U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,575,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Some low expense things I used to do with my kids when they were toddlers:.....

Thanks! Rep points to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,110,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Thanks! Rep points to you!
Thanks for the rep.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 PM

375 posts, read 802,083 times
Default Other Ideas..

HI there

I know that the Fairfax County Parks and Rec used to offer financial scholarships for classes so that might be something to look into for those of you who are short on $$.

Also, I have always found that if you volunteer somewhere like the Parks and Rec, you can usually take a class for free (if you have small kids, ask if you can volunteer for activities that they need someone to watch other kids or help with activities where you can bring your kids).

To the OP, There are TONS of historical places she could visit and get to know more about the US and the general NOVA area...they just redid MT Vernon in the last few years and it is SO cool now!! That might be an awesome place to volunteer as well -- Plus you meet lots of other people in your same shoes.

Other ideas -- Junior League is great, they are open to all women who want to make a difference in the community and you meet other great women to have as buddies.

Senior centers - always need volunteers to hang out with the seniors, and help lead classes, etc.

OH, I know!! Have her check out Fairfax Hospital for volunteering -- I think they have a new cancer ward for kids, and she might also be able to volunteer to hold the crack babies, as they need lots and lots of attention and nurturing.

INOVA HEALTH SYSTEM : VOLUNTEERS : Volunteers (http://www.inova.org/inova_fairfax_hospital/volunteers/index.jsp - broken link)

I think the libraries also keep track of a lot of volunteer opps in the community, and as large as NOVA is, she should be able to find one that meets her interests and time constraints.

I also love Glen Echo Park -- SOOO worth a day trip if she has the time:

Glen Echo Park

I grew up in Annandale VA when there was still a dirt road in areas in front of GMU. I LOVE the area, there is so much to do! If she just makes a list of her interests and ideas she has about what amount of time she'd like to spend, I am sure she'll find something she loves to do, and meet lots of great people that way as well!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 AM

64 posts, read 286,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmaheshp View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestions...she is not yet eligible to do the Job in USA. I think volunteering would keep her busy...any other ideas?
Oh, I so feel ya!!! Well, she is going to work in the future, right??? If so she can spend some quality time working on her resume, maybe visit some job fairs just to see how its like, so when she will finally be able to work she will know whats up.

How is her english??? If not so good then maybe english classes???

Is she driving??? If so then she should get lost a few times to get to know the area (thats how I do . If not, then public transportation could assist with learning the area pretty well too.

Good luck to both of ya!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or