Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,546,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Northern VA people have all the southern charm of the nice folks in Newark NJ.

The majority of the population of Newark probably has southern roots (not the Portugese newcomers, of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM

513 posts, read 960,627 times
Here is the test. You can ride around south of Fredricksburg with a confederate flag on your truck and nobody will say anything. Do that in Northern Va, you will be looked like a member of the Klan.

Northern Va is North, fredricksburg is the south.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM

416 posts, read 712,298 times
List of mid-Atlantic states:

New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

Source: U.S. Census

Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,527,102 times
The south starts at the Potomac river so yes, NoVa and rest of VA is southern.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,510,056 times
So I would ask...is Culpeper part of NOVA?

In the Culpeper museum the other day, I overheard a woman pointing to a Civil War battle map and telling her son (who was about 5)...this is Brandy Station where the Union came in and "attacked us". Interesting to hear the term "us" possibly applied to the Confederacy.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,224,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
(though I wonder which group of northerners we really have more of - northeasterners, midwesterners, or far westerners - I wont go by my own experiences, as my location inside the beltway, and the number of Jews in my social circle, distorts things).
Funny how if the place you're from wasn't part of the confederacy you're considered a Northerner. Being from the Far West I don't think of myself as Northern. I think the East West divide is as valid as the North South one.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,224,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
So I would ask...is Culpeper part of NOVA?

In the Culpeper museum the other day, I overheard a woman pointing to a Civil War battle map and telling her son (who was about 5)...this is Brandy Station where the Union came in and "attacked us". Interesting to hear the term "us" possibly applied to the Confederacy.
During the Civil War where I live in Mount Vernon was kind of a DMZ between Union and Confederate forces. Points further South from DC like Culpeper were definitely Confederate territory where the locals had Southern sympathies. My Culpeper ancestors who migrated to Kentucky and then Missouri around the time of the American Revolution ultimately sided with the Confederacy in Missouri during the Civil War. They took their Southernness West with them.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM

32,077 posts, read 34,645,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Funny how if the place you're from wasn't part of the confederacy you're considered a Northerner. Being from the Far West I don't think of myself as Northern. I think the East West divide is as valid as the North South one.
I've never heard anyone refer to someone from California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington as a "northerner." They were called "Westerners" or "West Coasters" (in the case of CA, OR, and WA). But never "northerner."

People from the Midwest are a bit different. On the EC, I think most people would call them "Midwesterners." But in the South, they may call them northern.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

eh. I suppose.

Historically though, SF was heavily northern in its settlement, IIUC, and its accent reflects that. Portland Oregon was named for Portland Maine (And was almost named Boston) though rural Oregon had a lot of midland settlement. Inland california and southern calif had more mixed settlement I think. The greater Mormon belt was pretty solidly "yankee" IIUC. There have of course been waves of subsequent migration, but other than the movement from Texas into new mexico in the latter 20th century, Im not sure any of them transformed the regional character to become more southern.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've never heard anyone refer to someone from California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington as a "northerner." They were called "Westerners" or "West Coasters" (in the case of CA, OR, and WA). But never "northerner."

People from the Midwest are a bit different. On the EC, I think most people would call them "Midwesterners." But in the South, they may call them northern.

When I lived in Jacksonville,Fl they definitely called folks from Ohio and Illinois northerners or yankees.

Folks from louisville, they werent quite sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia