U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM

84 posts, read 442,785 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's a NOVA thing, but just I don't see Virginia as being "The South" as most people think of it. I moved here from SoCal about two months ago and aside from the weather differences and the fact that everyone drives super slow here it really doesn't feel that much different. The people and social atmosphere feels very much the same. When I think of "The South" I typically think of places like Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

What do you guys think? Is it just because I live in northern Virginia? Are there other places of the state that have that fabled "Southern charm"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,348,256 times
Virginia is part of the Mid-Atlantic United States. One of the lower 48; one of the total 50 states.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 PM

595 posts, read 2,096,865 times
You will see the Southern Climate in July. The USMC has their jungle warfare training here for a reason--lots of humidity and heat, just like the jungles.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM

542 posts, read 1,285,263 times
Humidity's a problem all over the Eastern part of the US in the warmer months. As for Virginia, it's hard to put it in one or the other. In that sense, I consider it Mid-Atlantic, meaning that like Maryland, it is a mix of both cultures. Plus, Virginia & Maryland developed quicker than most of the Old South before and after the Civil War, so I think they were able to branch off and develop a distinct culture of their own. Able to adapt the "Northern" mannerisms, but still have the culture & history of the South, in other words.

Funny, since there are some people who consider Virginia as "southern-to-the-core". I wonder if they've ever been to the state or if they go by what they read in a history book about the Civil War and automatically assume.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
Maybe it's a NOVA thing, but just I don't see Virginia as being "The South" as most people think of it. I moved here from SoCal about two months ago and aside from the weather differences and the fact that everyone drives super slow here it really doesn't feel that much different. The people and social atmosphere feels very much the same. When I think of "The South" I typically think of places like Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

What do you guys think? Is it just because I live in northern Virginia? Are there other places of the state that have that fabled "Southern charm"?
I am not a guy. Is it all right for a lady to answer that question? Sorry, but I despise the "you guys" phrase. A guy is a grotesque person.

Virginia is just as much the South as any other Southern State. Things are changing everywhere and I am not in the opinion that it is for the better, but it is different.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 24,056 times
I moved here from the UK 2 years ago and Northern Virginia does not seem very Southern. I believe it is because this is the metro DC area, and there are lots of people living here who are either not from VA, or from Northern VA and have different sensibilities. As recognised by the voting results this month for the metro DC area - things are definitely changing due to the huge influx of people moving to the metro area. Personally I think it is great, I don't think I could live further south in VA.

PS - 'Guy' has not meant a 'grotesque' person in Britain for the past 100 years or so, and has never meant that in American English since Guy Fawkes has no meaning to Americans.

Last edited by stellamarbella; 11-17-2008 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: 'guys'

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 PM

278 posts, read 457,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamarbella View Post
I moved here from the UK 2 years ago and Northern Virginia does not seem very Southern. I believe it is because this is the metro DC area, and there are lots of people living here who are either not from VA, or from Northern VA and have different sensibilities. As recognised by the voting results this month for the metro DC area - things are definitely changing due to the huge influx of people moving to the metro area. Personally I think it is great, I don't think I could live further south in VA.

PS - 'Guy' has not meant a 'grotesque' person in Britain for the past 100 years or so, and has never meant that in American English since Guy Fawkes has no meaning to Americans.
I lived in Vienna and Falls Church from '77 - '96. It's not the south.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
To me, the more urbanized areas in Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William have more of a national if not international flavor, to the possible dismay of some residents who may have been fond of their Southern roots. I think that as one heads further west in Loudoun, west by southwest in PW, and south in general towards Stafford County, the Southern flavor returns. Certainly by the time you've reached Fredericksburg, you're in the South.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 AM

16,824 posts, read 8,660,562 times
Yes. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and was the centerpiece of Lee's Army during the Civil War. The "Army of Northern Virginia".

Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,822,183 times
It's a mid Atlantic State, south of the Mason Dixon. A State of Southern persuasion as you travel south in Virginia. And as Pilot stated "Yes. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and was the centerpiece of Lee's Army during the Civil War. The "Army of Northern Virginia".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or