Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,442 times

Advertisements

can any one tell me which private schools will allow 27th october cut off date to attend kindergarden in the assessment year 2009 - 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,442 times
can any one tell me which private schools will allow 27th october cut off date to attend kindergarden in the assessment year 2009 - 2010.Right now we are leaving in san antonio, texas.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,764,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Kindergarten isn't the problem. It's 7th grade, 10th grade, and when they are in college. Who wants to send a 16 or 17 year old off to college? WHY would anyone want to do that? Why wouldn't you want your kid around for another year? What's the rush?
Saw this post and just had to respond. I have a mid September birthday and started K when I was 4. At first it didn't matter...but as I got older, things were definitely harder for me because of age.

As a girl, I didn't develop as quickly as others. This may not sound like much, but when everyone else is, and you aren't, it doesn't make you feel too good.
I was the last of my friends to turn 16, therefore last to get my driver's license, last to get a job.

I started college at 17. My parents had to co-sign my school loans. This is a big one. If your kid turns irresponsible on you, guess who ends up paying those loans? You, because you're the co-signer. If I had been 18, my dad wouldn't have had to sign. Luckily, I was a good kid and paid them off myself. I missed out on some fun those first few weeks of college...I couldn't go to any of the 18 and over dance clubs with my new classmates. Talk about feeling like a misfit. I didn't turn 21 until I was a senior, so for junior year I got to sit home with the younger kids b/c no one wanted to invite someone who couldn't get into a bar. My best friend, who had flunked a grade, celebrated both her 21st and 22nd bdays without me...underage again! I just remembered! I couldn't attend the first Senior Happy Hour b/c I was only 20 for two more weeks! Yay, me!

Just an idea. I know it can sound trivial, but when it's you living it, it's hard.
I would never consider starting my kids earlier, even if they were ready.

Just my opinion, good luck!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
Please join my website to fight against this!! My child also has a late birthday and I think that the cut off date should be Dec 31st of each year!! As long as your child is 5 before the year ends then they should be allowed to enroll for that year!! It should be a choice for the parent whether or not they want their child to sit out a whole year! [url=http://changethelaw.webs.com/]Change the Law - Home[/url]
Please join me in this fight so we can change the law;late birthday's have suffered long enough

Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,661,918 times
I read your website; why don't you stop obsessing and do something productive. No matter what date schools choose someone will be born the next day. Fairfax County has a September 30th cutoff and my friend's daughter was born Oct. 1st but my friend was mature and just enrolled her daughter the next year. No big deal.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

85 posts, read 249,054 times
I'm not sure I understand the urgency of many parents to enroll their children in kindergarten. If given the choice of my child being the youngest in the class or oldest in the class, I'd immediately choose oldest in the class. Schools are teaching at a much higher level in kindergarten than in the past and many children enter kindergarten already reading beyond the kindergarten grade level. Why subject a younger child who may not be able to compete with that?

Instead, why not use the extra year to enroll your child in a 5-day 1/2 day pre-k program and enjoy the afternoons of your final year together? Just a thought. I was a kindergarten teacher and am a mother of 3. Of my 3 children, one was the oldest in the class and one the youngest and I now see in hindsight that keeping the younger one home an extra year may have been a more wise and selfless decision. They're only young for such a short time and it seems a shame to push them to grow up too soon.

Just my 2 cents - not worth much but wanted to give it anyway!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM

722 posts, read 1,975,583 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the urgency of many parents to enroll their children in kindergarten.
Yeah, I don't, either. My son is only 2, but I've already had a few friends ask me if I'm "upset" because he'll be turning 6 in Kindergarten. I don't even know how to answer that question. It's absurd. Of course I'm not upset! What's the hurry?

To be fair, I can understand that parents are frustrated by not being able to make the decision for their own kids. I can get behind "it's my kid, I should decide" - in theory. But there still has to be a cutoff SOMEWHERE, at some point. And this being NoVA, where every child is "gifted," more parents will inevitably come along and want to push that cutoff, too. It will never end. The school system has a responsibility to nip that in the bud. People here are competitive, and getting your kid through school a year sooner means you've "won," somehow.

Several of my friends have complained that their after-the-cutoff children will be bored at grade level. I have trouble getting all worked up over that problem, though. I was bored in school. My husband was bored in school. My friends were bored in school. Not because we're all geniuses, but because school is often boring for a child. I was bored when I was highly challenged, and I was bored when I got through my assignments easily. It had nothing to do with my age (I was neither youngest nor oldest in my class.) I wanted to be outside playing when I was young, and off hanging out with my friends when I was a teenager.

If a child is really so fantastically far ahead of everybody that being subjected to grade-level assignments is extreme torture for him, there are plenty of resources to address that. There are gifted and talented programs, there are enrichment programs, there is the option of skipping a grade, and there is, "suck it up kid." Of course I understand that no parent wants his child to hate going to school, and every parent strives to find the best fit for her child. But no cutoff date, or lack of cutoff date, is going to ensure that. The child who is bored in one class could be thrilled the next year with a different teacher or classmates he likes better or even sitting in the classroom with more windows in it. It could have nothing to do with age and grade level. Meanwhile, there are very real physical and social reasons for children - especially boys - to not relish being the youngest in the crowd. And while you can work around boredom, being much younger than your peers is something that doesn't go away.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 PM

85 posts, read 249,054 times
Athousandlogins - well said and my thoughts exactly.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,661,918 times
I agree. Some of the push for changes in the cutoff date comes from people who don't want to pay for the year of preschool or daycare since kindergarten is free.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 AM

34 posts, read 101,677 times
I have a child who has a November birthday. I was worried about her being bored in Kindergarten because she is very advanced compared to her peers. When I look at the other (very intelligent) children in her preschool class, she is the only one who can do addition and subtraction, read first and second grade words, and follow instructions that require several steps.

She also happens to be the smallest of all of her friends, even 4 and 3 year olds. I am so glad that I have waited. Yes, she'll turn 6 during the first few months of Kindergarten. I'm more concerned that she'll feel out of place later on. I am a middle school teacher and have seen first-hand how kids are teased because they are considerably smaller or bigger than the rest. I have also seen 11 year-old girls (who had moms who HAD to start them early) in classes with 15 year-old boys (who were held back repeatedly). I wouldn't want to have my daughter in a class with boys who were several years older. It's just my personal experience that young girls often experience peer pressure differently than boys and I'd rather not contribute to it by sending her to school early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia