U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
^ Never said that Virginia, or Northern Virginia in particular, denied their history. And I personally think that the south-of-Fredericksburg, across-the-Rappahannock is a big load.
Didn't direct that at you. Some people think cause Notherners are primarily hear that there is some lack of historical pride or some load like that.

Hmmm, you really don't count the Rappahanock barrier? Where do you think it starts if you want to head to the south of NOVA.

Naturally anything west of the Shenendoah is whole nother world as far as I am concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,237,527 times
Yes and No. It was definitely part of the Old South. Now I consider it Mid-Atlantic. Richmond is where the South starts, IMO.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM

657 posts, read 1,311,843 times
So the South starts at Richmond.

Regardless of where the culture border lies in Virginia, NoVa and the DC area represent everything the South is NOT: international in character, highly educated, extremely wealthy, mass transit friendly, culturally liberal, open-minded, not overly religious, politically Democratic...

With all these obvious facets that characterize Northern Virginia only deepening in influence, isn't it rather odd that we're actually having this debate as to whether this is the South?

It's not...

Last edited by back2dc; 02-09-2009 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM

[quote=back2dc;7396542]So the South starts at Richmond.

Regardless of where the culture border lies in Virginia, NoVa and the DC area represent everything the South is NOT: international in character, highly educated, extremely wealthy, mass transit friendly, culturally liberal, open-minded, not overly religious, politically Democratic...

With all these obvious facets that characterize Northern Virginia only deepening in influence, isn't it rather odd that we're actually having this debate as to whether this is the South?

It's not...[/quote

With the exception of Arlington and the immediate DC area. NOVA is hardly international at all in character. Loudoun/Fauquier County. Horse Country and of course Oatlands Plantation.

And please don't throw those other things in either. You can be educated and from the South. I can't believe you actually classify which as being Southern.

To me The South: Refined, Genteelity, Respectability, Sweet Tea, Attractive Women, etc

I guess NOVA really isnt that anymore. Oh well.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Virginia while technically is a southern state, it's more of a grey area IMO. Which makes sense. I mean, I live outside of Richmond and it takes me 3 1/2-4 hours to make it to the NJ state line. While, if I visit family in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, it takes me more like 12-14 hours.

The weather and climate of VA is closer to the climate of NJ than it is most of the south. I know the first year I moved here I checked the weather in my hometown in NJ against VA weather and it was no more than 5 degrees warmer in VA on most days in the winter. It does get hotter and more muggy in the summer in VA and that is when it feels more southern.

It's funny because my northern relatives absolutely consider VA to be the south.
My southern relatives and inlaws are sprinkled around Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennesse and they do NOT consider VA the south. The only part they will agree is the south is the southwestern part of VA by the Tennessee state line. My inlaws were just visiting here from Florida and commenting about everything from the weather, the architechture of the homes, the types of plants, the drivers, the roads and constantly saying "up north" when referring to VA.

It does make sense that as one gets closer to the mason-dixon line, it is going to become less southern. I call VA "southern light". I like living in VA. I could never, ever, ever live in the deep south again.
Virginia is much more Southern than Florida on any day of the week. I DO NOT consider Florida the South.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM

657 posts, read 1,311,843 times
[quote=Richmonder27;7396667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

It's not...[/quote

With the exception of Arlington and the immediate DC area. NOVA is hardly international at all in character. Loudoun/Fauquier County. Horse Country and of course Oatlands Plantation.

And please don't throw those other things in either. You can be educated and from the South. I can't believe you actually classify which as being Southern.

To me The South: Refined, Genteelity, Respectability, Sweet Tea, Attractive Women, etc

I guess NOVA really isnt that anymore. Oh well.
Southern women are not attractive: too much make-up, fast-food diets, obesity and Wal-Mart fashion do not a pretty woman make.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM

[quote=back2dc;7397305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post

Southern women are not attractive: too much make-up, fast-food diets, obesity and Wal-Mart fashion do not a pretty woman make.
\

Wal Mart? Thats Country, not Southern

What is your idea of Southern? Yokels? You can find plenty of that in Western Mass and Upstate New York

Although there are similarities, Southern and Rural are not the same thing.

The further South you go the better lookin' the women get. Do you think those high fashion models are really from NY? LA? Nope, they are from small towns in Alabama or Virginia.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM

542 posts, read 1,289,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

It's not...
You represent everything DC wants to be, and a textbook example of what bitterness & willful ignorance will do to one.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
You represent everything DC wants to be, and a textbook example of what bitterness & willful ignorance will do to one.
Shhhhhh.. Its best to let people like that live in their delusional little world, lol

Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Virginia is the 'gateway' to the north imo. Most certainly NOVA has a more northern feel than anywhere because of DC. While the Hampton Roads area is southern (you can buy sweet tea here - yes!) it feels less southern imo than even Richmond. The more influx to an area the less southern it feels. Southern Florida is a perfect example.
What do you mean "even" Richmond. Richmond is much more Southern than Atlanta, Charlotte or Nashville. Richmond is much more in tune with Charleston and Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or