapple outta me. Possibly even carcinogenic scrapple.

Last time my SO and I went town to Fredericksburg, my migraine gradually eased as we got further and further from the Mid-Atlantic proper. By the time I uttered my final "Are we out yet?", I was feeling a *lot* better.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 03-31-2010 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
I think of Virginia as a southern state as a whole, but Northern Virginia (the suburbs of DC) as the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,287,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
Just drive your car. The Virginia "welcome" center on 95 is not until you cross the Rappahannock On 66 you have to wait until you get out of Fairfax County into Prince William.

Northern Virgina and Tidewater are definitely different culturally from the rest of the state.
Northern Virginia, no-brainer different from the rest of Virginia.

Tidewater (my native stomping gorund), not so fast. Tidewater is laid-back blue-collar like the rest of VA. Has a slave/confederate history like Richmond.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,133 posts, read 3,417,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
But NOVA is as Yankee as Boston.
I'm from Boston, and it's not quite as Northern down here. If you called a road in Massachusetts "Jefferson Davis Highway", some angry feminist with unshaved armpits would be on the roadside night and day with a sign protesting and screaming at oncoming traffic. x10 for "Lee Highway".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or