U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM

22 posts, read 40,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
This attitude might be why no one is interested. I dont mean any disrespect to you but It is an ignorant assumption on your part to think that this is the attitude that I demonstrate when appling for a job or interviewing with someone.Also, I don't see what your thread title has to do with your question has to do with your questions/comments.This is what we in the industry like to call "a tickler heading" its meant to get you curious and read the rest and I can see it worked . Furthermore if you do want to relate it to my thread then Can you think about a moment in your life that some one has done something or has said something that you thought they had to be pulling your leg? You felt punked right? The same way someone feels when they apply to tons of jobs that they qualify for and sometimes are over qualified for and nothing. And if you do believe in God, maybe showing some respect and asking him for some guidance might do the trick. Yes I do have the up most respect for God or as I like to call him by his proper name Allah. We Muslims make dua at the end of our prayers five times a day. This is the moment that we ask him for guidance and for whatever else is on our minds. I applaud you for having so much faith we n=must remember that no matter what happens in our life's before we go crazy knocking on everybody's door the first one we should always knock on is his and i do ,Believe me I Do . JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
This attitude might be why no one is interested. Also, I don't see what your thread title has to do with your question/comments. And if you do believe in God, maybe showing some respect and asking him for some guidance might do the trick. JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickednoodle View Post
I agree with the above poster. Shouting at people I am sorry if you mistook frustration with shouting.- not to mention all the spelling and grammatical errors Again not correcting the mistakes purposely is a sign another way of sending the message to the reader that I am frustrated and as you can see from the replies everyone got that but you. I am sorry if you misunderstood me. - is not the way to entice someone to hire you.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Yes, God should definitely be uppercase, but Miami wouldn't it be Allah in your case?

Yes, In my case it is Allah ( see one of my previous responses ). The reason that I did not capitalize god is because around the world people have different gods. For example god can be gods as in the case of some
polytheistic religions. That is why us Muslims say Allah and not god. When we Muslims say Allah we are referring to the same God of Adam, Moses, Abraham and Jesus (alayhum asalatu wa salm). That is why we call him by his proper name Allah which can not be plural. I am sorry if I offended anyone by not capitalizing GOD that is why in my thread subject I put (astghferAllah).

Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Good evening ... driving home, I have had more thoughts. One item does touch on attitude. No matter how you feel inside, when you go out to talk to people, paste a big bright beautiful smile on your face. Keep it there till you close the door behind you at night. Look around the area where you live -- any help-wanted signs in stores/businesses? If not, you could go in and inquire anyway, with your letter-perfect resume and your bright smile. The last thing to do as you thank them for their time, ask if they know anyone you might contact. Any hotels or caterers where you could work as a server for events? I know job hunting is so discouraging. Richard Bolles' book What Color Is Your Parachute? is a big help for both ideas and attitude. You will find a wealth of information in your local library.
First of all thank you for taking the time to think about my problem and to reply. I do show a positive attitude when I am out there hunting or "networking". I love "What color is your parachute", another personal favorite of mine is "Do what you are " by Tieger & Barron.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
I must say that I am a bit surprised as I'm sure some of the other posters are with the attitude in this post. I feel badly for anyone who is unemployed right now--it is not a fun spot to be in. But attitude truly is everything and as someone stated earlier, make looking for a job your job right now. It sounds like you may have some childcare concerns, so use the Internet to the best of your ability. DC is a great place to find work--but you have to know what to do. Temp agencies are a great way to go.

I also wonder if maybe you should seek some kind of counseling. It sounds like there may be some areas of your life that really aren't working out for you right now and maybe speaking with a therapist could help. It's just a thought. Either way I wish you the best of luck but please, please keep your head up high because no one wants to hire a negative person.
Thank you for your concern, My only child care issue is that I prefer to work at home but that would be in a perfect world I am willing to take anything that comes along .

I have one week to go to come up with my rent money or we could be evicted as early as the first week of December . Honestly my only problem is I need a JOB a.s.a.p.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
If you guys are citizens and speak Farsi or Arabic (I'm just guessing here since you mentioned bilingual) the U.S. government should have some jobs available. Especially if you've done office work. But just be warned, it can take a long time to get hired and to get a clearance.
My husband speaks Arabic and I speak Spanish. We are also trying that route . We have also gotten a hold of some companies that hire freelance workers in the meantime for interpretation and translating.
My husband is a citizen and I am a gc holder.
Thanks.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Small update

I went on 2 interviews this past Thursday I know I qualified for both . I made a really good impression on the first one. The second one I could tell that I would not fit in and I doubt they really are going to call me back. I think maybe I was overly excited and that made me a little nervous and maybe affected me in the interview because it was sort of a dream job with a well known company. Also that office was not as diverse as the first one and I could tell the lady did not approve of my appearance with the hijab.(e.o.e. my foot) Any way both offices said that they are looking to fill the position with in the next 2 weeks and that they will let me know before then.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 PM

258 posts, read 769,949 times
Quote:
This attitude might be why no one is interested. Also, I don't see what your thread title has to do with your question/comments. And if you do believe in God, maybe showing some respect and asking him for some guidance might do the trick. JMHO
I agree with all PP posters- you've been posting quite a lot of same thread topics (seeking a job but interesting wording to i guess get a reaction) and I've gathered before even moving here- DH's severance package is running out- but you won't find me here posting expecting to find a job (especially as PP's have pointed out - not in a true "applicant" to be considered fashion). I know you don't like craigslist or washington post or whatever- but if your church can't help you (new here) - you really shouldn't expect a group of strangers on the web to have the magical answer..

No matter what, best of luck of course! Ideally, we'd all have great jobs and not be searching (as my husband is too)!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 AM
GMU

56 posts, read 505,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMuslimah View Post
This attitude might be why no one is interested. I dont mean any disrespect to you but It is an ignorant assumption on your part to think that this is the attitude that I demonstrate when appling for a job or interviewing with someone.Also, I don't see what your thread title has to do with your question has to do with your questions/comments.This is what we in the industry like to call "a tickler heading" its meant to get you curious and read the rest and I can see it worked . Furthermore if you do want to relate it to my thread then Can you think about a moment in your life that some one has done something or has said something that you thought they had to be pulling your leg? You felt punked right? The same way someone feels when they apply to tons of jobs that they qualify for and sometimes are over qualified for and nothing. And if you do believe in God, maybe showing some respect and asking him for some guidance might do the trick. Yes I do have the up most respect for God or as I like to call him by his proper name Allah. We Muslims make dua at the end of our prayers five times a day. This is the moment that we ask him for guidance and for whatever else is on our minds. I applaud you for having so much faith we n=must remember that no matter what happens in our life's before we go crazy knocking on everybody's door the first one we should always knock on is his and i do ,Believe me I Do . JMHO
An ignorant assumption? Not really. You are showing a disrespectful attitude on this site, and at the same time asking for everyone's help? Just doesn't make sense. I'm sure some people who read this site could help you find a job, but I know if I were in a position to do such and I read your posts, I would not. Also keep in mind that this is the Internet, and a potential employer could very well come across your posts, whether it be now, or a year from now. How professional would that look?

And for your so-called "industry speak" tickler, give me a break. Again, a very disrespectful approach to asking for help. God doesn't "punk" anyone. You might be thinking of Ashton Kutcher.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 AM

989 posts, read 2,467,045 times
I have been reading this thread for awhile and wanted to comment as well. While I am both religiously and politically tolerant, there are a lot of people who might be put off by your devotion to your religion. While I respect that you wear your religion on your sleeve, others may be uncomfortable or even disagree with your religious choices. You seem to continue to highlight the importance of diversity in the workplace, but it seems as though your definition of diversity is being around more people like yourself. Again, I respect your choices as I would hope you would respect mine, but I have always found that, in professional and social settings, religion and politics are two subjects that should never be discussed. I only bring this up because it seems as though your religion is on the forefront of your thoughts and you seem to blame your religious choices (and others intolerance of them) for your inability to get a job. If you leave religion out of the job search altogether you may have better luck. Good luck in your job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or