U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM

15 posts, read 35,315 times

Advertisements

"Hello! Please bring Elgin Sausage, TexMex and BBQ sauce! Plus Bluebell!

We just moved from Austin (Cedar Park) to Burke in August."

YES! Those would be notable items to miss dearly. Should we come that way, we will come well stocked!

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,130,046 times
I would not choose Reston for a family. Schools are not good, and the crime rate is somewhat higher than the other areas. Also the Reston homeowners association is rather strict about what you can do to your home. Oakton and Vienna are largely free of HOA's and the schools are much better, in the event that you ever want to consider a public school. Vienna is real town, with a downtown, an historic district, and town services. I highly recommend it for a family.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM

25 posts, read 73,411 times
I've actually lived in both NOVA and Austin. (My 2 favorite places I've ever lived) Things may be different but there are some similarities. Like some mention, commuting will be much different, unless you commute up or down I-35 right now. Gotta give yourself lots more time. The area is geographically gigantic, but shares with Austin the love for fitness (lots of parks, bike trails and running trails). Neighborhood streets are a lot more confusing and curvy. Culturally, NOVA is a huge melting pot of cultures from all over the world, as opposed to Austin which more mexican-influenced. (Tons of hispanics in VA, but you'll see a lot more nationalities, especially from central america)
Like Denton56 I highly recommend Vienna! Great school system, wonderful neighborhoods. Reston would be decent commute up the Dulles access road, and you'd still be near the Fairfax commercial area.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

20 posts, read 55,394 times
Just another note: the weather here is NOTHING like Austin. If you are moving anytime soon, have your winter clothes, hat, coat, gloves, scarf and boots ready to wear. We moved here in August from Austin (lived there 20+ years and Dallas before that and Austin is the only place my children have lived). My youngest (11) commented that October weather was like winter in Austin!And from my perspective, NOVA is not anything like Austin. Now, I love living here. There is lots to do. We love the proximity to American history sites, political activities, and the diversity. It is very "green-thinking" here - more so than in Austin. There are many more commuter options - there must be - traffic is MUCH worse here (even if you have commuted on I-35 like I did for years). We love the schools that our children attend. The neighborhood is good. But, the people here are not like home-grown Texans. So, if you do move here, come with an open mind. It is a great place and you can love it - but, don't try to compare it to Austin or find an "Austin-lite" town...it won't happen for you and you will be disappointed before you start living and having fun here.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 16,386 times
In addition to Vienna and Oakton, I would also look around parts of McLean. Commuting to Herndon from McLean would be going against rush hour traffic, and the neighborhoods and homes are spectacular.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,638,408 times
I've traveled a bit (not too much) in Texas, and didn't think there was anywhere else in Texas quite like Austin! So I wouldn't expect to find something too similar in NoVa, though hopefully you'll find some place you like.

I would second (or third) those who have suggested that you consider Vienna if you or your spouse will be working in Tysons or Herndon, want a family-friendly environment and can spend spend 600,000 to 900,000 on a house. Much of Fairfax County seems like one giant suburb, but Vienna (and the town of Falls Church) have a "town within the burb) feel that is quite appealing, as well as quite a range of housing styles. Parts of Vienna feel like a small town in New England, while other parts (outside the town, in the county) are similar to McLean or Great Falls.

With respect to the other poster, I cannot see any reason to consider McLean compared to Vienna or Falls Church if you do not anticipate commuting to DC on a regular basis. Unless you have well over a million to spend on a house, you will get a smaller house and lot in McLean, the commute to Tysons/Herndon will be considerably longer. In addition, a higher percentage of your neighbors in McLean are very busy professionals who commute into DC and tend to be a bit status-conscious. The schools there are excellent, but so too are the Vienna-area schools.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 AM

15 posts, read 35,315 times
Default Thanks for all the helpful replies

I so appreciate the posts of very informative info. Looks like Vienna would be a great match and we will certainly view the other areas mentioned when we head out that way for a look/see.

Thanks to all.

Best,
Dana

Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 PM

993 posts, read 2,193,900 times
Good luck. Vienna is nice, and affluent.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 27,421 times
Oakton is a great area...great schools and plenty of outdoors stuff...we actually live accross from Flint Hill school (one of the best in the area) and one mile from metro....hey, we're planning to sell our house ($460k)....let me know if you're interested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia